Lady Die

The Death Penalty

Do you agree with the Death Penalty?  

226 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'll try again.

To those that don't support the death penalty...

Give me a good reason why someone like Sidney Cooke shouldn't be executed?

Hello Harv-

I wasn't familiar with Sydney Cooke but after reading the synopsis, I'd gladly pull the trigger on him myself. The problem with the death penalty is that too often poor people who have no money to spend on decent counsel get railroaded by district attorneys who only care about their win-loss record for future political careers. If we could be absolutely sure of the guilt of the murderer, I'd change my vote.

Hello Harv-

I wasn't familiar with Sydney Cooke but after reading the synopsis, I'd gladly pull the trigger on him myself. The problem with the death penalty is that too often poor people who have no money to spend on decent counsel get railroaded by district attorneys who only care about their win-loss record for future political careers. If we could be absolutely sure of the guilt of the murderer, I'd change my vote.

Agreed there Deadsox. Capital punishment should be reserved for those where guilt is definite and rehabilitation isn't going to happen. The Sidney Cookes of this world. Our DL poll shows that there is something to be said for a look at eliminating 'Nonce Culture' and a referendum would show the world that the times they are a changing... :lol:

Join HoS for the War On Nonces. :o

Join HoS for the War On Nonces. <_<

Maybe you should change your user name to" The Paedofinder General".

Join HoS for the War On Nonces. <_<

I don't think he should, because I infact enjoy his user name as well as his avatar.

It's certainly deathlist style.

It's high time we put more value on the freedoms of the majority to live honest lives. Instead, our attention and protections seem increasingly geared to those who step over the line.

I liked the idealism earlier on in the thread in "let's educuate them to do things other people cannot do"...

Maybe we could get a squadron of the meanest out in Iraq? Send some of our "boys" home in the process?

Maybe one of the scumbags will use the prison library service and his ample free time to find something useful for the benefit of mankind?

My point is that these people are not 'valuable resources' they are a drain on our resources.

So a small percentage of miscarriages of justice occur... and the result is death. Statistically less likely to go wrong than a major operation in a UK hospital - more so if you're unfortunate enough to have your operations booked in "death week"!

For me, the anti-death penalty folks really do a disservice to the victims, as the victims are not there to look pathetic and remorseful. The madness over Tookie for instance...it seemed like the news brought up his career as children's author (and, by the way, fat lot of good those books must be doing because I really haven't seen very much of his work in circulation) repeatedly. For me, that weak contrition doesn't cut it. He killed hardworking, innocent people in pure cold blood and they deserve retribution. And, if that argument is to specific, society deserves retribution for the lost contributions that their lives would have brought to their communities. This isn't even considering the fact that he was a founder of a gang that has plunged countless poor communities into bloodshed and dispare while idolizing the live-fast, die-violently ethos that brings no good to all. Some people commit crimes that are to vast to simply punish with confinement, even to the degree of complete isolation. I feel murders, pedofiles and their like fall into that category and should not be tolerated by society because it sends the message that extreme forms of anti-social behavior can be tolerated, which I feel it should not. I honestly believe that a society without a Tookie or a Son of Sam is a better place.

It's high time we put more value on the freedoms of the majority to live honest lives. Instead, our attention and protections seem increasingly geared to those who step over the line.

I liked the idealism earlier on in the thread in "let's educuate them to do things other people cannot do"...

Maybe we could get a squadron of the meanest out in Iraq? Send some of our "boys" home in the process?

Maybe one of the scumbags will use the prison library service and his ample free time to find something useful for the benefit of mankind?

My point is that these people are not 'valuable resources' they are a drain on our resources.

So a small percentage of miscarriages of justice occur... and the result is death. Statistically less likely to go wrong than a major operation in a UK hospital - more so if you're unfortunate enough to have your operations booked in "death week"!

It's true that the number of miscarriages is small, but if it happened to be you going to the gallows as an innocent man, I think you'd reconsider.

No. That would imply some form of dodgy legal process that involves drowning/burning/lynching of suspected paedophiles, whilst I travel the country on horseback whipping up hysteria.

That is not what I'm about.

I support proper justice and decent legal recourse. Fair trials by juries of their peers and a system of checks and balances that ensure the system is as free from flaws as it possibly can be. I support the death of all convicted criminals that are beyond rehabilitation and where guilt is beyond doubt. Repeat sex offenders are just a personal prejudice, but I have no interest in witch hunts (or paedo-hunts in this case.)

If you've committed the crime you should swing from the line. <_<

.... Unless you're joking of course in which Paedo-Finder General it is. :(

Join HoS for the War On Nonces. :rolleyes:

You're talking Nonce Sense

3.jpg

Is this the same Pierced Anubis that posts on newbienudes.com?

I read that story earlier today, and was just waiting for you to post a link HoS.

You didn't disappoint. :(

:lol:

I'm glad my repertoire is become the stuff you can set your watch by. :P

My failing is the lack of sensationalist headlines but I was too busy being outraged by the content of the article to practice my Sun-isms.

I will try harder. :lol:

I have been mulling this article over since I read it yesterday. I don't get why raping someone who is unconscious is worse than raping someone who is conscious. I mean, if the whole point of rape is that it is non-consentual, then surely the two crimes are equitable? In fact, it strikes me that raping someone who is conscious is worse than raping someone who is unconscious, because the victim must forever suffer the memory of the incident, whereas someone who is unconscious has no recollection of it. If we begin with the premise that the crime of rape is in-and-of itself wrong, then surely there should be no stratification of the victims.

It seems to me that the implication of suggesting that raping someone who is unconscious is "worse", is based on the idea that at no point did the victim have the capacity to 'fight back'. To me, that's like saying that people who are raped whilst they are conscious really had the option stopping the rape, because they could have fought back harder.

I have been mulling this article over since I read it yesterday. I don't get why raping someone who is unconscious is worse than raping someone who is conscious.

I think the revulsion was directed at her being raped whilst she was dying due to the injuries she sustained from being paralytic. Instead of phoning for an ambulance he decided to take advantage of her during which she sustained further severe injuries.

Apart from that I tend to agree with the remainder of your post. :P

It seems to me that the implication of suggesting that raping someone who is unconscious is "worse", is based on the idea that at no point did the victim have the capacity to 'fight back'. To me, that's like saying that people who are raped whilst they are conscious really had the option stopping the rape, because they could have fought back harder.

I don't think that's necessairly the implication, I just think it's more along the lines of a psychological thing that's difficult to put into words but sounds really terrible to try. I think in our minds, it's worse if the person had no chance to defend than if they had even a little. Perhaps what little solace people can find in tragedies like this is that in their minds, there's some satisfaction that the victim had the will and ability to fight back.

I think when it comes down to court sentencing though, the punishment should be the same either way.

I dont agree with the death penalty, but if someone offered to put Tony Blair to death I would be ever so happy

Gordon, you should be ashamed !

Guest Guest

[Looks round]

Are you talking to me?

[Looks round again]

You must be talking to me cos im the only one here

Seeing this thread, it occured to me that California Serial Killer Richard Ramirez has been on Death Row for quite some time now. I looked around and I can't seem to find an execution date. Does anyone know more? I'm aware that he may not pass the fame test in the UK, but I thought I'd bring it up since I had heard of it even in Canada.

I'm aware that he may not pass the fame test in the UK, but I thought I'd bring it up since I had heard of it even in Canada.

The Night Stalker is notorious throughout the world. If he doesn't pass the DL famousness requirements then they're seriously flawed.

Whatever your opinion this guy makes you think again.

Dad rapes daughter,3.

Dont waste taxpayers money keeping him alive.

Whatever your opinion this guy makes you think again.

Dad rapes daughter,3.

Dont waste taxpayers money keeping him alive.

At least he's now behind bars. let's hope they catch this sick bastard