Cowboy Ronnie

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad

Iran's President appears to be out to compile the world's biggest list of people who want to kill him (challenging the three B's - Bush, Blair and Beckham). Not content with antagonizing the US and Israel, who are both pretty good at taking out people they don't like, he's now undertaking a massive purge of his own government, drawing the ire of many fellow Iranians.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/iran/story/0,12858,1645457,00.html

I know wishful thinking when nominating candidates is discouraged, but still.......

Of all the unpleasant national leaders we've had on the Deathlist, only Kim-il Sung ever carked it during an appearence, and he was already 82, which is fairly old relative to Ahmadinejad (although not, in all fairness, for the DL).

The United States has mucked up its attempts to "fix" Iran too often for it to want to mess around in there at the moment, especially with the Iraq War kerfuffel. Israel too is looking good in the world's eyes at the moment, so risking an assassination (especially after what happened with Syria and Rafik Hariri) would be unwise on their part.

So why not stick it in assassinations? I was castigated for starting new posts when I joined. Quite right too but no-one else seems to give a bugger. My close to death Yorkshire folk thread - destroyed by an immoderate moderator - was a damned sight more interesting than some of the stuff I've been seeing in the past few days. Sorry but Godot is grumpy today. Who's more interesting, some bloke whose name I can neither spell nor pronounce, or Mollie Sugden?

So why not stick it in assassinations? I was castigated for starting new posts when I joined. Quite right too but no-one else seems to give a bugger. My close to death Yorkshire folk thread - destroyed by an immoderate moderator - was a damned sight more interesting than some of the stuff I've been seeing in the past few days. Sorry but Godot is grumpy today. Who's more interesting, some bloke whose name I can neither spell nor pronounce, or Mollie Sugden?

Scarily enough, I agree with you. But I didn't start this thread, nor am I a moderator. But some wandering mod I'm sure will pick up on this.

This thread was started before the assassinations thread.

Maybe Godot should stop feeling Grumpy and concentrate on Snow White instead.

Gruss Grott you're right. I see it attracted a lot of takers.

Gruss Grott you're right. I see it attracted a lot of takers.

I blame the thread title,

It should have been called "Irans (P)resident nutter".

Yes that has a certain Sugdenesque ring to it

So why not stick it in assassinations? I was castigated for starting new posts when I joined. Quite right too but no-one else seems to give a bugger. My close to death Yorkshire folk thread - destroyed by an immoderate moderator - was a damned sight more interesting than some of the stuff I've been seeing in the past few days. Sorry but Godot is grumpy today.  Who's more interesting, some bloke whose name I can neither spell nor pronounce, or Mollie Sugden?

This thread was started before the assassinations thread.

Maybe Godot should stop feeling Grumpy and concentrate on Snow White instead.

Only just got that. I'm feeling dopey now.

Funny how there's not too much about this on the bigger news sites...

Well, it's from WingNutDaily.

regards,

Hein

Stew Albert, Vietnam protestor dies. Hardly a near miss, no big cheese, but we still need people like this before George nukes Iran.

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c...2/01/ALBERT.TMP

I'm no fan of GWB, but if he had to go after anyone, it should have been Iran instead of Iraq, for various off-topic reasons that I won't go into.

I'm no fan of GWB, but if he had to go after anyone, it should have been Iran instead of Iraq, for various off-topic reasons that I won't go into.

Then why do you mention it? As I see it there's no reason to bring war to any nation. I accept war in defence, if grudgingly, but a nation that goes to war offensively is committing a crime against humanity. In the past politicians were put to death for that after losing the war.

regards,

Hein

Then why do you mention it? As I see it there's no reason to bring war to any nation. I accept war in defence, if grudgingly, but a nation that goes to war offensively is committing a crime against humanity. In the past politicians were put to death for that after losing the war.

regards,

Hein

Well personally, I think Iran is a serious obstacle to world peace.

Before I talk, keep in mind that I do study the Middle East as part of my degree. Not that that makes me any more qualified to comment, but just so that no one says that I don't know what I'm talking about.

Personally I agree. I think ideally, there should be no war. If people were rational, then differences could be worked out through diplomacy. Personally, I think that GWB should not have declared war on anyone.

Iran, during the 2004 Olympics, paid its judokas not to participate against Israeli athletes. That upset me more than anything to be honest. The Olympics is essentially a multi-million (or is it billion now?) dollar effort to bring nations of the world together and have them compete in a friendly, peaceful setting. Disrespecting it by spreading hatred is something that I think is deeply offensive to the ideals of a peaceful world.

The leaders of Iran are undiscinering in their disapporval of the West. Canada, who has had no imperialist or intrusive military advances, was threatened by Iran and refused to co-operate when an Iranian-Canadian was killed in their country. They kicked her own son out when he tried to reclaim the body, and refused to allow the police involved to be tried in an open court. What has Canada done to Iran to deserve that kind of scorn?

I'm not suggesting that war should be declared. I'm not suggesting that there should be a forced "regime change." Perhaps I misspoke in the interest of consolidation. I have met many people from Iran, and I know that the people are absolutely not the problem. I think, however, the efforts should be put in place to remove the current regime, which I feel is a detrement to peace.

I must apologize, I didn't mean that war should be declared. I just meant that if he HAD to pick a country (and let's face it, we knew GWB was going to do it), he would have been more justified to attack Iran.

But I don't think he should have attacked anyone.

Well personally, I think Iran is a serious obstacle to world peace.

I'm no friend of Iran and I appreciate your misgivings to that state. While, to the best of my knowledge, Iran is not at war with any nation, there's strong evidence that Iran supports terrorist organisations. The recent trouble about nuclear technology is disturbing.

Personally I agree. I think ideally, there should be no war. If people were rational, then differences could be worked out through diplomacy. Personally, I think that GWB should not have declared war on anyone.

That, of course, is excactly my point.

I can show the scars the Luftwaffe, the RAF and the USAF left in my home town, 60 years after WWII. When I was a child there were still large empty spaces in city centre.

Thousands of my town people were deported to extermination camps. Few returned.

Thousands of our men were made slaves in Germany. Many didn't return.

I assure you war here is not the same as a war far away.

As it is Dutch parliament is now disussing whether we should send a regiment to Afghanistan in a NATO effort to secure peace there. We're not keen.

regards,

Hein

If I was going to declare war on any country it would be Tokelau. Population 1500, no defence force and no history of combat. The war would be over by lunch.

If I was going to declare war for political or humanitarian reasons it would be on the Democratic Republic of Congo. But that one might be harder to win. ;)

The war would be over by lunch.

the same would be true if one decided to invade France

It would certainly have to stop for lunch, at least. ;)

It would certainly have to stop for lunch, at least. ;)

You've just said exactly what I was thinking Capt.

The French have their priorities right, war is one thing, but lunch is a serious business.

Also if the Brits were involved, they'd need to be numerous tea breaks.