Tuber Mirum

The Hartlepool Deadlypool

I rather hoping that The King Of Wallis, Tomasi Kulimoetoke might beat boring Barzan al-Tikriti in the race for the first HDP points of the year. This article suggests he is on the way out.

However, I am a little nervous about his prospects of a UK or US obit. The population of Wallis is about half the size of a small English town.

DDT, I've a feeling he might get a brief obit in the Independent

Bearing in mind the above comment; does anyone know how many UK press obits might have been prompted - at least in part - by picks in deadpools. In other words some marginal character gets a little write up because some journo's mate is in a deadpool.

Bearing in mind the above comment; does anyone know how many UK press obits might have been prompted - at least in part - by picks in deadpools. In other words some marginal character gets a little write up because some journo's mate is in a deadpool.

If he doesn't get a press mention when he goes, I'm going to do some serious lobbying. I'll contact the BBC, The Times, The Telegraph, The Guardian and The Independent pretending to be "Doug, a bereft Wallis Islander currently living in, er, Sunderland"

And I have a follow-up question: how many marginal characters don't get a little write-up because some journo's mate is in a deadpool? :blink:

regards,

Hein

If he doesn't get a press mention when he goes, I'm going to do some serious lobbying. I'll contact the BBC, The Times, The Telegraph, The Guardian and The Independent pretending to be "Doug, a bereft Wallis Islander currently living in, er, Sunderland"

:blink::D:):lol::lol:

That's class; even if he gets a write up, you should do it complaining they've under-valued him.

And I have a follow-up question: how many marginal characters don't get a little write-up because some journo's mate is in a deadpool? :blink:

regards,

Hein

It's not so much about journalists' mates (they don't have any), but it is about lazy uninformed journalists. Lobbying works pretty well. If your (British, preferably home counties) dad earned the Military Medal for shooting up a German gun emplacement on D-day, he's almost certain to get a Daily Telegraph obit, particularly if you can supply all the details and a nice pic. Every last survivor of "the few" is assured of a write up.

If, on the other hand, you were a formative member of Gay Pride you might have to settle for the Guardian. I have written the odd obit and the obits editor was always scratching around for obits to put in the can. I can't believe they don't look in here for inspiration. I certainly would.

If you look at the Telegraph they work on three-a-day most days, so they don't do many four or five par affairs. A lot of the discussion will be much the same as happens here when trying to balance importance/fame etc. The broadsheets tip towards importance while the tabloids prefer celebrity. Jane Goody is unlikely to get a Telegraph obit but there would be a news write up on page three if she were to die tomorrow since it would be an unusual death.

Death pools and deathlists are useful as checklists and for timing obits since many are written ahead and then filed to be tickled up at time of death. Big ones like US presidents, cabinet ministers and royalty need quite a bit of perparatory work.

News organisations can be expected to be much better informed than we are about establishment figures since they have journos in the House of Lords and Commons picking up all the health gossip.

It's just possible that the DL could influence coverage of people like Ruby F*****g Muhammad. But I can't believe any broadsheet - probabaly no tabloid either - is going to go for Rowdy Robby Piper. But they will cover Mick McManus when he dies because he hails back to the days when British TV wrestling was popular.

Has it ever happened that someone on the Deathlist has not earned a UK obit? If not I'm sure there are one or two candidates for misses this year. And what will that say about the Deathlist?

I remember seeing an obituary of the rapper Proof (whom I had not previously heard of) in the Times last year. How does this fit with people's expectations of who gets an obit in which paper? Is a Chicago rapper (who I seem to recall was only being obituarised because he was friends with Eminem) more likely than a wrestler?

I remember seeing an obituary of the rapper Proof (whom I had not previously heard of) in the Times last year. How does this fit with people's expectations of who gets an obit in which paper? Is a Chicago rapper (who I seem to recall was only being obituarised because he was friends with Eminem) more likely than a wrestler?

In Texas the wrestler would be more likely to get the obituary. :referee:

Robert Thomson, editor of the Times, likes to think of himself as trendy. He isn't. But his obits editor probably thought a rapper would pander to the editor's concept of "yoof". Yet another example of newspaper bollocks.

Been waiting on the news from Baghdad. But going to pose a question:- What happens if there is no video tape or specific account of the hanging if both Barzan and Awad are hung at the same time? Some of us are listing one above the other, will we all be credited a pair of 50 hits? Or a pair of 45 pointers?

Or, in all cases, a 50 point and a 45 point hit? and will the following maximum scores be capped at 50 or 45 points?

Been waiting on the news from Baghdad. But going to pose a question:- What happens if there is no video tape or specific account of the hanging if both Barzan and Awad are hung at the same time? Some of us are listing one above the other, will we all be credited a pair of 50 hits? Or a pair of 45 pointers?

Or, in all cases, a 50 point and a 45 point hit? and will the following maximum scores be capped at 50 or 45 points?

The decision comes to me, and I cancel all points.

There's a sh*t load of points on the scoreboard now! Respect to A Can of Whoopass and the rest of the top four, fortune favours the brave, or summat.

There's a sh*t load of points on the scoreboard now! Respect to A Can of Whoopass and the rest of the top four, fortune favours the brave, or summat.

What? Don't you mean fortune favours the bleedin' obvious. Had I been in NAP's shoes I would have null and voided the Saddam henchmen but we were told they were fair game. The contest starts for real now although I will never recognise the tainted entries that included Josie Grove.

What? Don't you mean fortune favours the bleedin' obvious. Had I been in NAP's shoes I would have null and voided the Saddam henchmen but we were told they were fair game. The contest starts for real now although I will never recognise the tainted entries that included Josie Grove.

Godot, just because you were told they were fair game didn't mean you HAD to pick them. You seem to have changed your tune since you posted this

With regard to Jo5ie Grove, you are entitled to your opinion (and I agree that she is a pretty sick choice), but I doubt many deadpoolers will cry themselves to sleep because they haven't got your seal of approval.

Godot, just because you were told they were fair game didn't mean you HAD to pick them. You seem to have changed your tune since you posted this

With regard to Jo5ie Grove, you are entitled to your opinion (and I agree that she is a pretty sick choice), but I doubt many deadpoolers will cry themselves to sleep because they haven't got your seal of approval.

The thing is DDT I went to bed that night and couldn't stop dreaming of points. I agree, if you're a worm you're not going to care about anything I say. But you still wake up next day as a worm. Nice HDP team by the way. Class.

Why am I a turd for selecting Denis Skinner? I think he's a fine man and will be sorely missed. But he's a big boy now. A sporting choice as far as I can see. He's not your dad is he Tempus?

We do try to be non-judgemental at the HDP. However, the decision to allow those fellows, particularly in combination with the Crimes Against Humanity Bonus, was probably an ill-considered one.

Still all's fair, and the bonus for the most interesting and unusual selections also hasn't been awarded, to name but one of the arbitrary and unpredictable events which may occur in the course of the competition.

We do try to be non-judgemental at the HDP. However, the decision to allow those fellows, particularly in combination with the Crimes Against Humanity Bonus, was probably an ill-considered one.

Still all's fair, and the bonus for the most interesting and unusual selections also hasn't been awarded, to name but one of the arbitrary and unpredictable events which may occur in the course of the competition.

Interesting and unusual selections tend not to die though, which rather negates the point of a deadpool.

But what a spectacular and unprecedented success it would be if a team of interesting and unusual selections were to win!*

*[Edit: Yikes! No offense, ff!!]

Edited by in eternum+

But what a spectacular and unprecedented success it would be if a team of interesting and unusual selections were to win!*

'bout as likely as Carlisle lifting the FA Cup, mind.

I chose Josie Grove so I'm just going to get off my high horse and hide in the corner for a while.

At the end of the day, there is some chance she won't die so it's not cheating*.

*By some standards.

Interesting and unusual selections tend not to die though, which rather negates the point of a deadpool.

Tempus, have you been at the grumpy juice again?