Tuber Mirum

The Hartlepool Deadlypool

I'm late and I hope that's fine because I wouldn't want to miss out on the HP competition.

Billy Graham

Jerry Maren

Herta Bothe

Irving Kanrek

Joao Havelange

Lee Kuan Yew

Kirk Kirkorian

Charles Townes

Luise Rainer

Stephen Hawking

I'm late and I hope that's fine because I wouldn't want to miss out on the HP competition.

Billy Graham

Jerry Maren

Herta Bothe

Irving Kanrek

Joao Havelange

Lee Kuan Yew

Kirk Kirkorian

Charles Townes

Luise Rainer

Stephen Hawking

Thanks for your list BS. I'll stick you in the mix. You may add two more names to you submission. I'll be using them to award extra bonus points during the year. Likewise lots of other entrants have yet to advise me about the substitute players, so they can get these extra bonus points.

Leader Board:

1st - 1 point - Deathray

=2nd - 0 points - everyone else but

20th -1point - Banshees Scream

Hi RA, please could I have Joseph Kony added to my list as 2nd sub? Feel free to deduct a point of two for lateness.

Thanks DDT for that offer, however I'll only take back a point if your score both these substitute hits.

Please forgive me but every time I hear the name Run Run Shaw,

This goes through my mind...

Psycho Killer-Talking Heads

I can't seem to face up to the facts.

I'm tense and nervous and I can't relax.

I can't sleep cause my bed's on fire.

Don't touch me I'm a real live wire.

Psycho killer, qu'est-ce que c'est? Fa-fa-fa-fa-fa-fa-fa - better.

Run, run, run, run, run, run, run away.

Oh-----! Ay-ay-ay-ay!

I passed out hours ago.

I'm sadder than you'll ever know

I close my eyes on this sunny day. Say something once, why say it again?

You start a conversation, you can't even finish it. You're talking a lot, but you're not saying anything. When I have nothing to say, my lips are sealed.

Say something once, why say it again?

Ce que j'ai fais, ce soir la. Ce qu'elle a dit, ce soir la.

Realisant, mon espoir. Je me lance, vers la goire.

Okay------------! Ay-ay-ay-ay-ay-ay-ay-ay!

We are vain and we are blind.

I hate people when they're not polite.

[Translation of French section: What I did that night. What she said that night. Realizing my hopes. I rush to glory.]

Glory Leader Board:

1st - 21 points - Maryportfuncity

2nd - 1 point - Deathray

=3rd- 0 points - everyone else but

• Like 1

Glory Leader Board:

2nd - 1 point - Deathray

Damn looks like im stuck in 3rd place again :D

• Like 1

Please forgive me but every time I hear the name Run Run Shaw,

This goes through my mind...

Psycho Killer-Talking Heads

I can't seem to face up to the facts.

I'm tense and nervous and I can't relax.

I can't sleep cause my bed's on fire.

Don't touch me I'm a real live wire.

Oh-----! Ay-ay-ay-ay!

I passed out hours ago.

I'm sadder than you'll ever know

I close my eyes on this sunny day. Say something once, why say it again?

You start a conversation, you can't even finish it. You're talking a lot, but you're not saying anything. When I have nothing to say, my lips are sealed.

Say something once, why say it again?

Ce que j'ai fais, ce soir la. Ce qu'elle a dit, ce soir la.

Realisant, mon espoir. Je me lance, vers la goire.

Okay------------! Ay-ay-ay-ay-ay-ay-ay-ay!

We are vain and we are blind.

I hate people when they're not polite.

[Translation of French section: What I did that night. What she said that night. Realizing my hopes. I rush to glory.]

Glory Leader Board:

2nd - 1 point - Deathray

Mine is Jo Jo Gunne.

Then of course there is this one

I'm a-walkin' in the rain,

Tears are fallin' and I feel the pain,

Wishin' you were here by me,

To end this misery

And I wonder--

I wah-wah-wah-wah-wonder,

Why,

Why, why, why, why, why she ran away,

Yes, and I wonder,

A-where she will stay-ay,

My little runaway,

Run, run, run, run, runaway.

Ariel Sharon has been my bug bear for 8 years and now he goes and dies at the start of a year rather than at the end of a year to handicap me in this years HPDP.

Glory Leader Board:

2nd - 11 points - STAB in the DARK

3rd - 1 point - Deathray

=4rd- 0 points - everyone else but

Figured my #1 a questionable choice for obits but - to be fair to our much maligned British press - the usual hypocrisy of bigging up the struggle followed by ignoring the death hasn't been a problem.

Daily Mail probs did the most: http://www.dailymail...s_campaign=1490

Not sure the positioning of the young chap called Felix Glenny was totally within the spirit of the probability/likelihood rule but you played a hand close to the line there, and you have the benefit of the doubt for the time being. NAP may have a view, if you have overstepped rules 2 and 5...

"2. For the purpose of the game a "celebrity" is someone well-enough known to get their death mentioned in the UK national press or on the BBC news website. Or anywhere else Notapotato's heavily-prejudiced mind considers a reliable, respectable source of international news. In the event of disagreement as to the celebrity of any individual or the validity of an obituary, Notapotato's word is final."

"5. Anyone selecting tender-aged sufferers of terminal diseases or anyone under sentence of death or highly likely to be sentenced to death at the start of the year will be summarily ridiculed and very likely penalised in an arbitrary and unpleasant way should their candidates actually die or be killed."

But until then, you now have a shed load of points.

As an aside I have given LFN a fraction of a point. 3/8ths of one point to be precise, for having Eusebio as his number one choice all last year without any joy, only for him to be dropped a week before his death. Of the 8 undead on LFN's 2013 list he continued with 3 of them into this year, so I award him that very cryptic fraction as a hard luck consolation prize.

Glory Leader Board:

1st - 84 points - Maryportfuncity

3rd - 1 point - Deathray

4th - 0.375 points - LFN

=5th- 0 points - everyone else but

• Like 1

Not sure the positioning of the young chap called Felix Glenny was totally within the spirit of the probability/likelihood rule but you played a hand close to the line there, and you have the benefit of the doubt for the time being. NAP may have a view, if you have overstepped rules 2 and 5...

"2. For the purpose of the game a "celebrity" is someone well-enough known to get their death mentioned in the UK national press or on the BBC news website. Or anywhere else Notapotato's heavily-prejudiced mind considers a reliable, respectable source of international news. In the event of disagreement as to the celebrity of any individual or the validity of an obituary, Notapotato's word is final."

"5. Anyone selecting tender-aged sufferers of terminal diseases or anyone under sentence of death or highly likely to be sentenced to death at the start of the year will be summarily ridiculed and very likely penalised in an arbitrary and unpleasant way should their candidates actually die or be killed."

As an aside I have given LFN a fraction of a point. 3/8ths of one point to be precise, for having Eusebio as his number one choice all last year without any joy, only for him to be dropped a week before his death. Of the 8 undead on LFN's 2013 list he continued with 3 of them into this year, so I award him that very cryptic fraction as a hard luck consolation prize.

Glory Leader Board:

3rd - 1 point - Deathray

4th - 0.375 points - LFN

Cheers fella!!

IIRC, and Im happy to be corrected, I could have sworn that I had him down for a January exit too.

I had toyed with the idea of keeping him on this list too!

Bugger ;)

Glory Leader Board:

3rd - 1 point - Deathray

4th - 0.375 points - LFN

I queried the "tender age" limitations on Christmas Eve (when Kristin Hallenga was still on my long-list) and the ensuing discussion placed the limatation around 21 for full points. Granted, Glenny isn't in great taste and I'm with Lardy in finding the case tragic. But he and his family did the borderline celeb thing of a fund-raising campaign that got media coverage and even got Sharon Osbourne on board. Unsurprisingly there was a late rush his way on the DDP too and several braver than me risked their joker picks and have been duly rewarded.

It's also a question of "celebrity". In no way was Mr Glenny a "celebrity". Had some media coverage but that in no way would make him "a celebrity" within a matter of a few weeks. I've been thinking about this today and I'm of a mind set to bring forward a random act or two of ridicule and summery punishment on the count of:-

1. Mr Glenny not being a celebrity and breaking the spirit on rule 2.

2. Being young and ill, in line with rule 5, with a fatal condition in a tragic heart rending case.

Therefore my initial judgement (prior to NAP having his say) is that you shall be docked 5 points for rule 2 infringement, and 2 points for rule 5 infringement.

These penalties shall be removed from the initial basic score. Thus you will now only gain 38 basic points (not 45). Bonus points however will still be issued and thus raise the one fifth calculation of 7.6 times the 2 points for a unique hit. That's 15.2 bonus points giving a total haul of 53.2 points for Mr Glenny.

Glory Leader Board:

1st - 74.2 points - Maryportfuncity

3rd - 1 point - Deathray

4th - 0.375 points - LFN

Guest Norris

Rotten Ali should deduct a further 0.21 points from Maryport. This would mean that in the event of a very close finish, he would be 0.01 points behind, rather than 0.2 points ahead. That's the sort of justice that would go down well in Hartlepool

However, to compensate him, perhaps if he should get the death by bongo bonus points for another of his picks, the points could be squared, multiplied by pi and then doubled, before being divided by the square root of the day of the month that the bongo death occurred (unless the day happens to be the 13th, in which case the cube root shall be extracted) and finally being, multiplied by - naturally - 0.21.

It's also a question of "celebrity". In no way was Mr Glenny a "celebrity". Had some media coverage but that in no way would make him "a celebrity" within a matter of a few weeks. I've been thinking about this today and I'm of a mind set to bring forward a random act or two of ridicule and summery punishment on the count of:-

1. Mr Glenny not being a celebrity and breaking the spirit on rule 2.

2. Being young and ill, in line with rule 5, with a fatal condition in a tragic heart rending case.

Therefore my initial judgement (prior to NAP having his say) is that you shall be docked 5 points for rule 2 infringement, and 2 points for rule 5 infringement.

These penalties shall be removed from the initial basic score. Thus you will now only gain 38 basic points (not 45). Bonus points however will still be issued and thus raise the one fifth calculation of 7.6 times the 2 points for a unique hit. That's 15.2 bonus points giving a total haul of 53.2 points for Mr Glenny.

Glory Leader Board:

1st - 74.2 points - Maryportfuncity

3rd - 1 point - Deathray

4th - 0.375 points - LFN

will you do the same for katherine crowe or kate granger ? I hope not otherwise i'm f##ked :D

Katherine Crowe is at least a lesser known singer and a minor writer so no problems with her. Dr Kate Granger is blogging about her cancer and is now well known, however that hardly makes her a celebrity so I think a point (or two) may be removed. Ditto situations as and when others die.

As an unwritten rule, if the person in question has no wiki page, or has no link on Rotten.com, or picked by 4 or fewer teams on DDP and is going to be a unique hit on HPDP then that could raise questions as to level of fame.

Having had a few fifteen minutes of fame on the local TV news, eight picks on the DDP and a single Daily Mail article prior to death is no pointer to celebrity.

• Like 1

Katherine Crowe is at least a lesser known singer and a minor writer so no problems with her. Dr Kate Granger is blogging about her cancer and is now well known, however that hardly makes her a celebrity so I think a point (or two) may be removed. Ditto situations as and when others die.

As an unwritten rule, if the person in question has no wiki page, or has no link on Rotten.com, or picked by 4 or fewer teams on DDP and is going to be a unique hit on HPDP then that could raise questions as to level of fame.

Having had a few fifteen 5 minutes of fame on the local TV news, eight picks on the DDP and a single Daily Mail article prior to death is no pointer to celebrity.

That's going to be a hard rule to get right to everyone's satisfaction. Glenny - for example - might have lacked Granger's middle-class credentials but he rapidy shot to more press coverage than she gets. He was diagnosed with a virulent cancer that meant he was never going to have much time from diagnosis to death, so, frankly, the fundraising boy done good in the limited time he had. The top 11 DDP places currently contain all eight teams that picked him and the runaway leaders are all those who netted 24 points from his selection as joker.

So how much money did he raise?

But hang on, it's not that he doing worthy things for cancer charity, it's others donating to a fund to help his young family... That's how ill he was! Not because of any "celebrity" nature of his.

Heaven knows, I'm thinking that I was too light on you over this.

So how much money did he raise?

But hang on it's not that he doing worthy things for cancer charity, it's other donating to a fund to help his young family... That's how ill he was. Not because of any celebrity nature of his.

Heaven knows, I'm thinking that I was too light on you over this.

Fund stands at almost £60,000 at the moment.

Still can't look at those pictures without crying my fucking eyes out. I'm obviously going soft in my old age.

Well.

I'm reminded of something I wrote a week or two ago about Rule 5:

"I think the spirit of the law in this case intends to penalise those selecting very young, low hanging fruit of the tabloid variety."

Admittedly he isn't extremely young, though far too young to die.

I can't imagine how he could be more tabloid than he is. I mean his widow's name is Cola for pity's sake. I don't know, I've been out of the country for 20 years, but back then you would have got in the papers just for being called Cola.

Low hanging fruit definitely.

Which brings us to the question of his celebrity.

Taking the rule literally. it follows that since his death was reported in the paper he must be famous enough to qualify for celebrity. Unfortunately his death was reported in the Mail, an organ which no intelligent person in the world, never mind Notapotato, could consider to be a reliable, respectable source of international news. So that's definitely an infringement, unless someone can find an obit somewhere else.

The rules don't specify the penalty for breaking rule 2 but the tacit implication is that the candidate is not a valid choice and thus scores no points.

Include with this the penalty for breaking Rule 5 and Mary should actually be getting minus points for his candidate.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

That was me summarily ridiculing MPFC. Others should feel free to join in.

PS: I'll leave it up to Rotten Ali to decide what really to do. He does a grand job and is probably a bit fairer than me.

• Like 1

Regardless of other factors, on the obit front Glenny's death was reported by the BBC as well - http://www.bbc.co.uk...d-kent-25711007

That's a lucky break for Mary then.

Still strictly speaking a breach of the spirit of the rule, but possibly meriting a slightly lesser penalty.

• Like 1