Catherine

George Best

The Ulster Bank are to issue a new £5 note next month with George's picture on it.

Also prominently displayed, the words: Drinking Voucher.

:birthday::birthday::lol:

That's genius, if they put famous Proddys on the notes the hard-line republicans won't fill a lorry with them and run off!

That's genius, if they put famous Proddys on the notes the hard-line republicans won't fill a lorry with them and run off!

Wrong bank , that was the Northern with their shitty plastic fivers! The funny thing is the Ulster has green notes not orange :birthday:

This thread's OK but there's a Peckinpah movie on the other side. Someone shot the piano player. I didn't see nuthin but someone needs to start measuring up the stiffs. This site ain't big enough for all of 'em.

The Ulster Bank are to issue a new £5 note next month with George's picture on it.

Is that to symbolise the amount of money Georgie pissed away?

I think it's a crime that everybody paid so much attention to him last year. It's very aggravating. He let us all down f****n dropping dead 36 days to early.

Guest David

I wouldn't have thought so. It's so people don't forget what a great player he was.

Edited by Magere Hein

Guest David

Who in heaven's name was Wilf Mannion? Because I support Newcastle I only know Jackie Milburn and I've also heard of Raich Carter - but I don't know who he was.

Wilf Mannion was an absolute genius. I know it's used often, but he was. There's a book about him, Golden Boy. Well worth a read. Very little DVD/video clips of him playing, I would imagine, but if you say Wilf Mannion to any Middlesbrough fan, watch their face light up, even if they never saw him. He was Brian Clough's all-time favourite and a huge influence on Bobby Charlton. That, in itself, should tell you something.

That you haven't heard of him isn't your fault, more the media's fixation with "Is it on tape? No? Well, it don't count" and also, those that saw Mannion play are dying off, where as the present media saw George Best play at his pomp, hence when he (and Osgood) died, they were mourning their lost youth.

Milburn wasa fine player too. By coincidence, we were in Newcastle on the day of Milburn's funeral, my Dad & I. I've rarely seen anything like it.

So were my brother Scot and I. Although we were only six and didn't really know who Jackie was, my Dad took us. Even though it was a freezing day, we were both wearing our United strips in honour of the guy we all knew as Wor Jackie.

If you do find a decent video/DVD of Mannion playing, check it out. You won't be disappointed. And I'm not a Middlesbrough fan, so I'm not biased here.

Guest David

Who in heaven's name was Wilf Mannion? Because I support Newcastle I only know Jackie Milburn and I've also heard of Raich Carter - but I don't know who he was.

Wilf Mannion was an absolute genius. I know it's used often, but he was. There's a book about him, Golden Boy. Well worth a read. Very little DVD/video clips of him playing, I would imagine, but if you say Wilf Mannion to any Middlesbrough fan, watch their face light up, even if they never saw him. He was Brian Clough's all-time favourite and a huge influence on Bobby Charlton. That, in itself, should tell you something.

That you haven't heard of him isn't your fault, more the media's fixation with "Is it on tape? No? Well, it don't count" and also, those that saw Mannion play are dying off, where as the present media saw George Best play at his pomp, hence when he (and Osgood) died, they were mourning their lost youth.

Milburn wasa fine player too. By coincidence, we were in Newcastle on the day of Milburn's funeral, my Dad & I. I've rarely seen anything like it.

If you do find a decent video/DVD of Mannion playing, check it out. You won't be disappointed. And I'm not a Middlesbrough fan, so I'm not biased here.

Scot and I were at Jackie Milburn's funeral as well. It was a biting cold day - but, although we were only six, Dad took us into the city - in our United strips - to salute the guy the entire football world knew as Wor Jackie.

The £5 notes will be issued on Mon 27th, You can get them from the Ulster bank for £5 (funny enough!) or go on ebay and pay up to £30! :D

Guest David

Scot and I were at Jackie Milburn's funeral as well. It was a biting cold day - but, although we were only six, Dad took us into the city - in our United strips - to salute the guy the entire football world knew as Wor Jackie.

Hey, Oneshot Paddy - you've got the same name as my cousin!

I'm getting an eerie sense of deja vu on this thread....

Guest David

Yeah, this is my favourite thread. It's class, like.

Guest Guest

Yeah, this is my favourite thread. It's class, like.

Like what ???

Guest David

I see Calum Best missed his grandad Dickie's funeral then. Too busy partying so they reckon. That is insensitive of him and I hope he gets a good telling - off. He's gonna follow his dad into bad habits and an early grave, that boy.

Guest David
soliciting for organs!

Oo er, missus! That's against the law in this country!

:skull:

Might be, but that's what he did. As we were sitting there listening to the tributes, he was actually asking for organ donors. I must admit, I thought that was pretty insensitive. I don't know what the relatives thought - but I was shocked by it. Surely there are more appropriate places to do that than at a funeral - and that of a hero like George was.

Guest David

That's right - he'd been declared bankrupt hadn't he? All Calum got was a watch - although one of the sisters got quite a lot.

Guest Scot
According to this Best had two secret daughters.

They can't be bringing this up in the hope of getting an inheritance because he didn't have a bean. In fact he even got his hospital treatment free.

Yeah, that's true, he was absolutely broke. That's because Alex had skinned him in their divorce. Actually, that's not true. He'd been declared bankrupt not long before he worsened - so that's why he was skint. Funny - I actually like Alex now. It's already two years since he passed on - and now his dad Dickie's joined him.

My favourite funeral tribute was the one by Denis Law. I've always liked him - being a fellow Scot and a brilliant striker - but what really strikes you about him is his warmth and honesty. I mean that day when he cried after seeing George so desperately unfit, you could really see the honesty and kindness in his heart. And let me tell you this - it takes a big man and a true Scot to shed a tear so openly. And when he was giving that tribute in Stormont, I've never heard a more honest, caring guy or such a loving, sincere and heartfelt tribute. So let's salute the Scots striker with ice in his shot but warmth in his heart.

Guest David

They can't be bringing this up in the hope of getting an inheritance because he didn't have a bean. In fact he even got his hospital treatment free.

Yeah, that's true, he was absolutely broke. That's because Alex had skinned him in their divorce. That's not true, actually. I think he'd been declared bankrupt.

I know you'll think this daft - but I sat all night watching Sky Sports on that last night - because all through the night we thought we would hear he'd died. He must've been really popular - you couldn't get moved on the hospital forecourt.

When the family were outside the hospital, I cried with them - because I was a fan of George's. And judging by the state he'd been in, I agreed with Denis Law when he said it was a blessing.

I've completely changed my mind about Alex now - I really like her. We first met her when Scot chatted her up on her flight to Barcelona - and I wasn't that keen on her. However now, I really like her.

Guest David

Yeah, that's true, he was absolutely broke. That's because Alex had skinned him in their divorce. That's not true, actually. I think he'd been declared bankrupt.

I know you'll think this daft - but I sat all night watching Sky Sports on that last night - because all through the night we thought we would hear he'd died. He must've been really popular - you couldn't get moved on the hospital forecourt.

When the family were outside the hospital, I cried with them - because I was a fan of George's. And judging by the state he'd been in, I agreed with Denis Law when he said it was a blessing.

I've completely changed my mind about Alex now - I really like her. We first met her when Scot chatted her up on her flight to Barcelona - and I wasn't that keen on her. However now, I really like her.

By the way, did the ex - Arsenal keeper Bob Wilson die? I haven't seen him on TV since they stopped Grandstand. I always loved that show - as most young boys probably did. Living in a house where my Mum was the only female, I always used to watch Grandstand with my Dad and my brothers. For those who don't know, Scot and I are twins - but my parents had four boys. Stuart and Darren aren't twins though - they're our younger brothers.

Guest David

No, we aren't - but as we share a flat, we use the same computer. We 're best mates as well as brothers, though, and we always have been. He's an hour younger than me - but everybody knows we're the Smart boys. I'll always watch out for my brothers. Have any of you lot got brothers or sisters?

Guest Guest
No, we aren't - but as we share a flat, we use the same computer. We 're best mates as well as brothers, though, and we always have been. And I think the word you're looking for is cojoined.

Do you share a brain cell or do you have one each? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conjoined_twins

Either I've finally lost my marbles completely, or this thread no longer makes any sense. I'm completely lost. Who's Scott? Is he related to George Best? And was George Best a twin? And if so, with whom? And what's Bob Wilson got to do with anything? This is it, my time has finally come - I've moved permanently to reside in Looneyville.

Guest David

Either I've finally lost my marbles completely, or this thread no longer makes any sense. I'm completely lost. Who's Scott? Is he related to George Best? And was George Best a twin? And if so, with whom? And what's Bob Wilson got to do with anything? This is it, my time has finally come - I've moved permanently to reside in Looneyville.

Can't we get some people it's fun to chat to on here? Where are my old friends GrimRita and Oneshot Paddy? Come on, guys! I miss chatting to you both.

LardBazaar, Scot is my brother - we were both great fans of the late George Best. George wasn't a twin - but he did have two sisters who were. Julia and Grace I think they were called. And I just wondered whether Bob Wilson had died - I've not seen him on TV for a long time. I always used to watch Grandstand with my Dad and my three brothers. We all love sport - even my Mum. Being the only female in a house with five sports - mad guys she had to!

Yes, GrimRita and Oneshot Paddy - there are another two brothers - Darren and Stuart.

Hi, BrinsworthHouseBaiter, it's David! I've really missed chatting to you. And I might even introduce you to my two other brothers!