Tuber Mirum

The Hartlepool Deadlypool

The dead cow we'd all like to know why you picked her. 

On 15/11/2018 at 00:54, the_engineer said:

The dead cow we'd all like to know why you picked her. 

Oh, she had a few health issues which left her housebound, 'terminal' celiac disease and numerous mental health problems. The way she ended up going was an unexpected turn of events. 

There will be an intervention by the end of the year with official scores, right?

Tbh I'd forgotten to check this thread until it rose again just now

Announcement:

I'd like to reassure the anxious hordes that the Hartlepool DP will be going ahead in 2019.  Due to a scarcity of updates this year, we may have to take action to protect this important part of our deadpooling heritage, which I'm sure our absent host, the great Rotten Ali would understand.  Stand by for further news...

DDT

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, DevonDeathTrip said:

Announcement:

I'd like to reassure the anxious hordes that the Hartlepool DP will be going ahead in 2019.  Due to a scarcity of updates this year, we may have to take action to protect this important part of our deadpooling heritage, which I'm sure our absent host, the great Rotten Ali would understand.  Stand by for further news...

DDT

I think @Rotten Ali has just given his commendation to you as new host in another thread. So congrats.

41 minutes ago, Deathray said:

I think @Rotten Ali has just given his commendation to you as new host in another thread. So congrats.

Won't be me running it, I've never understood the scoring system and would make a terrible mess.

1 hour ago, DevonDeathTrip said:

Won't be me running it, I've never understood the scoring system and would make a terrible mess.

I don't think anyone but RA understands the scoring system?

• Like 1

Many thanks to Rotten Ali for his years of hosting the Hartlepool Deadlypool. He kept a deadpooling staple ticking along years beyond Notapotato's tenure, and while understandable that real life duties supersede deadpooling matters, his presence is nevertheless missed. The HPDP shall live on, though, and after some consulting with DDT, I have decided to take over hosting duties. Ali is a tough act to follow, but I'm up to the task.

As Ali noted in another thread that he intends on completing the scoring for this year, I'll leave that duty to him, but 2019 henceforth is mine to handle. Will open entries on Christmas. Be sure to prepare your Morris dancing war criminals (unless they play baseball)!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, Death Impends said:

Many thanks to Rotten Ali for his years of hosting the Hartlepool Deadlypool. He kept a deadpooling staple ticking along years beyond Notapotato's tenure, and while understandable that real life duties supersede deadpooling matters, his presence is nevertheless missed. The HPDP shall live on, though, and after some consulting with DDT, I have decided to take over hosting duties. Ali is a tough act to follow, but I'm up to the task.

As Ali noted in another thread that he intends on completing the scoring for this year, I'll leave that duty to him, but 2019 henceforth is mine to handle. Will open entries on Christmas. Be sure to prepare your Morris dancing war criminals (unless they play baseball)!

Yay! Ok I will enter after all, even though this is my worst pool.

This and the Inverse? You are a hero!

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Yay! Ok I will enter after all, even though this is my worst pool.

This and the Inverse? You are a hero!

Aye, I'll be continuing with the Inverse as well ;) The entry period is really the only time period for Inverse that takes any time, and the rest is 15-20 updates that take five minutes each. So my maintaining a second deadpool is feasible, even one as complicated as the Hartlepool!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

On ‎19‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 01:46, Deathray said:

I don't think anyone but RA understands the scoring system?

If I get the scoring system its main genius was that picks moved up to fill the vacant slot above them when someone died so - in theory - you could have ten first picks all scoring maximum points. In other words it's a double test because the skill is getting the deaths in the right order. Obviously, as a twice crowned winner, I'd claim this as evidence of dead pooling talent for anyone who performs well. 

I know there are other random ways a pick can accrue points etc. But the item above is the usp of this pool.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Death Impends said:

The entry period for the 2019 HPDP has opened! 2019 matters to proceed in this thread.

Why the move to a new thread? This one's served it's purpose for 13 years.

17 minutes ago, Deathray said:

Why the move to a new thread? This one's served it's purpose for 13 years.

Most deadpools have a new thread for each year.  Makes it much easier to find stuff like teams, scoreboard etc.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Toast said:

Most deadpools have a new thread for each year.  Makes it much easier to find stuff like teams, scoreboard etc.

But this is one of the handful that hasn't bothered, and has led the way in showing deadpools not needing thread clutter. Shame to see it siphoned off into yet another thread clutter proponent.

9 minutes ago, Deathray said:

But this is one of the handful that hasn't bothered, and has led the way in showing deadpools not needing thread clutter. Shame to see it siphoned off into yet another thread clutter proponent.

Does it really fucking matter? 

• Like 1

Just now, Joey Russ said:

Does it really fucking matter? 

Yes, it really fucking matters. 

I prefer a new thread for each competition.  It makes for less "clutter", not more.  The threads for completed competitions just sink to the bottom, out of the way.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Toast said:

I prefer a new thread for each competition.  It makes for less "clutter", not more.  The threads for completed competitions just sink to the bottom, out of the way.

It never was an issue for this particular pool in the past though was it? This is like an old pub run by the same guy for 30 years getting a new landlord, who decides to piss on the floor and commandeer a cafe next door to run the pub for 12 months.

There's no need for it.

• Haha 1

There have been issues though, such as the most recent rules all being well into the thread rather than on page one. Having all the crucial info on page one of a new thread works far more seamlessly.

If these dead pool threads were all still in Extra-Curricular (and even in those days DDP/Deathrace had a new thread each year), then your argument regarding clutter would carry more weight, but I feel a new thread is the right choice and am sticking to my guns.

• Like 4

New thread was long overdue, things were getting difficult to find and we all know how temperamental the search function is.

Thread clutter? What is this, 1998 and everyone's still on dial up?

Merry Christmas, incidentally!

New thread?  Why?  Who among us doesn't appreciate the effort of going back .... and back..... to page 47 or summat, to see last year's list, or summat, or back to the first few pages to see the rules or summat.  I LOVE doing that.

SC

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

Points for Sister Wendy please!  Picked for thirteen years in a row by me.  Who on earth am I going to build my team around next year? :rip:

• Like 1

Ok, I appear to be in a minority on the issue of new threads then....

• Like 1

To the Mods, I appreciate 110% that my flippant comments about separating the DPs from Extracurricular was acted upon. as it was difficult for a newbie like me to drill down to the essence of each DP.
And I think it's been a success.
However my initial point still hasn't quite come to fruition, and with Deathray's post, allow me to say I would agree no need for annual threads 'if and only if' we did as I had suggested originally but kinda let it go to see where the new DL topic would take us.  And that is, can we please (with the graces of those who run each DP) maybe make a single thread where the rules of each are posted, and updated, and make it so there are no comments allowed, only updates.  This will pull the rules into one easy-to-find place, and will also reduce the need for new annual threads.
*descends soap box after a curtsy*

SC