Catherine

People I Was Surprised To Find Are Still Alive

Somewhere in this thread, I mentioned James Van Allen the 91 going on 92 year old space scientist who discovered the radiation belts around Earth.

I took a chance and added him to my DDP without knowing about his health, but apparentely he's cognizant enough to be writing a forward to a space book.

Granted, it's not a marathon, but it's still something. Cross another one off the list for next year it would seem.

Mike Winters, brother of the late Bernie "Schnorbitz" Winters. Of little interest as he's not that old(born 1930). I just thought he'd died ages ago that's all

Imagine if Mike Winters and Ernie Wise, partnerless and bored, had formed a double act. Man we'd have booed them off in favour of the Krankies.

Imagine if Mike Winters and Ernie Wise, partnerless and bored, had formed a double act. Man we'd have booed them off in favour of the Krankies.

Still would have been preferable to the Chuckle Brothers though

John Archibald Wheeler, who I mentioned early in this thread and who I placed on my DDP, apparentely helped contribute to an Einstein book.

Not exactly health news, but I haven't heard anything on him for ages, so it's interesting nonetheless.

I noticed on Genarians.com that Paul Halmos, inventor of the tombstone notation for mathematical proofs, just turned 90. I would have thought he died years ago, but apparentely not. Not sure if he's famous enough though (being the pretentious universitwunt that I am), and for all I know he's in perfect health, but just thought I'd float that one out there.

Gone now.

Somewhere in this thread, I mentioned James Van Allen the 91 going on 92 year old space scientist who discovered the radiation belts around Earth.

I took a chance and added him to my DDP without knowing about his health, but apparentely he's cognizant enough to be writing a forward to a space book.

Boy, never felt so good to be so wrong. :(

Not a Nobel Prize winner, but a daughter and sister of three Eve Curie will be 102 on December 6th.

Otto von Habsburg has been found - yesterday, there was the first part of a documentary series on his family. I've yet to listen to it, though I will. The Habsburgs are great - they make my family look sane and genetically normal.

Not much chance in him dying soon though. Look at his siblings :

* Crown Prince Otto (1912–)

* Archduchess Adelheid (1914–1971)

* Archduke Robert (1915–1996)

* Archduke Felix (1916–)

* Archduke Karl Ludwig (1918–)

* Archduke Rudolf (1919–)

* Archduchess Charlotte (1921–1989)

* Archduchess Elisabeth (1922–1993)

How many other other 94 year olds have three brothers aged 90, 88 and 87? There's a good record of longevity in the Habsburgs over the last couple of centuries. Not from these children's father, though - he died of pneumonia at 34.

* Crown Prince Otto (1912–)

* Archduchess Adelheid (1914–1971)

* Archduke Robert (1915–1996)

* Archduke Felix (1916–)

* Archduke Karl Ludwig (1918–)

* Archduke Rudolf (1919–)

* Archduchess Charlotte (1921–1989)

* Archduchess Elisabeth (1922–1993)

All the women are dead. Very unusual. 4 very old guys. Some blood line.

All the women are dead. Very unusual. 4 very old guys. Some blood line.

Seems Otto & co got their longevity from various sources, as indicated in this nifty chart :

habsburg.gif

Respect to Zita; her genes have to count for summat in the longevity of her kids. Gave birth seven times and died within touching distance of a ton.

By comparison the royal family of lowly Luxembourg live average spans. I'm counting on that in my WDP where the 85 year old former head of state Jean, widowed 2005, is one of my picks.

Respect to Zita; her genes have to count for summat in the longevity of her kids. Gave birth seven times and died within touching distance of a ton.

By comparison the royal family of lowly Luxembourg live average spans. I'm counting on that in my WDP where the 85 year old former head of state Jean, widowed 2005, is one of my picks.

Otto sounds pretty coherent to me, especially for someone who's 94 in eleven days.

http://www.planet-cutie.co.uk/otto_von_habsburg.mp3

(right-click to download, file is 261k, oh can anyone tell me how to get mp3s to open and play in Firefox 2.0)

[...]oh can anyone tell me how to get mp3s to open and play in Firefox 2.0

Installing Winamp is one way.

regards,

Hein

Admiral George Stephen Morrison, for a long time the youngest admiral in US naval history. For all time doomed to be remembered mainly as Jim Morrison's dad. B 1920 but has just contributed to the book 'The Doors by The Doors.'

Reading the BBC's Puskas tribute page, I found that former England goalkeeper (whom the "Golden Team" Hungarians put 13 goals past in 2 two games) Gil Merrick is still alive. 85 in January, apparently. Also, he's the second most famous person with his surname.

What!!!!

The Elephant Man played in goal for England? Why did they leave it out of the movie?

What!!!!

The Elephant Man played in goal for England? Why did they leave it out of the movie?

Here's Merrick turning out for Birmingham City in the 50s :

merrick.jpg

Reading the BBC's Puskas tribute page, I found that former England goalkeeper (whom the "Golden Team" Hungarians put 13 goals past in 2 two games) Gil Merrick is still alive. 85 in January, apparently. Also, he's the second most famous person with his surname.

In excellent health, too, still visits matches regularly. Considering that's at Birmingham City, it's amazing he hasn't committed suicide yet.

Sounds like a fascinating old coot.I assume he's a descendant of Joanna The Mad?

All the Habsburgs are, and pretty much all of Europe's royals are. Otto is a 12xgreat grandson of Joanna (or so my back-of-an-envelope calculations tell me). The UK's Queen Liz is a 13Xgreat granddaughter of Joanna.

Dora Jessie Saint aka Miss Read. Thought she'd died long ago

• Like 1