Sign in to follow this  
Grim Reaper

Stanley Kunitz

Of course, if he doesn't end up getting a UK obit, and it means it's not a hit, then Iain will have to resign from deathlist after all.

It might not count on DDP, but surely it will for DL. I thought that the famousness test was applied by the DL committee when compiling the list, ie this person is likely to get a mention in the UK media when they die. As long as someone is on the list in the first place, if they die, it's a hit.

Of course, if he doesn't end up getting a UK obit, and it means it's not a hit, then Iain will have to resign from deathlist after all.

It might not count on DDP, but surely it will for DL. I thought that the famousness test was applied by the DL committee when compiling the list, ie this person is likely to get a mention in the UK media when they die. As long as someone is on the list in the first place, if they die, it's a hit.

That's generally correct, although had Kunitz' death not been covered in the UK media then we would have had a bit of a dilemma, as the stated rule on the home page is that's a requirement for it to count. I for one would probably have voted it a miss if no UK media outlet picked it up, but the fame threshold varies amongst the committe members. To be honest, I'd never had heard of the guy but for the DL.

S'cuse me gannin' over old ground but Edward Upward, a poet older than Kunitz, will also get a UK obit when the time comes. Assuming he has breath on December 31st I reckon we should go there again and select him.

On the Beeb website now. Not exactly a front page banner headline, but I believe this makes it a genuine, 100% DL approved "famous" death.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/4985400.stm

It will count as a UK obituary, according to the ddp, so DL will get its points once they update the scoreboard.

I was mocking a little known work of Fantasy, where a character, mindless and driven by the need to constantly be in battle, would yell out "A fray! A fray!" whenever he would enter a battle.

uh, CP, I think you'll find your character is yelling "Affray! Affray!"

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=affray

Rats, I always do that... transcribe the word that I see in my head to a misspelled word on paper. I guess the oweness is on me to admit to that to you all! :P

(Yes, I know it's onus before anyone comments)

Yesterdays sometime after my semi-annual a.a. meeting I had to break the news of this to a fellow who was nearly heartbroken when he heard of this passing. He was though amazingly on targert and knew that Stan was 100 years of age or thereabouts. He then headed to the Library to get some books.

GO TEAM DL!!

[Editor's note: for those not clever enough to put two and two together, please read the above comment as: "I'm so pleased that we've had another 2006 graduate. I am very impressed with our abilities to select dying people."]

Guest Guest

This dude be dead a long time now and still you aint got no F*****g details on it That just wrong and it aint the way we sposed to respect people so when someone gonna step up and due the man justice and write his story.

Guest R'Tron

Sorry man I forgot to put my sig in there you knows how it be when you get mad.

Sorry man I forgot to put my sig in there you knows how it be when you get mad.

No diggedy R'Tron, me be feelin' ya, a'ight?

You be bustin' out da compton slang an' ting, I gots to respect dat, so if you's a fan ov da Kunitz, be our guest an big-up your man... in your own words, as many as u like homeboy. Let's get busy wit da obizzy...

This dude be dead a long time now and still you aint got no F*****g details on it That just wrong and it aint the way we sposed to respect people so when someone gonna step up and due the man justice and write his story.

An excellently and concisely made point. And now that we have a new admin-man, there's no excuse, is there really? ;)

An excellently and concisely made point. And now that we have a new admin-man, there's no excuse, is there really? ;)

As far as my (limited) knowledge extends, an Admin can update the "2006 List in Full" section of this part of the forum (which has yet to be done *cough cough*), but I think, whether by access limitations or by respectfulness, only the GR updates the story.

This one is out of my hands I'm afraid. The front page stuff comes live and direct from the Reaper himself, hence, sometimes, the lag between a death and a front page update. If the Reaper is busy the page stays the same!

I suppose what I am trying to say is: It's somebody else's problem!

DWB ;)

You are quite correct CP.

Your absolutely correct. Infact I had much interest in the obituary job but unfortunately my PM was never returned. ;)

Why should they get backe to you Basrnshes you never ersoinded to my asking you about the keyboard problem even though I now have at least 2 of them thate I could give you. what's the deal on that one?? Seems to me you just want to justify being a twit............you and a hole host of otheres.

((Myself not included)

It's a little late for a eulogy to Stanley but, some 150 days after his passing I offer the following in appreciation for his life and his work. :referee:

I would gladly give my life if I could advance the cause of truth. -Stanley Kunitz in Rollo May, The Courage to Create, G.J. McLeod Ltd., Toronto, 1975, p.16.

CHESTNUT TREES

Poetry has its source, deep under the layers of a life, in the primordial self. It is the task of the poet to fold back these layers to recover the self, to walk through his many selves, some not his own. For it would seem that the poet writing is not the person who he once was. Some residual self remains; some principle of being abides through the immense layers of universal time. Like the universe this being, too, seems to be expanding. -Ron Price with thanks to Stanley Kunitz in The Dismantling of Time In Contemporary Poetry, Richard Jackson, The University of Alabama Press, London, 1988, p.5.

They gave me the past right back

to that little map of residual heat(1)

after the big bang, a massive

expanse of world, of universe,

immense, intricate, awesome.

They gave me the past right back

to Adam and what you might call

recorded history, the wheel,

and those civilizations in all

their Toynbeean complexity.2

They gave me the past in the

burning bush, the sigh on the

Cross and the blood-stained line

of martyrs even unto today,

knife-cut-candles burning

sub-cutaneous fat.

They gave me the past in those

burning leaves, joyous, light,

in snowforts, playing, in the country,

by the river flowing to the lake

in summer and then the chestnut

trees where I now float on a hill

of sweetness that I cannot touch,

awesome mystery, residual heat

on the computer screen of my brain.

Ron Price

6 March 1999

That's all Stanley!

1 In a series of TV programs called “Stephen Hawking’s Universe”, recent discoveries regarding the big-bang theory of the universe were outlined, thereby popularising what was hitherto knowledge confined to ‘experts’: physicists and astrophysicists, etc.

2 Arnold Toynbee’s Study of History in 12 volumes describes the 21 civilizations making a host of comparisons and contrasts.

It's a little late for a eulogy to Stanley but, some 150 days after his passing I offer the following in appreciation for his life and his work. :referee:

[snip]

of History in 12 volumes describes the 21 civilizations making a host of comparisons and contrasts.

Seems I missed out on 'Ron Price's poetry morning' this morning then, what with the Billy Graham pseudo-eulogy as well. And with footnotes too, very fancy I must say. A bibliography would have been nice, but a short description of oneself in third person more than makes up for it. And is in no way weird. :o

Although proper poetry rhymes of course, I thought I'd better point that out. Otherwise it's just prose with too many commas and not enough full stops. :o

Or is it?

Or is it just my interpretation,

A falsehood from within?

from within a place

A Place!

a place where order rules, and expression stifled

By words that rhyme

No room to fly, Ye Gods!

Let the thoughts fly free

Out, structure

Begone, constraints

Freedom forever.

No, I was right the first time I think, rhyming rules, case closed. Although maybe some Toynbeean complexity would have added the 'je ne sais quoi' I was looking for.

'TLC has been a work-shy fop since 1995, pushing pens from Kent to London. Before this TLC was a work-shy student for 3 years. TLC has no wife or children, and is currently up to his eyeballs in debt. He can also write short rhyming poems, if you like. Probably. Although don't rush him.' 2006©

'TLC has been a work-shy fop since 1995, pushing pens from Kent to London. Before this TLC was a work-shy student for 3 years. TLC has no wife or children, and is currently up to his eyeballs in debt. He can also write short rhyming poems, if you like. Probably. Although don't rush him.' 2006©

Really? Wow I never knew that. By the way I tried a new pill this mourning and it seems to be working wonders on my fingers and my brains skills it almost seems a shame to waste it with the gin but breakfast is the most important meal of the day.

Why should they get backe to you Basrnshes you never ersoinded to my asking you about the keyboard problem even though I now have at least 2 of them thate I could give you. what's the deal on that one?? Seems to me you just want to justify being a twit............you and a hole host of otheres.

((Myself not included)

Right now i'm using On - Screen - Keyboard.

Oh.

soe I candf get rid of thew COPmaq key board I ghave herer>:>?

An excellently and concisely made point. And now that we have a new admin-man, there's no excuse, is there really? :lol:

GR really is slacking, Stanley still has no obit on the front page. I shall have to send him an email to gee him along, standards are slipping, Poor show indeed.

An excellently and concisely made point. And now that we have a new admin-man, there's no excuse, is there really? :lol:

GR really is slacking, Stanley still has no obit on the front page. I shall have to send him an email to gee him along, standards are slipping, Poor show indeed.

Well snap to it, I don't get nearly enough in the way of e-mails.