Catherine

People I Was Surprised To Find Are Still Alive

2 hours ago, time said:

A reminder via Twitter that Freddie (seems to be the preferred spelling) is still going

Aye, and a website that includes evidence he still retains the services of an agent and is available for video greetings - maybe he should be employed in the latter capacity to promote the next DLCon 

Site: http://www.freddiedavies.com/

• Like 1

Patricia Birch, dancer, choreographer and director, particularly associated with choreographing on the film Grease and directing Grease 2. 93 this year, not a mention on the Forum previously.

• Like 1

On 25/06/2008 at 19:15, maryportfuncity said:

Edward de Bono is still alive, B. 1933. Worth keeping an eye on I reckon cos if anyone could figure a way round death, it'd be him.

On 19/05/2018 at 15:10, maryportfuncity said:

Edward de Bono (highly obitable) is 85 today. Didn't realise he was still around until I saw it mentioned in a paper.

You won't have to get surprised anymore Maryport. Edward de Bono dead.

https://www.maltatoday.com.mt/news/national/110162/father_of_lateral_thinking_edward_de_bono_has_died#.YMF-bPlKjIV

• Like 3

I laterally had no idea he was still alive.

It's early yet, need more coffee.

• Facepalm 1

Sue Barker's mother is 100 in a few days. 

• Like 3

50s/60s tennis journeyman Torben Ulrich, who once made it to the 4th round of Wimbledon, is still with us aged 92.

Has a more than decent obit chance for someone of his position in the game (world 96th) as his son is Lars Ulrich, Metallica co-founder and drummer.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, msc said:

50s/60s tennis journeyman Torben Ulrich, who once made it to the 4th round of Wimbledon, is still with us aged 92.

Has a more than decent obit chance for someone of his position in the game (world 96th) as his son is Lars Ulrich, Metallica co-founder and drummer.

92 is positively youthful for male tennis players. I read somewhere that of all the Wimbledon Male Singles finallists of the past 60 years (which must be about 50-60 people) only three are dead. 

• Shocked 1

1 hour ago, Deathrace said:

92 is positively youthful for male tennis players. I read somewhere that of all the Wimbledon Male Singles finallists of the past 60 years (which must be about 50-60 people) only three are dead. 

Only 5 of the male grandslam winners since 1960 have died, yes. But that's still almost entirely sports men aged under 85.

The fatal 5

Vitas Gerulaitis died aged 40 in a tragic carbon monoxide poisoning due to a faulty chimney in a house he was a guest in.

Arthur Ashe died of AIDS aged 49 due to a blood transfusion fuckup.

Andres Gimeno died in 2019 aged 82 after being ill for a long time.

Rafael Osuna was killed aged 30 in a plane crash.

Chuck McKinley died aged 45 of brain cancer.

Tennis is meant to add years to your life (there is no cure for accidents or plane crashes) but it's 80s+, so Ullrich is still at the higher end of tennis longevity.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, msc said:

Only 5 of the male grandslam winners since 1960 have died, yes. But that's still almost entirely sports men aged under 85.

The fatal 5

Vitas Gerulaitis died aged 40 in a tragic carbon monoxide poisoning due to a faulty chimney in a house he was a guest in.

Arthur Ashe died of AIDS aged 49 due to a blood transfusion fuckup.

Andres Gimeno died in 2019 aged 82 after being ill for a long time.

Rafael Osuna was killed aged 30 in a plane crash.

Chuck McKinley died aged 45 of brain cancer.

Tennis is meant to add years to your life (there is no cure for accidents or plane crashes) but it's 80s+, so Ullrich is still at the higher end of tennis longevity.

Of those five only Gimeno who lived a long life and McKinley died a natural death therefore I rest my case. 

• Like 1

Feminist sociologist Maria Mies, who I thought was long dead, is still around. Turned 90 this year and skimming through Google News I can't find her making any appearances or interviews in the past few years, so maybe a long-lister.

• Like 1

On 03/07/2018 at 02:26, YoungWillz said:

Idly perusing the picks this year (ok, it's nearly 2.30 am, what else?) I was surprised to learn that Alan Braden, composer of TV themes from way back, is still alive.

I see Pedro67 mentioned he'd picked him, but...well...I'm still surprised!

People are reporting that this is the death notice for Alan Braden: https://www.witneygazette.co.uk/announcements/deaths/deaths/19247048.Alan_BRADEN/

IMDB agrees: https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0102945/

DDP Pick this year.

I'd be absolutely astonished that the national press have not picked this up if this is true. 

• Like 2

Ground-breaking Irish travel writer who basically got on her bike, rode thousands of miles and wrote about it, Dervla Murphy. Read a book review today which mentioned she'd been interviewed by the author. She's still around and turns 90 in November

800px-Dervla_Murphy_Tibet_1965.jpg

On 08/04/2020 at 00:24, Sir Creep said:

Deathray asked (in the light of ABBA accomplishing the feat) what bands had all members reach 70.  Somehow that diminished to any band not even four members.

I got to wondering if Flatt & Scruggs made it (they didn’t) - which led me to a review of the Foggy Mountain Boys.  
Shockingly, bass player Bob Moore is still with us, a spry 87 in fact.  A name to toss around in future years in various less stringent DPs.  He was Patsy Cline’s principle bassist so maybe DDP worthy.

SirC

Bob Moore has died aged 88: https://musicrow.com/2021/09/nashville-a-team-musician-bob-moore-dies1/

• Like 2

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rubén_Darío_Paredes

Rubén Dario Paredes, Manuel Noriega's predecessor as the Military Leader of Panama. He only ruled a year in 1982-1983, resigned over a dispute concerning the government's attitude towards the United States involvement in Nicaragua and made a deal with Noriega that he would make Paredes the "president", however Noriega arrested him. Paredes is alive and 88 years old.

On 08/02/2021 at 20:34, arghton said:

70s:

Sabam Sirait (84) - Last signer of the declaration of the Indonesian Democratic Party

https://www.cnnindonesia.com/nasional/20210930000518-20-701288/pendiri-pdip-sabam-sirait-meninggal-dunia

Dead aged 84. The Indonesian Democratic Party was one of the two state-approved parties during Suharto's regime, Sirait was the first Secretary-General of the party from 1973 to 1986. Before that, during Sukarno's tenure in the 1960s he was the General Secretary of the Indonesian Christian Party.

• Like 1

Not sure if mentioned before, but Mao Zedong still has around three living legitimate children:

Yang Yuehua (1929-) Daughter of Mao and Mao's third wife He Zizhen. Alive?

Li Min (1936-) Daughter of Mao and He Zizhen.

Li Na (1940-) Daughter of Mao and his fourth wife: politician Jiang Qing. Widowed in March.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, arghton said:

Not sure if mentioned before, but Mao Zedong still has around three living legitimate children:

Yang Yuehua (1929-) Daughter of Mao and Mao's third wife He Zizhen. Alive?

Li Min (1936-) Daughter of Mao and He Zizhen.

Li Na (1940-) Daughter of Mao and his fourth wife: politician Jiang Qing. Widowed in March.

On what basis is this ‘surprising’?  Isn’t this thread limited to commonly known people?  Go ahead Arghton tell us how in the Arghton household ‘we chat about offspring of Chinese leaders all the time’.  

• Facepalm 1

4 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

On what basis is this ‘surprising’?  Isn’t this thread limited to commonly known people?  Go ahead Arghton tell us how in the Arghton household ‘we chat about offspring of Chinese leaders all the time’.  

Well, they used to be a DDP pick a few years ago. Not really the beating proof for their fame, but it is at least better than nothing.

https://www.derbydeadpool.co.uk/deadpool2010/celebs_M.html#minl

https://www.derbydeadpool.co.uk/deadpool2010/celebs_N.html#nal

I mean one can still have never heard of a name before discovering their existence (and still-alive-ness) and still be surprised that they're alive based on some element in their life. Even relative of X types. Like I don't think I ever actively thought about who the mother of the Everly Brothers was, but discovering she was still alive was so WTF it had to be shared (all the moreso now that she's outlived them both!).

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Death Impends said:

I mean one can still have never heard of a name before discovering their existence (and still-alive-ness) and still be surprised that they're alive based on some element in their life. Even relative of X types. Like I don't think I ever actively thought about who the mother of the Everly Brothers was, but discovering she was still alive was so WTF it had to be shared (all the moreso now that she's outlived them both!).

Yeah I mean on my shortlist is a name I was so surprised was still alive I nearly sent a PM to Ulitzer to double check before I remembered to check (an official website) which confirmed it. Would have sworn I heard they died a decade or more ago.

30 minutes ago, Death Impends said:

Also I made this post before fully checking the forum, ergo before seeing Joey's post that she just died.

Is this a weird new anti-superpower or just a strange coincidence. Hmm let's just make sure... Henry Kissinger, Henry Kissinger, Henry Kissinger

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Death Impends said:

President Tyler's grandsons being the classic example.

1 minute ago, Toast said:

President Tyler's grandsons being the classic example.

And only one of them are alive now.

On 05/09/2020 at 00:18, msc said:

Huh, Eero Aarnio, creator of the famous ball chairs every Bond Villain wannabe has, is still going and just turned 88.

eeroaarnio.thumb.png.9f7cf2515a50812e115dd1aff96e2e9c.png

Update on Eero Aarnio, creator of the Ball Chair, now 89:

Received some kind of an "lifetime achievement award" at a cultural gala last month. Spoke clearly, still sharp and could stand without a stick.