Catherine

George Best

Experienced many personal difficulties in 2003 after a highly publicised return to the bottle. I think he could be a prime candidate for 2004.

:D George has always had an unnerring ability to pull back from the edge. However, the parlous state of his health these days means he can't afford any over-indulgences, or it might be curtains after just one boozy session. I'd have to agree with Catherine but perhaps this is more of a wild card for next year? B)
  • Like 1

Guest LuLa

Waste of liver.

They should have given that liver to someone who really needed it. I think they should take it out of him now and donate it to someone else before it's too late, hey he's got to be dead soon right?

By the way, hello. I am new and this place is fun.

Indeed. He just lost his driving license for 20 months, and was fined £1,500. He was apparently 2.5 times over the limit and apparently the best bit is that he was driving to a "rehabilitation centre", although you could kill yourself (and others) by driving - we all know that driving is a dangerous field sport - so it might be worth noting this behavioural pattern for future reference.

I wonder what sort of warranty or part-exchange service you might get with a second-hand liver these days? I could imagine a cheery, Linda Barker fronted campaign, designed to charm some hard earned football millions out of wallets for an extended warranty with the International Organ Recovery & Transplantation Service, Thailand. I guess the scissors could be favourably swapped for a scalpel. I don't know what their tag line is; I just hope they aren't a truly heartless organisation.

Welcome LuLa

There was some discussion about Besty for the 2004 list but we thought hed get back on track. Looks like we might have been wrong.

Redonating his liver is a nice thought but Im not sure Id volunteer to take it on after this amount of time.

Guest Son Of Sam

I heard George had given up giving up and is months away from drinking himself to death. Ironic, as I drink about half a bottle of whiskey a day I am probably not far behind him. Once you pass 35 life just seems a slipery slide to a wooden box.

Thought. In a thousand years, does it matter if you lived 40 years or 90 years as long as you had fun doing it?

Sorry if there is a previous thread on Mr Best, I couldn't be arsed checking.

[Here to help - DWB]

An interesting take on things there, Son of Sam.

I probably wouldn't of bothered posting this, but seeing as I've had a few drinks tonight - this seems to fit the tone of this topic quite well - I thought I would post this. I was playing with the mouse wheel, like you do, and for one moment I thought Grim Reaper had written "Redecorating his liver is a nice thought but Im not sure Id volunteer..." Maybe not so funny after all, but for a moment I indulged the concept of helping George redecorate his drinking organ. I would guess that he would probably go for the calm shade of Jaundice Journey 6 or Bile Beacons 2, as taken from the ultimate Deathlist colour scheme, The Best Shades Vol. 1.

shades_of_best.jpg

I was only thinking of the erstwhile nimble-footed bearded one the other day, and the likelihood of his inclusion in next year's top 10. Maybe if we all hold hands (electronically speaking) and concentrate hard on him, he'll suddenly have another lapse and re-appear in the tabloid headlines. Let's hope he can hang on until next year, though!

... that's got me thinking: maybe we could engineer an "accidental" meeting between him and Alex Higgins in the vicinity of lots of drinking joints and get a 2 for the price of 1 deal!!!

They could drown their sorrows talking about being washed-up Northern Irish sporting geniuses. The pair of them could surely drink a small town dry in just a few hours.

O God.

You've mentioned Alex Higgins.

We better batten down the hatches now ...

George was acting as a pundit on Sky earlier today. Looked disgustingly healthy unfortunately.

I don't doubt that he was looking healthy. But he has form, and can go from looking bright as a button to tabloid fodder in a very short space of time!

He's actually one of the most interesting and knowledgeable pundits that Sky have (maybe that's not saying much...). It makes you wonder what drives him to the depths of debauchery. Hopefully he doesn't drive himself, as I do believe he's still banned!

We had a guy round our way when I was a kid who was something of a George lookalike. He even drove an E-type jag. Once, he drove it off the high-level bridge* over the Manchester Ship Canal - and survived!

*M60, formerly known as M63, formerly known as M62...

Guest Maff

Bestie is a former pro sportsman and non-smoker who has never had any long-term problems with his health apart from his liver. He's also never taken drugs and has always kept himself in shape. So seeing as he's got a brand new liver now, I think his inclusion in the deathlist would be a bit premature - regardless of how much he drinks. Of course, there's always the possibility he could kill himself in an accident, but even though the risk of this is probably higher than average in Bestie's case, the odds are still not really very tempting.

His old liver failed when he was 53, after about thirty years of heavy drinking. Assuming his new one can offer the same kind of mileage, he should make it to around 83.

Teaming Bestie up with Higgins isn't really an option either because George doesn't like Alex. In the words of George Best:

'I used to bump into Alex occasionally in Manchester but we were never exactly pals. I've never been enamoured of people who use those immortal words "Do you know who I am?" and I've often heard Alex use them. In my experience he can also be a little aggressive when he's drunk, the complete opposite to me."

Teaming Bestie up with Higgins isn't really an option either because George doesn't like Alex."

All the more reason to team them up, I would've thought!

George, Alex Higgins and the other Oirish Pool player with the absurd glasses. Locked room - 1 gun 2 bullets and a single bottle of Whiskey.

:referee: How is Ken gettin on?

Bad news.

Apparently George has given up drinking again. Reckons he'll live 'til 80 now.

Is there some rule about not nominating people suffering from drug or alcohol addictions?

Is there some rule about not nominating people suffering from drug or alcohol addictions?

Oh, far from it. Those people are always prime candidates....

George Best

Pete Docherty

Courtney Love

I'm sure there are many more - the search facility may come up with your personal favourites.

I'm sure there are many more - the search facility may come up with your personal favourites.

This might be the time to mention that it doesn't seem to be working at the moment.

This might be the time to mention that it doesn't seem to be working at the moment.

Hence the may :rolleyes:

Search should work. Although the All Forum option is not working correctly, you should be able to search the main and 2005 names fora separately.

Nup, you can't ...

Strange - it works for me :rolleyes: