maryportfuncity

Peace Activists In Iraq - Brave Or Barmy?

Has anybody heard anything? It has all gone very quiet.

What is Graham Crowden doing in Iraq anyway!

Strange that it sort of just dropped right off the news radar... I admit I'd almost completely forgotten about it.

Has anybody heard anything?  It has all gone very quiet.

What is Graham Crowden doing in Iraq anyway!

Strange that it sort of just dropped right off the news radar... I admit I'd almost completely forgotten about it.

They're saving him till Xmas.

Obviously not saving him till Chrimbo. Given the amount of time they've had with Norman Kember I reckon some of his captors will be ready to graduate with honours in Physics or whatever it was he taught at university.

Tom Fox was one of the three other peace activists kidnapped with Norman Kember.

He was absent from the recent video released by their captors, now we know why,

the US state department has said his body has been recovered.

link here.

No news on Kember and the other two,

Tom Fox was a unique pick for one DDP player. :crossbone:

Guest iain

yes im sad to have to report that Tom Fox is confirmed as having been killed...the prospects for the 3 remaining hostages h as to be considered pretty bleak im afraid :crossbone:

Guest iain

sad one here Im afraid..just been announced that US hostage in Iraq ,the peace activist Tom Fox has been found dead.He was 54.This makes brit Norman kember and the other 2 hostages prospects very bleak :crossbone:

yes im sad to have to report that Tom Fox is confirmed as having been killed...the prospects for the 3 remaining hostages h as to be considered pretty bleak im afraid :o

If anything this could help free the remaining hostages. They have his body, somebody must have seen something. The body could give them clues as to the whereabouts of Kember and co so there may still be some hope. Even though it's unlikely.

[rant]

Is it me? These people go into a war zone, preaching peace to people who have no intentions of seeking peace, and expect sympathy? Sorry, but, if you are daft (or brave) enough to into a place like that, then you should be prepared to suffer any consequences.[/rant]

[rant]

Is it me? These people go into a war zone, preaching peace to people who have no intentions of seeking peace, and expect sympathy? Sorry, but, if you are daft (or brave) enough to into a place like that, then you should be prepared to suffer any consequences.[/rant]

Sadly I would have to agree with you.

Cant Ken Livingstone go instead?

[rant]

Sadly I would have to agree with you.

Cant Ken Livingstone go instead?

If only. How about being joined by George Galloway?

Looking back over this thread we've got it wrong big style, there wasn't much hope for Kember to see Christmas and it's March now. I'm struggling to get a handle on what's happening now in terms of covert negotiations etc. Anyone else out there count themselves expert enough to make a suggestion?

Looking back over this thread we've got it wrong big style, there wasn't much hope for Kember to see Christmas and it's March now. I'm struggling to get a handle on what's happening now in terms of covert negotiations etc. Anyone else out there count themselves expert enough to make a suggestion?

I would guess that they've stalled, but they've stalled at a point where Kember and the others might have somewhat of a chance to survive while the negotiators try and think of something new. I don't think it's a coincidence that the one American in the group is the one who got offed, nor am I surprised that they found the body (ostensibly) so quickly and intact. I think the group will keep the hostages alive for a while yet perhaps, but they needed to make an example, and it was easiest to justify killing the American.

That is, assuming, that they know where each is from, but I'm guessing they'd have their documents.

yes im sad to have to report that Tom Fox is confirmed as having been killed...the prospects for the 3 remaining hostages h as to be considered pretty bleak im afraid :)

If anything this could help free the remaining hostages. They have his body, somebody must have seen something. The body could give them clues as to the whereabouts of Kember and co so there may still be some hope. Even though it's unlikely.

Very astute Windsor.Now they can make door to door enquiries & search for the A-Z of hostage locations secreted on his cadaver.

Well you never know.

You get caught by forensics with as little as a fart these days...

Well you never know.

You get caught by forensics with as little as a fart these days...

What,you mean sniffer dogs?.

Anyone else out there count themselves expert enough to make a suggestion?

Well... I'm not an expert but in an earlier post Windsor wrote...

The body could give them clues as to the whereabouts of Kember and co

While he is entirely correct, I feel that this is only possible if the body contained a secret map to the terrorists hideout.

It's possible that Fox was killed deliberately, after Kember and Co tattooed a map on his upper torso (The plot of Prison Break would be easy to decipher, even in Arabic)... The rescue forces would find the body and by reading the torso they would discover the location of the secret terrorist headquarters.

The only problem I can see with this theory is that bullet holes might appear as mosques on the map. :o

Norman Kember has been freed.

Bad news for anyone who had him in their DDP team.

Guest iain
Norman Kember has been freed.

Bad news for anyone who had him in their DDP team.

well I for one am very happy to hear that news and pleased he can be taken off the death list!

actually it was a UK-Canadian military o peration that got himout so lets give a big cheer for our brave armed forces!

Don't get too excited, Kember is in his 70s and all this stress may have caused him no end of coronary problems. If I had him on my DDP I wouldn't abandon hope just yet.

One has to say that when Fox's body was found, I thought Kember would be freed shortly, one way or another.

Partly as I felt, well if they've killed Fox, they would've killed all three of them, but also, wherever they left Fox's body would eventually lead to the special forces finding their lair.

I, for one, am pleased with this. I always felt very uncomfortable with those hostages being selected on the DDP, a la Kirsty Howard. Bit of a blow for Dave's Dead, Aye Dead Drunk though.....

On the question posed by the thread, however, my vote is definitely for "barmy" or maybe both. People like Kember are well meaning but do nothing to stop the Iraqis killing each other. They just endanger the lives of others trying to pull them out when they get in to bother.

Mind, I suppose there were people that said that about Jesus; well they did. But Jesus knew exactly what he was doing, he wanted to go like that. That cross was essential in his master plan for global domination.

If he had been stoned to death would the symbol of Christianity today be a rock rather than a cross? How the hell do you get brand consistency in a rock? I suppose they would have stuck with the fish and we would have fish-shaped churches and cathedrals. So the Queen would have been crowned in Westminster Kipper and Lady Di might have been married in St Paul's Haddock.

Godot CFY

...I suppose they would have stuck with the fish and we would have fish-shaped churches and cathedrals. So the Queen would have been crowned in Westminster Kipper and Lady Di might have been married in St Paul's Haddock.

Godot CFY

Doesn't the Queen already live in the Plaice... oh, sorry.. that's palace. :rolleyes:

He went to try to convert the natives

A crusade to remember,

And many felt him a good bet for

Their death lists in late December,

You lucky lucky boy, pro-

-selitysing Norman Kember.

He went to try to convert the natives

A crusade to remember,

And many felt him a good bet for

Their death lists in late December,

You lucky lucky boy, pro-

-selitysing Norman Kember.