themaninblack

Jeffrey Archer

Lord Archer has applied to re-join the Conservative Party. I just get this feeling that this man is so crooked he'll up dead in 'mysterious' circumstances. What do you, the DLr's think?

Lord Archer has applied to re-join the Conservative Party. I just get this feeling that this man is so crooked he'll up dead in 'mysterious' circumstances. What do you, the DLr's think?

I think he'll probably live to a very old age.

Compared to Tony Blair he's as straight as an arrow.

I disagree (in that he'll end up dead mysteriously), but would be keen to know what others think

'Mysterious circumstances?' Only if there's a God.

David Cameron (who is most likely going to be the next Tory leader) has said he will block Archers membership should he become leader.

Could this drive Archer to his grave?

No. Didn't think so.

Strictly speaking, he'll be banned from sitting as a Tory in the House of Lords.

But, as he's still a Lord, they can't stop him from sitting in the Lords as a non-Tory.

Whether he becomes just a plain Tory member I believe is up to his local party office, not HQ. And as a plain Tory, he'll probably be let back in.

There are idiots in the Tory party who think he should get a second chance.

Do they not read the papers ? ... it'd be more like his fifth chance, not second.

The guy's a walking disaster area. Any Tory leader would be well advised to bury him.

Do they not read the papers ? ... it'd be more like his fifth chance, not second.

The guy's a walking disaster area. Any Tory leader would be well advised to bury him.

A mate of mine in the media industry rates Archer as the single most objectionable individual - as in arrogant, insensitive, massive ego/little talent - he's ever met. Since he's met many others you'd stick in that category this is worth taking on board. However, Archer's a former athlete who's kept himself in shape so his health seems assured for years to come.

Guest Guest_Charley Farley

Ditto

but I like him, he thinks he can get away with his lies and that were all thick, he is the biggest weight that is holding back the tory party, keep up the good work Jeffrey!

I think he'll live to a good old age, like John Profumo has since the Christine Keeler scandal in the 1960s.

And Jeremy Thorpe, come to think of it.

Archer'll still be shooting his arrows in 20 years or so.

Guest Himler

A mate of mine in the media industry rates Archer as the single most objectionable individual - as in arrogant, insensitive, massive ego/little talent - he's ever met. Since he's met many others you'd stick in that category this is worth taking on board. However, Archer's a former athlete who's kept himself in shape so his health seems assured for years to come.

I saw a program on Sky that suggested he may have tweaked his athletic record.

Heard him on Radio 5 live today talking about the murder of Amess. Sounded

like he was reading cue cards. Very bad shape indeed. Put him on a list somewhere

On 27/11/2005 at 13:34, maryportfuncity said:

A mate of mine in the media industry rates Archer as the single most objectionable individual - as in arrogant, insensitive, massive ego/little talent - he's ever met.

He'd fit in really well in the current Government.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bentrovato said:

Heard him on Radio 5 live today talking about the murder of Amess. Sounded

like he was reading cue cards. Very bad shape indeed. Put him on a list somewhere

Really? He was being interviewed by Dan Wootton a few months ago. Looked completely fine.

18 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Really? He was being interviewed by Dan Wootton a few months ago. Looked completely fine.

Really,. Not taking the piss. He sounded awful. It was like

someone was feeding him the lines.

37 minutes ago, Toast said:

He'd fit in really well in the current Government.

You seem a connoisseur  of literature though so do you like his novels and rate them highly? Quite a few of my elderly relatives including my mother who normally only reads female authors , Danielle Steel,  Barbara Taylor Bradford, Paula Daly,  Nancy Revell,  Lynn Andrews etc , absolutely  devour his books and rave about how good they are!

1 hour ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

You seem a connoisseur  of literature though so do you like his novels and rate them highly? Quite a few of my elderly relatives including my mother who normally only reads female authors , Danielle Steel,  Barbara Taylor Bradford, Paula Daly,  Nancy Revell,  Lynn Andrews etc , absolutely  devour his books and rave about how good they are!

From memory, mediocre. 

Although I liked the old joke about Archer producing classic treachery filled cases of blackmail, death and deceit... and when he got home from work, wrote some books too.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

They are trashy page-turners.  I read some of them back in the 80s along with the sex-and-shopping bonkbusters eg Judith Krantz, Jackie Collins etc. 

But back then I used to be a fast reader so reading those didn't take up much time. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Toast said:

They are trashy page-turners.  I read some of them back in the 80s along with the sex-and-shopping bonkbusters eg Judith Krantz, Jackie Collins etc. 

But back then I used to be a fast reader so reading those didn't take up much time. 

Thanks. I think he must be one of my mums  rare indulgences in low brow trashy novels  because  she's normally very different in her choice of books. Catherine  Cookson, Anne Tyler and Anita Shreve  being more of her standard favourites.  Her only deviation as far as I can recall is a couple of raunchy Jilly Cooper novels!

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

@Bentrovato Just reviewed that comment and have no idea why it said one night stand!!:lol::o:ph34r:

The original is always the best. As long as your Mum is happy. 

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Bentrovato said:

The original is always the best. As long as your Mum is happy. 

She'd be horrified if she knew I'd typed that!!:o:lol:

My mum and dad have been  married over 50 years!! And Jeffrey Archer is certainly not her type that way!

11 minutes ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

She'd be horrified if she knew I'd typed that!!:o:lol:

My mum and dad have been  married over 50 years!! And Jeffrey Archer is certainly not her type that way!

Met Jilly  Cooper on the District Line from Earls Court back in the 90s. Her characters in her novels are a lot sexier is all I can say. 50 years. You get less for etc etc 

• Haha 1

Hosting his last Christmas party: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-12844055/Jeffrey-Archer-Christmas-parties-Margaret-Thatcher-Donald-Sinden-Cilla-Black-Betty-Boothroyd.html

No, he's not dying, he's finding it hard to stand up for extended periods at 83.

That's all you need to know. The rest of the article is self-indulgent bullshit.

Ah well, you never know, there's always a bus round the corner, just waiting....

50 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Hosting his last Christmas party: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-12844055/Jeffrey-Archer-Christmas-parties-Margaret-Thatcher-Donald-Sinden-Cilla-Black-Betty-Boothroyd.html

No, he's not dying, he's finding it hard to stand up for extended periods at 83.

That's all you need to know. The rest of the article is self-indulgent bullshit.

Ah well, you never know, there's always a bus round the corner, just waiting....

Caught up with him bout 18 months ago. He seemed fine. His hearing isn’t great, that’s bout it. 

• Like 1