Cerberus

Mary Wilson

It's proving difficult to find out anything about Mary (Lady) Wilson, who was married to Prime Minister Harold Wilson until his death in 1995. Searches throw up lots of references to the one-time Supremes singer of the same name, but nothing about this one. I assume she's still alive, because she was apparently interviewed in the Cherie Blair/Booth progtramme that was on Channel 4 recently. But Harold's Wiki entry doesn't even mention her. My guess is that she lives in the Scilly Islands, where he was buried. Anyone know?

That's an interesting one. How old must she be?

Well he was born in 1915, so late 80s I would imagine. Perhaps not quite famous enough for the List though; unlike Betty Ford she didn't do much on her own except write a few poems.

From Trash Fiction

A poem by Mary Wilson

After the Bomb

After the Bomb had fallen,

After the last sad cry

When the Earth was a burnt-out cinder

Drifting across the sky,

Came Lucifer, Son of the Morning,

With his fallen-angel band,

Silent and swift as a vulture

On a mountain-top to stand.

And he looked, as he stood on the mountain

With his scarlet wings unfurled,

At the charnel-house of London

And the cities of the world.

And he laughed..........

And as that mocking laughter

Across the heavens ran,

He cried 'Look!' to the fallen angels -

'This is the work of Man

Who was made in the image of God!'

On the TV programme with Cherie Blair last night I think they said she was approaching 90. I don't think she's a DL candidate for 2006 though as she looked very fit & well.

According to this she was born in 1918.

Guest Lee Harriman

Mary Wilson is now one of only three former Prime Ministerial spouses still alive. She is 87. The others are The Countess of Avon (aka Clarissa Eden, widow of Anthony Eden PM 1955-7) who is 90, and Norma Major (wife of John Major PM 1990-7) who is 58. Hopefully soon there will be another ex-PM's wife on the scene, and heres a clue - ugly, grasping and freeloading...who can it be? I honestly think she would get away with far more if she was good looking.

Saw Mary Wilson on BBC local news last month - she was very sprightly and alert, I don't think she's going to die any time soon.

Hopefully soon there will be another ex-PM's wife on the scene, and heres a clue - ugly, grasping and freeloading...who can it be? I honestly think she would get away with far more if she was good looking.

Is it ....um..er....

No wait hang on it's........ Oh come on, it's on the tip of my..........

ah, now I've got it, you know, thingy... what's her face............?.....looks like a witch...

Damn, it's gone.

Guest Merkin

What about Blair's father-in-law, Tony Booth? He must be getting on.

What about Blair's father-in-law, Tony Booth? He must be getting on.

Is he a Salvationist? Many of them live a bit longer on account of the abstinence.

Mary Wilson is now one of only three former Prime Ministerial spouses still alive. She is 87. The others are The Countess of Avon (aka Clarissa Eden, widow of Anthony Eden PM 1955-7) who is 90.

Clarissa Eden (or Churchill), was on TV on Monday night in the first of three-parter drama doc, "Suez". She looks extremely healthy & robust, and like Mary Wilson, I don't think she's going to die anytime soon.

For some reason, my brain refuses to read "Octopus of Odstock" and translates it as "Oedipus of Odstock". :D

Mary Wilson is now one of only three former Prime Ministerial spouses still alive. She is 87. The others are The Countess of Avon (aka Clarissa Eden, widow of Anthony Eden PM 1955-7) who is 90.

Clarissa Eden (or Churchill), was on TV on Monday night in the first of three-parter drama doc, "Suez". She looks extremely healthy & robust, and like Mary Wilson, I don't think she's going to die anytime soon.

Agreed, she did not look 90. Britain's 'first ladys' are in better nick than across the pond methinks... :D

Mary's apparently still going strong at 94, attended Foot's funeral. May yet outlive the heart-diseased Supremes one.

Guest The Watcher

Surely Mary (Baroness)Wilson should be considered? She is 99 & has been a widow for 20 years since Harold Wilson died. A real link with the past & occasional references to her by Mike Yarwood in his impressionist Saturday night BBC show.

Edited by DevonDeathTrip
Post moved from ideas and possibilities thread

I agree.She should be seriously considered for next year.Any Prime Ministerial spouse will get obits from all major news sources in the UK and anyone who is 100 and it fits that criteria should be on the list.They will make as much of her death as they did for Pincher.

I agree.She should be seriously considered for next year.Any Prime Ministerial spouse will get obits from all major news sources in the UK and anyone who is 100 and it fits that criteria should be on the list.They will make as much of her death as they did for Pincher.

Totally agree, I've been sneaking her onto the odd team over the years, but she's so old now that she's in the orbit of everyone.

Totally agree, I've been sneaking her onto the odd team over the years, but she's so old now that she's in the orbit of everyone.

Speaking of Wilson, someone who might appear in the orbit of others before time is Lady Falkender, aka Marcia Williams, who is still with us. 83 this year and will be, in time, highly obitable.

• Like 1

Definitely does anyone have any info on her(Falkender) ?. I think Clarissa Eden (b 1920) might also be worth considering as well as Baroness Trumpington (b1922) Geoffrey Howe(b1926) for next year.Christine Keeler (b1942) also might be worth considering not on age grounds but the fact she looks like a Jeremy Kyle granny. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2401524/Former-model-Christine-Keeler-71-unrecognisable-50-years-Profumo-affair.html

Definitely does anyone have any info on her(Falkender) ?. I think Clarissa Eden (b 1920) might also be worth considering as well as Baroness Trumpington (b1922) Geoffrey Howe(b1926) for next year.Christine Keeler (b1942) also might be worth considering not on age grounds but the fact she looks like a Jeremy Kyle granny. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2401524/Former-model-Christine-Keeler-71-unrecognisable-50-years-Profumo-affair.htmlB

But Baroness Williams still seems robust and I think will last a few years yet as will Betty Boothroyd. Jim Prior (b.1927) and Patrick Jenkin (b.1926) might be worth a punt though.

Guest The Watcher

The widow of Harold Wilson (in her day a renowned poet!) & also an unseen character in the Mike Yarwood Show is 100 in January 2016.

The widow of Harold Wilson (in her day a renowned poet!) & also an unseen character in the Mike Yarwood Show is 100 in January 2016.

It was always argued whether her success as a poet was down to being Harold Wilson`s wife though.Although she might not be a household name anymore her death will get considerable coverage.She should go on next years list for sure along with Eden`s widow just for the sheer "Fucking hell they are still alive" quality.

• Like 1

It was always argued whether her success as a poet was down to being Harold Wilson`s wife though.Although she might not be a household name anymore her death will get considerable coverage.She should go on next years list for sure along with Eden`s widow just for the sheer "Fucking hell they are still alive" quality.

So, ironically, should Mike Yarwood, now also an unseen character!