Catherine

People I Was Surprised To Find Are Still Alive

So, there's a credit at the end of  newly published The Premonition Bureau by Sam Knight (largely a book about maverick psychiatrist John Barker who died in 1968), that thanks Barker's former colleague David Enoch for assistance. 

Enoch is likely (Guardian/Telegraph) obitable and appears to be soldiering on in his mid-90's

Link: https://www.thefreelibrary.com/'Life+is+short+and+you+know+so+little'+He+was+at+the+forefront+of...-a0683936080

On 10/07/2021 at 22:56, maryportfuncity said:

Ground-breaking Irish travel writer who basically got on her bike, rode thousands of miles and wrote about it, Dervla Murphy. Read a book review today which mentioned she'd been interviewed by the author. She's still around and turns 90 in November

Dervla Murphy dead.

DDP pick.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Perhaps said:

Dervla Murphy dead.

DDP pick.

:( loved her in Ballykissangel.

• Haha 2

21 hours ago, Gisooo said:

Margery MacKay (IMDb) an American opera singer is alive at 96

She was the voice behind Peggy Wood's "Climb Every Mountain" in the Sound of Music.

https://tdn.com/lifestyles/it-never-occurred-to-margery-mckay-that-she-was-having-a-heart-attack/article_fcdd9ebc-d83d-5d58-96a9-dc3d6026f4f3.html

Margery MacKay | Seattle Opera - 50th Anniversary

That article is from 2003 (19 years ago!). Her 3rd husband Arnold died in 2001. She doesn't appear in any residency records which makes me wonder if she has died off radar in the last few years.

I will also add that 62 year olds who survive heart attacks seldom live to 96...

1 minute ago, Ulitzer95 said:

That article is from 2003 (19 years ago!). Her 3rd husband Arnold died in 2001. She doesn't appear in any residency records which makes me wonder if she has died off radar in the last few years.

I will also add that 62 year olds who survive heart attacks seldom live to 96...

Reminds me of my next door Neighbour he had his first heart attack at 35, had to retire early as a builder and had at least 10 heart attacks in his lifetime and eventually died aged 92 from a heart attack, not quite 96 but pretty close and pretty impressive he lived as long as he did. 

Fantastically confused tweet about Margery MacKay here, where not only does the person in question seem to think that "Climb Ev'ry Mountain" was in Gone with the Wind, but she's also attached a picture of not Margery MacKay, but Margery McNight Carr, the first woman to graduate from the MacKay Mining School. So in summary, absolutely no fucking use.

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

https://radaris.com/~Margery-Mackay/1459835420

Living in Thousand Oaks, California, her DOB is like IMDb "Sep 1925".

If she died off radar in the last few years, her name will be listed in SAG AFTRA like others

1 minute ago, Gisooo said:

https://radaris.com/~Margery-Mackay/1459835420

Living in Thousand Oaks, California, her DOB is like IMDb "Sep 1925".

If she died off radar in the last few years, her name will be listed in SAG AFTRA like others

Problem is Radaris contains names of people who died years ago. It's not reliable.

SAG-AFTRA often miss people. Hence why in their magazines the In Memoriam section always contains deaths from 2, 3, 5, even 10+ years ago, as they've just come to light.

This could very feasibly be her son on Facebook: a Mackay, mother called Margery, grew up in Hollywood, worked in the music industry, Margery would have been 30 when that photo was taken which looks about right....

EDIT: I'm pretty certain it is her, this is a press photo of MacKay. Looks very similar to the woman in the FB pic:

s-l1600.jpg

5 hours ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Fantastically confused tweet about Margery MacKay here, where not only does the person in question seem to think that "Climb Ev'ry Mountain" was in Gone with the Wind, but she's also attached a picture of not Margery MacKay, but Margery McNight Carr, the first woman to graduate from the MacKay Mining School. So in summary, absolutely no fucking use.

She was likely useful where engineering skills were required to extract minerals from the ground. But I take your point!

Italian actress Gianna Piaz (Wiki) who voiced classic Hollywood actresses like Katherine Hepburn, Mary Wickes, Geraldine Page in Italian version is still alive at 98

Last credit was in 2005, but appeared in 2018 in a advertisement of Italian Foundation. 

Gianna Piaz - Wikidata

Dunno why but I'd thought that Andy Nelson - football manager who smashed several good seasons and some promotions in the 70's - was dead. Still with us and approaching his 87th birthday, apparently 

Wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andy_Nelson_(footballer)

Recently saw a Facebook post about longtime New York news anchorman Bill Jorgensen, who retired back in the 1980’s. Apparently, he is still alive at age 95

Found out a couple of Disney legends from the 50's appeared for an online convention a month ago, which is quite a surprise.

David Frankham (95) who voiced Sgt. Tibbs in the 1961 version of 101 Dalmatians

Margaret Kerry (93) who voiced Tinker Bell in the 1953 version of Peter Pan

Donnie Dunagan (87) who voiced young Bambi in the 1942 namesake film

Peter Behn (87) who voiced young Thumper in the 1942 version of Bambi

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, TheSpinosaurus said:

Margaret Kerry (93) who voiced Tinker Bell in the 1953 version of Peter Pan

Margaret Kerry was the model of Tinker Bell not the voice. Tinker has no voice.

Plus I am surprised you didn't knew it they are still alive

There are also many others alive like Cate Bauer, Roddy Maudde-Roxby, Mary Costa, Lisa Davis, Moncia Evans etc

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Gisooo said:

Margaret Kerry was the model of Tinker Bell not the voice. Tinker has no voice.

Plus I am surprised you didn't knew it they are still alive

There are also many others alive like Cate Bauer, Roddy Maudde-Roxby, Mary Costa, Lisa Davis, Moncia Evans etc

I only really knew about David Frankham from one of his other roles, the rest were pretty unknown to me because I just don't know much about 1950's Disney.

That being said asides from maybe Frankham, none of the names are immediate DL potential as they all appear very well in the online convention I mentioned.

Bonnie Langford's mother Babette Langford. 92 this year.

I assume even her IMDB credit wouldn't necessarily qualify her for the DDP?

British scrip supervisor Elaine Schreyeck (IMDb) is still alive at 97

Elaine Schreyeck - IMDb

While looking up yesterday's birthday boy Jimmy Greenhoff, I discovered that the referee of that 1972 League Cup Final, and also the 1971 FA Cup final, Norman Burtenshaw, is still alive (unless he's died off-radar) at the age of 96.

The chance of a qualifying obit for an old ref is somewhat iffy, but what might help is the fact that the 1971 Cup Final was the match that gave Arsenal the League & Cup double. He was also famously knocked to the ground (and knocked unconscious according to his own version of the story) by pitch-invading millwall fans, and was mobbed by unhappy Benfica fans after they lost 6-2 to Arsenal.

1 hour ago, time said:

While looking up yesterday's birthday boy Jimmy Greenhoff, I discovered that the referee of that 1972 League Cup Final, and also the 1971 FA Cup final, Norman Burtenshaw, is still alive (unless he's died off-radar) at the age of 96.

The chance of a qualifying obit for an old ref is somewhat iffy, but what might help is the fact that the 1971 Cup Final was the match that gave Arsenal the League & Cup double. He was also famously knocked to the ground (and knocked unconscious according to his own version of the story) by pitch-invading millwall fans, and was mobbed by unhappy Benfica fans after they lost 6-2 to Arsenal.

Talking of early 1970s referees, Ray Tinkler who refereed the infamous Leeds v West Brom match at the end of the 1970-71 season - "And Leeds will go mad..." - appears to still be alive well into his 90s. He looked old then. He might have died off the radar of course but was still alive relatively recently which is more than can be said for many of the players in this match. 

• Shocked 1

I also note that very controversial 1970s Welsh referee Clive Thomas, who refereed at the 1974 and 1978 World Cups is still alive aged 85. 

• Shocked 1