Catherine

People I Was Surprised To Find Are Still Alive

I'm currently watching a documentary about the final days of the German 9th Army at the end of WWII. It shows an interview with Hans-Dietrich Genscher, at the time of the interview already former Foreign Minister of the Federal Republic. In 1945 he was a soldier in General Walther Wenck's (no sN-wording!) 12th Army.

As Foreign Minister Genscher negociated the reunificaiton with the GDR. The day before yesterday he celebrated his 88th birthday. Here's an interview with him in November last year about the fall of the Berlin Wall, 25 years earlier.

Two names I saw on other teams lists: Rona Barrett and Dr Ruth Westheimer. I'd have bet your life they were both long gone.

I also saw a couple days ago the accordion player from The Gong Show, Milton DeLugg, is kicking it and still performing at 98!

Sir C

Cheers, with that 98 year old squeeze box fiend I duly start my 2016 possibles file.

See my post over at Dead of 2015, he's no longer a viable pick. RIP Milton.

James Galway. Always a shock.

Yes. Every time I see him on something I think "hang on, didn't he die? Oh no that was James Last" then I realise James Last is still alive too.

• Like 5

Yes. Every time I see him on something I think "hang on, didn't he die? Oh no that was James Last" then I realise James Last is still alive too.

Aye, but there's loads online of late about Last's health (which isn't critical but is bad enough to have made the current big tour his farewell jaunt)

Don Larsen, the baseball pitcher who threw the only perfect game in the World Series, 85 now.

PerfectLarsen.jpg

The catcher in that game, Yogi Berra (in the picture with an 8 on his back), is also still with us at 89, but I knew that.

After coming across this 2013 article:

http://mobile.philly.com/news/?wss=/philly/news&id=231493261

I was stunned to find that former Pennsylvania Senator Vince Fumo, who lived in federal prison 2010-2014, and who has had heart attacks and prostate cancer, is well and good at 70.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vince_Fumo

"This is not the first serious health trouble for Fumo, 70, who has had three heart attacks. The most recent heart attack happened while he was still in federal prison in Ashland, Ky. in January."

SC

Meadowlark Lemon of the Harlem Globetrotters just had a birthday. I could have sworn he was away years ago.

Here is my list of people I am shocked that are still living:

1)Sir Nicholas Winton

2)Lupita Tovar

3)Clare Hollingworth

4)Roberta McCain

5)Douglas Slicombe

6)Mary Carlisle

7)Prince Mikasa of Japan

8)Mary Wilson (Harold Wilson`s widow)

9)Zsa Zsa Gabor

10) Diana Sera Carey

11)Sheila Mercier

12)Lord Peter Carrington

13)Marge Champion

14)Alan Young

15)Jerry Maren

16)Henry Heimlich

17)Liam Cosgrove

18)Irving Kanarek

19)Liz Smith

20) Boutros-Boutros Ghali

Guest Guest

Was surprised to find out that singer Ben E. King known for the song "Stand By Me" is still alive.

http://en.wikipedia....iki/Ben_E._King

I just sort of assumed that he would have been one of those people who would have died a long time ago.

Was surprised to find out that singer Ben E. King known for the song "Stand By Me" is still alive.

http://en.wikipedia....iki/Ben_E._King

I just sort of assumed that he would have been one of those people who would have died a long time ago.

Sadly unless you followed him avidly, he drifted away from the limelight only to be brought out again for nostalgia concerts and the occasional inclusion for TV and film soundtracks

Mad Mike Hoare is still meant to be above ground.

96 now.

Kenneth Anger, film maker, arch satanist and bloke born in 1927, still alive according to Wikipedia. HTF did that happen?

Aye, but there's loads online of late about Last's health (which isn't critical but is bad enough to have made the current big tour his farewell jaunt)

At least there won't be any confusion over the Last/Galway matter, nice way to remember is Last was first!

• Like 2

Cicely Tyson. I'm sure I read a review a few years ago which referred to her as "the late Cicely Tyson" and never thought to check until now.

I was watching a Japanese crime drama called Zero Focus from 1961 on TCM a few weeks ago and the next day I decided to go on imdb to see if anyone from the film was still alive. Surprisingly the lead actress Yoshiko Kuga and the 2 other main female charecters are all alive,although Yoskiko is probably the only one that would get an orbit from english speaking countries.

Another of the opposite problem. Over the past few days I have been stalked by the song "Ain't Nothing Going On But The Rent" So I thought that I better check in on Gwen Guthrie and just found out she died in 1999.

Never knew that.

:D ironic ala , nah....

I've been stalked by staying alive since posting that magnificent movie mash up in 'things to do' a couple of days back.

Gotta love disco :)

David Edgerton (One half of the founding fathers of Burger King) is still living

He turned 88 earlier this year (And that's pretty much all I could find about him)

Pastor Edgar ray killen who was involved in the 1964 Mississippi lynchings is still alive at age 90

I thought Anton Mosimann had died earlier this year or late last year, so was surprised to see him pop up on Masterchef tonight.

I only found out because of this forum that tippi hepdren is still alive. I thought she died in 2009.

I only found out because of this forum that tippi hepdren is still alive. I thought she died in 2009.

She did an interview a year ago talking about how Hitchcock tried to destroy her career because she wouldn't sleep with him.

And another about Cecil the lion http://blog.sfgate.com/dailydish/2015/07/30/tippi-hedren-lion-killing-affected-me-physically/