Catherine

George Best

.....but it's not in my trusty Concise Oxford.

So now you know why Scrabble players and crossworders use The Chambers Dictionary.

The Oxford of course is an English Dictionary not a Scottish one. I don't need to have 89 definitions of a haggis.

The Oxford of course is an English Dictionary not a Scottish one. I don't need to have 89 definitions of a haggis.

This one ought to suffice, then. :(

haggis hag'is, n a Scottish dish made of the heart, lungs and liver of a sheep or calf, etc, chopped up with suet, onions and oatmeal, etc, seasoned and boiled in a sheep's stomach-bag or a substitute. [ME hageys, poss from Anglo-Fr haguer to cut up]

I would be happier if I knew what the 'etc's included! :(

This one ought to suffice, then. :(

haggis hag'is, n a Scottish dish made of the heart, lungs and liver of a sheep or calf, etc, chopped up with suet, onions and oatmeal, etc, seasoned and boiled in a sheep's stomach-bag or a substitute. [ME hageys, poss from Anglo-Fr haguer to cut up]

A bag of Scottish shite (to paraphrase) then, according to the Concise Oxford - the exact same definition it also gives for the Chambers Dictionary

As a Jock myself, I can exclusively reveal........... you really don't want to know

Police have today admitted that George Best was not in fact buried in

Belfast last week and that in retrospect the decision to cremate him in

Hemel Hempstead on Sunday morning might have been a mistake.

:)

That raised a chuckle among the crew this morning, nice one CND.

Excellent. :);)

George Best has had an aircraft named after him

Football legend's image in clouds

I wonder why Duncan Edwards never received a similar tribute from any airlines back in the '50's....

Belfast Airport is going to be renamed George Best Airport. It would've been more appropriate to name a pub after him....

Belfast Airport is going to be renamed George Best Airport. It would've been more appropriate to name a pub after him....

The Battered Liver?

The Squandered Second Chance Inn?

Keep 'em comin'!

The Battered Liver?

Keep 'em comin'!

Perhaps the 'Stand & De-liver'? Ahem. ;) The Courage Best Bitter could be served in gallon glasses as a tribute?

It could also have Dialysis Machine 'hot spots' (like the wi-fi ones in cafes) in the bar for your truly dedicated death-cheating clientele. :D

I hope the least my attempts at humour will do is enrage someone sufficiently to put something better up in response...

Guest Scot

Doesn't take long for the poison spitting brigade to surface does it? If you must spew such unsolicited vitriol about the greatest guy to ever grace English soccer please could you do it in private? I grant you - George did have a weakness - but that didn't mean he was a bad person. I actually met George at Old Trafford when I was there with my brother David and cousin Tommy and found him to be very charming - as indeed is my fellow Scot Denis Law - who I also met that day.

And I don't think your feeble jokes are very appropriate.

Doesn't take long for the poison spitting brigade to surface does it? If you must spew such unsolicited vitriol about the greatest guy to ever grace English soccer please could you do it in private? I grant you - George did have a weakness - but that didn't mean he was a bad person. I actually met George at Old Trafford when I was there with my brother David and cousin Tommy and found him to be very charming - as indeed is my fellow Scot Denis Law - who I also met that day.

And I don't think your feeble jokes are very appropriate.

Thanks for dropping by Scot. :D

Doesn't take long for the poison spitting brigade to surface does it?

Don't include me in this newly surfaced, poison spitting brigade, guest.

I've been happily cracking jokes, feeble or otherwise, about Best for years- as I'm quite sure he would have done, had our roles been reversed and he had been a nobody from the south of England and I the alcoholic footballing wonder from Belfast.

Guest Scot

I've been happily cracking jokes, feeble or otherwise, about Best for years- as I'm quite sure he would have done, had our roles been reversed and he had been a nobody from the south of England and I the alcoholic footballing wonder from Belfast.

The Battered Liver?

Keep 'em comin'!

Brinsworth House Baiter, I do sincerely apologise for my remarks - and yes, George probably would be cracking the same jokes as you if we were sporting legends. But I did think some of the jokes were not very appropriate.

The Battered Liver?

Keep 'em comin'!

Brinsworth House Baiter, I do sincerely apologise for my remarks - and yes, George probably would be cracking the same jokes as you if we were sporting legends. But I did think some of the jokes were not very appropriate.

An apology!

A sincere one!

Oh, I've come over all warm and tingly!

Some of the jokes not appropriate? Yet, you quote Lady Di saying it would be more appropriate to name a pub after him and then me suggesting some joke names. Therefore, I would have thought that my wisecracks were highly topical and appropriate.

Go on, apologise to me again, my bitch.

Guest Scot

Anyone seen the film Best? :D

Yeah, Grim Rita. I've actually just bought the DVD - it's a cracking drama and it shows George as a genuine nice guy - if a bit sappy. I mean, why would he have been so upset at the Matt Busby tribute match if he hadn't been a genuine guy? Actually, that's where I met the real George Best and Denis Law when I took my brother David and cousin Tommy to the match.

And Brinsworth House Baiter, I do sincerely apologise again for my remarks. Actually, some of the jokes were very funny - and I do think they should name a pub in his honour - The Sporting Idol I think would be a fitting tribute - because that's what I believe he once was- although at 24 I'm too young to have seen him play. Let me know if you agree with my idea for a pub naming tribute.

Guest Scot

Yeah, Grim Rita. I've actually just bought the DVD - it's a cracking drama and it shows George as a genuine nice guy - if a bit sappy. I mean, why would he have been so upset at the Matt Busby tribute match if he hadn't been a genuine guy? Actually, that's where I met the real George Best and Denis Law when I took my brother David and cousin Tommy to the match.

And Brinsworth House Baiter, I do sincerely apologise again for my remarks. Actually, some of the jokes were very funny - and I do think they should name a pub in his honour - The Sporting Idol I think would be a fitting tribute - because that's what I believe he once was- although at 24 I'm too young to have seen him play. Let me know if you agree with my idea for a pub naming tribute.

Anyone else getting the feeling of deja vu here? Either that, or my eyesight has gone & I'm seeing things in fours. :D

When/If the mods work is done, this will be another sentence from me that makes no sense to the unsuspecting :D

It's a conspiracy, or summat, there are forces at work desperate to knock Dickie O off his perch as the 'most viewed and most posted upon.'

Guest Scot
George Best is reported to be in intensive care and fighting for his life this afternoon as his new kidney starts to pack in.Looks like he has finally paid the ultimate price for h is sins.I cant say i will shed too many tears if he dies in coming days as n ow seems likely.

[Topics merged -- MH]

I always think that the concept of "fighting" for one's life is a bit strange. How exactly does one fight?

Alcoholism is an illness - NOT a sin. A lot of people tend to forget that George had an illness he couldn't fight.

Guest Scot
Anyone else getting the feeling of deja vu here? Either that, or my eyesight has gone & I'm seeing things in fours. :D

When/If the mods work is done, this will be another sentence from me that makes no sense to the unsuspecting :D

Sorry - trouble with my comp made me put that post up four times to make sure it got submitted.

No, I don't agree with your idea for a pub naming tribute-mine were much better.

Now apologise again.