Catherine

People I Was Surprised To Find Are Still Alive

William Goldman, who not only wrote the screenplay for my favourite movie "The Princess Bride", but is also the author of the original book.

Among his other works (screenplays or novels): Marathon Man, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, All of the Presidents Men, A Bridge Too Far

I'm sure some of y'all knew he was still among the living (now 84), but this is a delightful surprise for me.

• Like 2

John D. Loudermilk, the original singer/writer, for the song Tobacco Road.

Abe Vigoda (95) and on the Deathlist for '16 has been mistakenly reported as deceased at least twice over the years, first by People magazine way back in 1982, then by a large northeastern US TV station several years later. I knew he was still alive, but many people think he's been long gone. This has become something of a running joke which Vigoda has played along with in good humor. Ironically, perhaps, actress Florence Stanler who played his television wife on the Barney Miller spin-off series Fish in 1977 - 1978 died herself in 2003.

Richard Bach, author of highly overrated novella Jonathan Livingston Seagull. Alive and turns 80 this year.

DB Cooper I have said too much

He's in Cuba living the highlife with Lord Lucan and Jimmy Hoffa. :P

• Like 1

DB Cooper I have said too much

He created that Coca Cola jingle in the last episode and Betty got cancer.

http://www.imdb.com/list/ls057148557?start=101&view=detail&sort=birth_date:ascthanks to this kind imbd user who made a list of Oscar nominated actors you can see that hal halbrook is currently the oldest living Oscar nominated actors followed closely by George Kennedy.

Bobby Brown, the manager of Scotland from 1967-71, when Scotland famously won 3-2 at Wembley. Apparently he's quite vocal in the press too, it just completely passed me by, probably because Ormond and McLeod are long gone.

But the one that really stunned me was learning via a documentary recently (where he was interviewed) that Pierre Delauney is apparently still with us. DVD Interview was from 2011/12, and he was a big wig within UEFA, so I'd suspect they'd have made a big fuss if he'd since passed away.

This might seem childlish, but I was very surprised to find John Gavin and John Astin still alive. I don't know why, but while I think it is normal to see Zsa Zsa, Kirk and Olivia alive, I find shocking the fact Gavin-Astin are not dead yet although they are much younger. I mean, they completeley disappeared and one of them will definitely die before the end of the year. :shoot:

This might seem childlish, but I was very surprised to find John Gavin and John Astin still alive. I don't know why, but while I think it is normal to see Zsa Zsa, Kirk and Olivia alive, I find shocking the fact Gavin-Astin are not dead yet although they are much younger. I mean, they completeley disappeared and one of them will definitely die before the end of the year. :shoot:

I'm always pleasantly surprised to recall John Astin is still alive. Loved Eerie Indiana as a child.

I'm always pleasantly surprised to recall John Astin is still alive. Loved Eerie Indiana as a child.

He's one of the three living actors from The Addams Family, the other two being Lisa Loring (b. 1958) and Felix Silla (b. 1937). Silla is a dwarf and this could be his year... I've never seen a 80-year old dwarf (oh, yes I know dwarfism it is not related with lifespan, but still I don't think dwarves can live many years).

Right,,,,,

On the back of the death of Ali , and the , lol, whitewash , of his Nation of Islam connection, it took me back to that famous picture of the American Nazi Party at a Nation of Islam rally to give support (and donations).

George+Lincoln+Rockwell+and+members+of+t

Now, the big cheese in the middle was George Lincoln Rockwell, an all American WW2 and Korean hero, with controversial views who would these days be labeled a pinko faggit by the Democratic Party.

He was assassinated in '67 by a John Patler https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Patler , who far as I can see is out of jail and now 78.

One for the future, as they say.....

Ramblin' Jack Elliott. Released his first album in 1955, Bob Dylan originally was marketed (falsely) as "the son of Jack Elliott", the fact he's not hagiographed to bits by BBC 4 means I assumed he was long gone (lonesome blues), but he's still around at 84.

What about Paul McCartney? So many people claiming him to be dead lol.

By 1980 some people thought only Ringo was left alive, at least that's what this book bangs on about:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Beatles-Myths-Legends-Neil-Nixon/dp/1908728558/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1465332391&sr=1-1&keywords=neil+nixon

• Like 1

By 1980 some people thought only Ringo was left alive, at least that's what this book bangs on about:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Beatles-Myths-Legends-Neil-Nixon/dp/1908728558/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1465332391&sr=1-1&keywords=neil+nixon

Well, why did they think George was dead then? I mean John died that year, what rumors about George being dead happened? He's dead now obviously, but what about back then.

Well, why did they think George was dead then? I mean John died that year, what rumors about George being dead happened? He's dead now obviously, but what about back then.

Buy the book and find out.

• Like 4

A better question to ask is 'who is Neil Nixon?' :bow:

• Like 2

Indeed - buy the book and find out, but the gist of it is that someone contacted the press in the US in 1976 claiming George had died two years earlier. What's truly weird about this story is that that would make proper George's last album "Living in the Material World" (i.e. drawing attention to both his physical existence and also the fact it is temporary) and imposter George opened his account with the Dark Horse album (i.e. an album with a title track saying he isn't what he seems).

According to this Wiki page there's a chance that a noted Canadian baritone singer - Leslie Holmes (b. 1901) - is still alive.

Anyone know better - cos I don't see him on the super-centenarians page of the same online source?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leslie_Holmes

According to this Wiki page there's a chance that a noted Canadian baritone singer - Leslie Holmes (b. 1901) - is still alive.

Anyone know better - cos I don't see him on the super-centenarians page of the same online source?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leslie_Holmes

Found this: http://id.loc.gov/authorities/names/no2009133988.html so dead since 1960?

Edit: Might not be the same guy given the birth place. Hmmm.

Antonio Tejero (b. 1932) who tried a coup d'état in Spain in 1981. Really an anachronistic man.

So anyway....

I thought I'd do a round up of those mentioned in this thread who continue to defy our readers' disbelief and continue breathing. Wiki/IMDB so usual disclaimers. I've listed those in the thread up to the end of 2015, a lot of whom are regularly discussed, but some you may have forgotten posting about. Listed by initial of first name where I can. Couple of question marks against those I'm suspicious of or have glossed over.

Part A (A - L)

Abi and Esther Ofarim

Albert Moses

Angela Lansbury

Anita Harris

Ann Emery (d. 2016)

Ann Hamilton (British actress)

Anton Mosimann

Archie Norman (Doctor)

Arthur Janov

Bernard Lewis (Historian)

Beverly Cleary