Catherine

George Best

Scientists have finally figured out what went so wrong for Best.

;)

Looks like Lady Die and I have the right idea on alcohol consumption. ;)

Stop it. You're killing me. :blink:

Anyone watch the funeral?

I saw the highlights of it on tv and it was a fitting tribute to such a great football player.

Football pays Best final respects

Anyone watch the funeral?

The speeches were good but the music was crap.

Yes, yes , yes. But he was not that good a player was he. He was only good for 5 or six seasons. He wasn't on a par with Charlton (either sibling in fact) or Law. Definetly wouldn't be in my all-time 11.

Yes, yes , yes. But he was not that good a player was he. He was only good for 5 or six seasons. He wasn't on a par with Charlton (either sibling in fact) or Law.

But he had star quality - I can't see the same reaction if any of them had been sent off at this relatively early stage in life.

Also, he transcended football in a way that few others have done.

Funny how all the people saying he'd be quickly forgotten and deserved to die young are now strangely quiet. Could be the Di syndrome in reverse.

Why did someone vote "yes" just recentely? It was 10-40 last night, now it's 11-40. ;)

Why did someone vote "yes" just recentely? It was 10-40 last night, now it's 11-40.  ;)

;) That person obviously lives in a cave.

Yes, yes , yes. But he was not that good a player was he. He was only good for 5 or six seasons. He wasn't on a par with Charlton (either sibling in fact) or Law.

But he had star quality - I can't see the same reaction if any of them had been sent off at this relatively early stage in life.

Also, he transcended football in a way that few others have done.

Funny how all the people saying he'd be quickly forgotten and deserved to die young are now strangely quiet. Could be the Di syndrome in reverse.

Didn't say that he lacked star-qulity. Merely that he was overrated. Don't think anyone could disagree with that. A few good seasons, a dozen memorable games, and two useful years at Fulham do not put him in the same leaugue as Cruyuff (or however he spells it it), Maradonna, Pele, or even Greaves.

Agree about the star quality though. A good looking guy.

Calum is going to play his dad in a film about his life. Someone's quick off the mark to cash in.

Why did someone vote "yes" just recentely? It was 10-40 last night, now it's 11-40. dry.gif

But did anyone see the body? How do we know he's dead. It could be a conspiracy. I read somewhere that he's immortal. "Georgie lives on" was one headline.

So I voted "yes".

But I don't think he'll make it to 2007.

:sicktherm:

Why did someone vote "yes" just recentely? It was 10-40 last night, now it's 11-40. dry.gif

But did anyone see the body? How do we know he's dead. It could be a conspiracy. I read somewhere that he's immortal. "Georgie lives on" was one headline.

So I voted "yes".

But I don't think he'll make it to 2007.

:referee:

Perhaps George Best was one of our ranting guests and decided to fake his own death to avoid being placed on next year's list?

I take it nobody liked my poem?

:(

I think it would make a fine song if one could find a suitable tune. Could be a hit Spuddy.

I take it nobody liked my poem?

:(

I think it would make a fine song if one could find a suitable tune. Could be a hit Spuddy.

Something by Andrew Lloyd-Webber perhaps? :(

All hail to the late Mr. George Best of Belfast!

One of the finest Association footballers of the recent past.

Often scoring two goals in one game or even three,

Warming the spectators' hearts and filling them with glee.

And when not playing football he was frequently to be seen

engaging in carnal congress with Miss World or some other beauty queen.

And with his money he cannot be said to have been ungenerous

Spending it freely on fornication, strong drink and also on Morris Marinas.

Regrettably his internal organs were unable to endure the abuse

of his inability to consume exclusively orange or any other non-alcoholic juice.

Thus was he condemned to lie unconscious in a hospital bed,

Until one tragic day an eminent physician examined him and pronounced him dead.

Thus ended the life of George Best of Belfast.

Without whom Manchester United would possibly have come last.

One of the greatest association footballers of recent years

and whose passing will among his admirers undoubtedly have provoked many tears.

A most erudite tribute. Thank you for your QUALITY contribution, Mcspud.*

Sadly, many DLers these days spend so much time congratulating each other on prolificity. :(

*Just think what you might have achieved had you been middle-named 'Topaz' :(

That's brilliant .... except for the bit about Morris Marinas. Isn't that just a teensy weensy bit contrived?

That should be prolificacy. I got a touch of that. It was clearing up until I sent this. Damn.

That's brilliant .... except for the bit about Morris Marinas. Isn't that just a teensy weensy bit contrived?

Surely that's where all the fun lies... The site, whether that one of this one, for that matter, would perhaps not have the following if it weren't for the sense of controversy that it brings with it. :(

That should be prolificacy. I got a touch of that. It was clearing up until I sent this. Damn.

No. I mean prolificity. If any of you can't understand the word, try 'prolificness' (and use a decent dictionary instead of relying on the online version).

All these words are correct. Some are used more often to refer to plants! :(

The one to avoid is 'proflicity' :(

('nuff pedantry :D )

That's brilliant .... except for the bit about Morris Marinas.  Isn't that just a teensy weensy bit contrived?

Surely that's where all the fun lies... The site, whether that one of this one, for that matter, would perhaps not have the following if it weren't for the sense of controversy that it brings with it. :(

I was being ironic.... :(

No. I mean prolificity. If any of you can't understand the word, try 'prolificness' (and use a decent dictionary instead of relying on the online version).

All these words are correct. Some are used more often to refer to plants! :(

The one to avoid is 'proflicity' :(

('nuff pedantry :D )

Nah, can't be right. I see it gets 9090 mentions on Google, but it's not in my trusty Concise Oxford. Must be some Americanism.