tonewheel

Dennis Waterman

Very sad news.

I didn’t know he lived in Spain. 

I have his New Tricks co-star James Bolam on my list like a few others, but didn't see this coming at all. Sad news, loved him. 

• Like 2

Do we think Dennis might've shaved a few years off his age, like many actors used to? 

I guess it's unlikely but he always looked about 5 years older than his official age. 

What else are you going to do on a Sunday?

Spend a delightful afternoon watching Man About The House with Waterman, where they definitely do mention the War: 

Or just check out Sally Thomsett's arse in the opening credits. It was the 1970s.....

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TheKeysOfMarinus said:

Do we think Dennis might've shaved a few years off his age, like many actors used to? 

I guess it's unlikely but he always looked about 5 years older than his official age. 

Nah he was a child actor so impossible to hide your age.He was a heavy smoker I believe which adds a few years on.

• Thanks 1

"Night Train for Inverness" (1960).jpg

This was him in Night Train To Inverness his first credit released in January 1960 shortly before he turned 12 and he certainly doesn`t look any older here.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Old Crem said:

I didn’t know he lived in Spain. 

Just like a real dodgy geezer then. 

Had him in my shadow list for last 4 years drop him. You know the rest.R.I.P.

• Like 3

The only thing I watched him in was Life and Loves of a She-Devil. I saw some bits of that horrendous sit-com where Joan Sims and Sam Kelly desperately tried to breathe some life into proceedings which had been completely flattened by Dennis Waterman's completely lack of comic timing 

• Like 1

Lovely share by Teri Scoble, one of the acting Scoble twins, from their time at school together (Scoble twins born January 1949): 

• Like 1

He was in a Journey into the Unknown episode which inspired a Carpenters song. I think he may have been the last survivor.

Strangely I was only thinking about him last night as I trying to work out who is still alive from Morecambe and Wise sketches.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

The only thing I watched him in was Life and Loves of a She-Devil.

For me it's Minder, and to a lesser extent The Sweeney.  I'm amazed nobody's mentioned Minder yet.

1 hour ago, Handrejka said:

He was in a Journey into the Unknown episode which inspired a Carpenters song. I think he may have been the last survivor.

Strangely I was only thinking about him last night as I trying to work out who is still alive from Morecambe and Wise sketches.

Off topic for the thread, but there must be a good few yet? I'm not going to pretend to be an encyclopedia but I've seen a decent amount and Angela Rippon, Glenda Jackson and Michael Aspel immediately spring to mind. Penelope Keith too perhaps? (I don't remember her sketch but she seems the type/era).

2 hours ago, Handrejka said:

Here it is, "Eve" from 1968. I remember watching it on Granada, late on a Monday night...

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Toast said:

For me it's Minder, and to a lesser extent The Sweeney.  I'm amazed nobody's mentioned Minder yet.

Too young for The Sweeney,  too much discretion for Minder.

Was surprised to see him in Man About the House a few years ago. Whilst he was clearly a good actor - like a lot of people he had his demons and issues with alcohol. But he came through that and his co actors have been kind on SM. 74 is by modern standards pretty early but smoker and drinker will take years. 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Philheybrookbay1 said:

Was surprised to see him in Man About the House a few years ago. Whilst he was clearly a good actor - like a lot of people he had his demons and issues with alcohol. But he came through that and his co actors have been kind on SM. 74 is by modern standards pretty early but smoker and drinker will take years. 

I think we are very much in the mortuis nihil nisi bonum phase but I will just include this quote from his interview with Piers Morgan relating to his marriage to Rula Lenska

"It's not difficult for a woman to make a man hit her. She certainly wasn't a beaten wife, she was hit and that’s different."

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bibliogryphon said:

Too young for The Sweeney,  too much discretion for Minder.

Ooooh!  I loved Minder, it was the perfect comedy drama with great characters, good stories and witty script.  It had some top guest stars too.

That said, I didn't watch it after DW left.  It just wasn't as good, as the heart of the show was the Arthur/Terry relationship and it ran out of ideas.

2 hours ago, Bibliogryphon said:

"It's not difficult for a woman to make a man hit her. She certainly wasn't a beaten wife, she was hit and that’s different."

There's a difference between losing control and lashing out when someone really provokes you, and systematic violence, prolonged or repeated.  If that's what he meant, I agree. 

(In the same way it's not difficult for a man to make a woman hit him, but he was talking about his own situation.)

• Sad 1