tonewheel

Dennis Waterman

I caught sight of Dennis Waterman talking about the Sweaney the other night, he could well be reunited with the guvner Jack Reagan in 2006. He was gulping in large amounts of breath between sentences. and his top lip was stretched tight over some extremely large teeth. He could quite well shake a six in the new year

A bit young for our tastes is he not? <_<

He's about the same age as George Best,& possibly drunk about the same amount

Not sure he's in such bad shape. He's also pretty busy working, including an appearance in the latest series of Little Britain.

I must admit I agree with tonewheel, especially about the big teeth. It almost did not look like Dennis Waterman and his voice sounded quite weak.

Could the big teeth be caused by head shrinkage like in Beetlejuice?

Mr G Grin

I really can't see DW going next year no matter how bad his teeth are (by the by in waht way are his gnashers relevant?) George Cole on the other hand....

You'd get longish odds on George Cole at the moment so if you put in a good bet it'd be a 'nice little earner.'

I really can't see DW going next year no matter how bad his teeth are (by the by in waht way are his gnashers relevant?) George Cole on the other hand....

It's not the condition of his teeth, but the fact that they are looking so uncommonly large,He would not have dentures looking like that.So they must be is own teeth, which in his younger days looked o.k. so one can assume something has happened, possible a botched facial. but that would not explain the large intake of air after just a few words and a total fealing of unease you get whlist looking at him.it just seams to me that jack the Lad could soon be jack in the box . .

I think it highly unlikely Dennis Waterman is about to meet his maker.

What the hell have large teeth got to do with imminent demise?

What is really annoying me though, is that Sweeney is spelt Sweaney(sic) :banghead:

Spelling now corrected.

Edited by Tempus Fugit

He'll be around for a while yet.

That's assuming he does not sing anymore.

A return to singing could be his demise, especially if I see him :banghead:

It's not the condition of his teeth, but the fact that they are looking so uncommonly large,He would not have dentures looking like that.So they must be is own teeth, which in his younger days looked o.k. so one can assume something has happened, possible a botched facial. but that would not explain the large intake of air after just a few words and a total fealing of unease you get whlist looking at him.it just seams to me that jack the Lad could soon be jack in the box . .

I think it is probably your busines if you get a total feeling of unease while looking at him. Still say that breathing coupled with having teeth are harbingers of good health.

Sheesh I never knew DW sang but there ya go...for me I liked him the most in the Sweeney, and for me it's still the best cop series ever as the man said..."we're the Sweeney son and we haven't had any lunch" !!!

My old man was in the job at the time the Sweeney was made - not Squad but West End Clubs Squad out of West End Central from '69 to '73 - job consisted of turning up at 6pm, writing up the night before then sitting in dodgy venues talking to "faces" til 6am.

Tough hours, tough days, tough men...

However, my point was that the guvnor's driver once took the late great J. Thaw home from a police dinner [piss-up] and Thaw was deeply in character telling the guy that he was a S**t driver, disgrace to the job etc, so the bloke pulled him out of the back, told him he was Manc pouf actor, smacked him and left him to get the bus.

Great hours, great days, great guys....

Begging the question how could your old man tell himself apart from criminals? They spent all night drinking and talking to 'faces' as well.

My old man was in the job at the time the Sweeney was made - not Squad but West End Clubs Squad out of West End Central from '69 to '73 - job consisted of turning up at 6pm, writing up the night before then sitting in dodgy venues talking to "faces" til 6am.

Tough hours, tough days, tough men...

However, my point was that the guvnor's driver once took the late great J. Thaw home from a police dinner [piss-up] and Thaw was deeply in character telling the guy that he was a S**t driver, disgrace to the job etc, so the bloke pulled him out of the back, told him he was Manc pouf actor, smacked him and left him to get the bus.

Great hours, great days, great guys....

Nice one Vilebody....but did you know as a matter of sheer interest that the old Ford Consul used in the opening video was last seen in a garden in London with bushes & trees growing out of it just a few years ago :ph34r:

Begging the question how could your old man tell himself apart from criminals? They spent all night drinking and talking to 'faces' as well.

I think you have the essence of it - there was a lot of overlap, but the old man didn't stuff security van drivers with a crowbar or threaten 18year old cashiers with a shooter - armed robbery is such a job for "brave men", of course ...might have shagged the boyos' girlfriends tho...

Can't work any more now everyone's accountable...

Nice one Vilebody....but did you know as a matter of sheer interest that the old Ford Consul used in the opening video was last seen in a garden in London with bushes & trees growing out of it just a few years ago ;)

Is that right - can I buy it????

BTW you remember the shoe smashing down the pedal in blue and white in the opening credits of the later series? - the guvnor had a pair of them and they were knocked out by a geezer in Hammersmith to all the CID.

I know, cos i was polishing them...

Guest Guest

I seen some nostalgia program about Minder and Waterman actully looked older than George Cole so it's not too unlikley.

There was a programme last Thursday night about Minder, presented by Shane Richie and Dennis wasn't looking so good. It wasn't his teeth that bothered me, but the size of his eyes.

Like saucers they were, as if he was turning into some humanoid mutant Felix the cat. And his face... melting, I tell ye...

Didn't look well at all- a long way away from the cheeky, Jack the Lad, pull anything in a skirt persona from his heyday.

And you should have seen the state of George Cole sitting alongside him- sagged face, bloodshot eyes- he looked as though he's already gone to the grave & returned from it.

Guest Waterman Teeth Guest

Waterman is on Friday Night with Jonathan Ross right now on BBC 1.

When I first saw his teeth I thought he was playing a prank.

Guest A Woodbine

I have just witenessed DW on Jonathan Ross tonight..

Boy thos gnashers look enormous but I reckon they are just extremely bad false ones. Hi breathing seemed OK but he looked a trifle cardio vasular!

He really got a bit spikey when they showed a clip from Little Britian and grunted something like "So that is supposed to be funny?"

Hmmmm....

Boy thos gnashers look enormous but I reckon they are just extremely bad false ones. Hi breathing seemed OK but he looked a trifle cardio vasular!

He really got a bit spikey when they showed a clip from Little Britian and grunted something like "So that is supposed to be funny?"

Hmmmm....

I thought he had a valid point. Was the clip supposed to be funny? I didn't find anything remotely funny about it.

Like Amanda Redman said, sitting beside him, Waterman isn't small and doesn't speak in a high voice. In his whole career he only actually sang 2 theme songs (I think!) so the gag is a lame one to start off with anyway.

Then again, I might be the only person in the whole country (apart from the fellow DLister in another thread) that doesn't find Little Britain funny.

And how the F**k does someone look cardiovascular?

Guest Anon

Hmmmm....

He looks like he's eaten Hilary Duff. :banghead: