Sign in to follow this  
maryportfuncity

Man Utd 68 Vs England 66

Have I got this right? If we lined these great teams up in a past masters fantasy football stylee we'd now be down to 20 on the pitch, England World Cup Winners all present bar the captain and Man Utd European Cup winners all there bar George Best?

Oh yeah, and Gordon Banks is also minus an eye.

Or did I miss a death somewhere?

• Like 1

Have I got this right? If we lined these great teams up in a past masters fantasy football stylee we'd now be down to 20 on the pitch, England World Cup Winners all present bar the captain and Man Utd European Cup winners all there bar George Best?

Oh yeah, and Gordon Banks is also minus an eye.

Or did I miss a death somewhere?

Greavsie is warming up on the touchline.

Sir Alf won't stop him this time.

Jimmy Greaves in doing a nationwide tour next year entitled "Greavsie and Friends" I believe, taking in such historic and venerated theatres as Stevenage Leisure Centre.....apparently it's an evening of reminiscences - probably won't be a long evening where Greavsie's concerned.

"Got up, opened bottle of whisky, started drinking, can't remember anything else"

Jimmy Greaves in doing a nationwide tour next year entitled "Greavsie and Friends" I believe, taking in such historic and venerated theatres as Stevenage Leisure Centre.....apparently it's an evening of reminiscences - probably won't be a long evening where Greavsie's concerned.

"Got up, opened bottle of whisky, started drinking, can't remember anything else"

At least Greavsie had the willpower to stop drinking.

Bestie on the other hand let his demons conquer him.

Mind you, if anything was going to drive you back to the bottle you'd think it'd be sitting next to Iain St John for 10 years!

Mind you, if anything was going to drive you back to the bottle you'd think it'd be sitting next to Iain St John for 10 years!

Too true, there's few things worse than a sanctimonious Scotsman. :lol:

Greavsie should have chinned him, on more than one occasion.

Guest misswhisp
:lol: before anyone condemns George Best for drinking..first consider he was an addict, alcholic i also beleive he was a member of AA its such a shame that such a genius should be taken by the demon drink so young.Rest in peace George and may people learn a lesson from his passing...that once an addict always and addict...steer clear of substances or things like gambling for instance that can bring about ur early demise..because beleive it ..it can and it will.I do not drink... not that it ever interested me...but i have had friends that did..and like George died..of liver problems brought on by alchol.i'm just so sorry this happened to such a great person and legend

Guest Guest

Either way, on the current evidence my fantasy football game is still 10 against 10, if we count those still breating.

I read an interview with Greavsie a couple of months ago, he seems to be doing alright at the moment. I'm not really into football but if we want a footie representative on the '06 List can I offer:

Tom Finney b 1922 legendary old-time player, played for Blackburn or Burnley I think, some northern team anyway

Ron Greenwood b 1921 England manager 1977-82. His career somehow survived failing to make the finals of the '78 World Cup, it wouldn't happen today!

Tommy Docherty b 1928 "The Doc" - Former Manchester Utd manager

All better bets than Maradona I'd say.

Tom Finney b 1922 legendary old-time player, played for Blackburn or Burnley I think, some northern team anyway

It was actually a team of even less consequence, Preston North End.

Ron Greenwood b 1921 England manager 1977-82. His career somehow survived failing to make the finals of the '78 World Cup, it wouldn't happen today!

To be fair, it was Don Revie that led England to disasterous non-qualification before he hopped off to the United Arab Emirates, Big Ron merely cleared up the mess...

Bestie was celebrated with an honour guard of former team-mates from the 68 Eurpean cup winning side last night. Most of them in fair shape for sixty and seventy somethings. Skipper, Bill Foulkes - 73 - and agile goalie Alex Stepney - 63 - both looking younger than their years.

Tony Dunne's recent death leads me here.

Manchester United '68

Alex Stepney (b. 1942)

Shay Brennan (b. 1937; d. 2000)

Tony Dunne (b. 1941; d. 2020)

Pat Crerand (b. 1939)

Bill Foulkes (b. 1932; d. 2013)

Nobby Stiles (b. 1942; d. 2020)

George Best (b. 1946; d. 2005)

Brian Kidd (b. 1949)

Bobby Charlton (b. 1937; d. 2023)

David Sadler (b. 1946)

John Aston Jr (b. 1947)

Jimmy Rimmer (b. 1948)

Boys of '66

Gordon Banks (b. 1937; d. 2019)

George Cohen (b. 1939; d. 2022)

Jack Charlton (b. 1935; d. 2020)

Bobby Moore (b. 1941; d. 1993)

Ray Wilson (b. 1934; d. 2018)

Nobby Stiles (b. 1942; d. 2020)

Alan Ball Jr (b. 1945; d. 2007)

Bobby Charlton (b. 1937; d. 2023)

Martin Peters (b. 1943; d. 2019)

Geoff Hurst (b. 1941)

Roger Hunt (b. 1938; d. 2021)

Lists above updated for Bobby Charlton's death.

• Like 1