Sign in to follow this  
Gross Urnings

Don (w)Ho?

hello...newly registered to the forum...used to occasionally post as 'Guest Yank' but I'm all in now! Anyway - legendary Hawaiin crooner Don Ho has apparently got heart issues to the point where he just went to Thailand to get an experimental stem cell procedure not legal in the U.S.A....food for thought for the '06 list. Link to story:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051209/ap_en_...eople_don_ho_11

welcome, G-Unit. Don Ho's an interesting one, mainly to see how many non-Americans have heard of him. His fame in the US is of course exponentially increased by all the ads for compilation albums featuring "Tiny bubbles". I'd imagine almost no American has seen him in concert, bought a Don Ho album, or even heard any of his songs, including Tiny Bubbles, on the radio. I also wonder if they'd have gone to all that trouble to perform an operation, apparently with successful results, if he was going to die anyway.

welcome, G-Unit. Don Ho's an interesting one, mainly to see how many non-Americans have heard of him. His fame in the US is of course exponentially increased by all the ads for compilation albums featuring "Tiny bubbles". I'd imagine almost no American has seen him in concert, bought a Don Ho album, or even heard any of his songs, including Tiny Bubbles, on the radio. I also wonder if they'd have gone to all that trouble to perform an operation, apparently with successful results, if he was going to die anyway.

I have no doubts whatsoever that Do Ho would pass the 'famous' test in the States...I agree re: this could go either way. The operation was an experimental operation not legal in the States. That is at least intriguing.

I have no doubts whatsoever that Do Ho would pass the 'famous' test in the States.

I agree completely he'd pass the US famous test, but as this is a mainly UK site it should be noted some of the Brit posters can get a little snarky if one assumes that because they're famous in America they're famous everywhere.

Of course, if Don gets tiny bubbles in his blood stream, then he'll almost certainly be a goner. I've heard that's bad

I have no doubts whatsoever that Do Ho would pass the 'famous' test in the States.

I agree completely he'd pass the US famous test, but as this is a mainly UK site it should be noted some of the Brit posters can get a little snarky if one assumes that because they're famous in America they're famous everywhere.

yep...I've lurked here long enough to know the drill. I'm usually pretty good about not being presumptuous that way, but I have to say that I always thought Don Ho was an 'international' celebrity...but we'll see when the Brits weigh in....

welcome, G-Unit.  Don Ho's an interesting one, mainly to see how many non-Americans have heard of him.  His fame in the US is of course exponentially increased by all the ads for compilation albums featuring "Tiny bubbles".  I'd imagine almost no American has seen him in concert, bought a Don Ho album, or even heard any of his songs, including Tiny Bubbles, on the radio.  I also wonder if they'd have gone to all that trouble to perform an operation, apparently with successful results, if he was going to die anyway.

I have no doubts whatsoever that Do Ho would pass the 'famous' test in the States...I agree re: this could go either way. The operation was an experimental operation not legal in the States. That is at least intriguing.

Shouldn't this thread be titled Don Who?

We've also been discussing this (at least a bit) in the Joe Longthorne thread. Is there any way to merge certain posts from another thread?

Don Ho feeling fine.

I bet his family Christmas get-togethers are a hoot.

'Ho, Ho, Ho'

Blimey, that was rubbish. If I were less of a man, I'd delete it.

Well I chuckled, but then I'm bored and easily pleased.

Well I chuckled, but then I'm bored and easily pleased.

Well, thank you. Nice Fenella Fielding avatar, STTG.

Don Ho feeling fine.

I bet his family Christmas get-togethers are a hoot.

'Ho, Ho, Ho'

I actually once worked with a Korean fellow by the name of Hai Ho....no joke. Then again, I also worked with someone named Richard Bagg, who went by 'Dick'.

He's out.

HONOLULU - Don Ho was released from a hospital Thursday following a two-week stay after having a new pacemaker installed.

"I'm recuperating from the hospital! I feel great," the 76-year-old Waikiki crooner said as he had lunch at one of his favorite restaurants.

And now he's out for good at the age of 76.

HO NO!!!

Another Ho down :)

No cause of death yet released - seeing that she was 51 and it was only a week after her dad's funeral, I am assuming suicide on this one.