Sign in to follow this  
Grim Reaper

Stanley Kunitz

Overall grade B+ on content and idea communication, C+ on grammar and spelling.

Final grade B.

For 2 minutes of thinking I widely accept my final grade.

What exact;u does repluing in 6 mean? oh masybe it means Stanley is the 6th listeed perswon.

At anty even t glad you are contendt with your grade bansheees.

We have a hit! A hit!

I'll be damned! Iain must be sooooo excited. :angry:

regards,

Hein

95 before becoming poet laureate, Jeeezzzz what a waiting list.

Has there been a UK obit, though? :angry:

and will there be one?

Seeing how it's already been reported in Ireland, I'm pretty sure he'll get at least some mention.

An ode to Stanley:

There was an old poet called Stan,

Whose features were pallid and wan,

He live more than most,

Then gave up the ghost,

His life and his work down the can.

PS. To whom it may concern, will you view this as a job application?

Godot

We have a hit! A hit!

<sarcasm>

How truly palpable.

</sarcasm>

It reminds me of a signiture Anubis The Jackal once had. I hate when words are said back to back. You just have to find some way around it.

This is a poem for all poets, just a preview of my work.

There and again

Here and before

The poets mind

Is what words are for

Through emotion and fantasy

Through phases of time

Through dreams and visions

Is what brings these words to rhyme!

Reality and illusion

Pleasure and pain

Life lives and dies

Though one's words shall always remain

- JD

Edited by Banshees Scream

We have a hit! A hit!

<sarcasm>

How truly palpable.

</sarcasm>

I hate when words are said back to back. You just have to find some way around it.

I was mocking a little known work of Fantasy, where a character, mindless and driven by the need to constantly be in battle, would yell out "A fray! A fray!" whenever he would enter a battle. It represented some of the feelings I've had about people (no names in particular) childishly awaiting excuses to mindlessly post. By announcing his death in that way I aimed to:

A) Display how childish/simple it would be to make a bigger deal out of this than it needs to be, while at the same time accepting that people on here will go into a posting flurry at the news of a death. In fact, it may even be a bit of personal reflection/lamentation that I myself have posted quite excessively today due my childish excitement to this DL hit.

B ) Take a break from the intellectual fingerbanging that I've been doing all day to prepare for this weekend's Undergraduate Research Conference, hoping that certain pompous DLers might get off their high horse and be happy that information was succinctly relayed instead of being pretentious fools who think they're oh so witty making pithy commentary on the postings/grammar stylings of others on an online form.

Seriously, relax. Online pissing contests (especially the DL Grammar thread) are like the Special Olympics. Even if you win, you're still retarded. (Sorry, couldn't help it :angry: )

To paraphrase Samuel L. Jackson in the great film Pulp Fiction, I was in a good mood but you're seriously testing my patience! Let's just relax shall we, advice that I shall now try to heed myself.

How sad how very very sad.

Dear sweet man gone far too soon.

Sad life he had his daddy capping his self offf before young Stanley was born and then of course being Lithuanian. Not too many Lithuanians that I have ever met but he kept a stiff upper lip and traversed the road of life at times telling jolly good stories and always grateful to the people who respected his work.

A sadness rains upon the city today with the loss of our neighbor.

Perhaps this link to his poems will ease the pain.

Stanley Kunitz Poems

I see Deathlist is celebrating his demise, but I still don't see a UK obit.

I'm sure there will be (although I confess to have never heard of him before he was selected for DL), but aren't we supposed to wait for that, or have the rules changed? Or is Ireland counted as the UK??

It's not so much being pedantic about this, it's a query for future DL reference & suggestions...

I see Deathlist is celebrating his demise, but I still don't see a UK obit.

I'm sure there will be (although I confess to have never heard of him before he was selected for DL), but aren't we supposed to wait for that, or have the rules changed? Or is Ireland counted as the UK??

It's not so much being pedantic about this, it's a query for future DL reference & suggestions...

It appears that GR has already updated the front page, so I take it there's enough evidence.

regards,

Hein

Stanley Kunitz is deathlists 5th success of 2006.

He is the 142nd success since 1987.

The 2006 list is now in 13th place shared with 1992 and 1993 out of a possible 20 lists.

Looks like iain will be staying a little longer. Let the boasting begin...

We have a hit! A hit!

<sarcasm>

How truly palpable.

</sarcasm>

I hate when words are said back to back. You just have to find some way around it.

I was mocking a little known work of Fantasy, where a character, mindless and driven by the need to constantly be in battle, would yell out "A fray! A fray!" whenever he would enter a battle. It represented some of the feelings I've had about people (no names in particular) childishly awaiting excuses to mindlessly post. By announcing his death in that way I aimed to:

A) Display how childish/simple it would be to make a bigger deal out of this than it needs to be, while at the same time accepting that people on here will go into a posting flurry at the news of a death. In fact, it may even be a bit of personal reflection/lamentation that I myself have posted quite excessively today due my childish excitement to this DL hit.

B ) Take a break from the intellectual fingerbanging that I've been doing all day to prepare for this weekend's Undergraduate Research Conference, hoping that certain pompous DLers might get off their high horse and be happy that information was succinctly relayed instead of being pretentious fools who think they're oh so witty making pithy commentary on the postings/grammar stylings of others on an online form.

Seriously, relax. Online pissing contests (especially the DL Grammar thread) are like the Special Olympics. Even if you win, you're still retarded. (Sorry, couldn't help it :P )

To paraphrase Samuel L. Jackson in the great film Pulp Fiction, I was in a good mood but you're seriously testing my patience! Let's just relax shall we, advice that I shall now try to heed myself.

To mindlessly post? Shouldn't that be to post mindlessly? Split infinitive? :)

To mindlessly post? Shouldn't that be to post mindlessly? Split infinitive? :P

Oooh, let the Grammarians chew on that. I'm not quite certain that that's a proper infinitive, split or otherwise. :)

regards,

Hein

Well it's good that the DL drought has finally been broken with its 5th graduate from the class of 2006. Hopefully we will be getting DL successes on a more regular basis.

rip Stanley Kunitz :P

We have a hit! A hit!

<sarcasm>

How truly palpable.

</sarcasm>

Seriously, relax. Online pissing contests (especially the DL Grammar thread) are like the Special Olympics. Even if you win, you're still retarded. (Sorry, couldn't help it :P )

To mindlessly post? Shouldn't that be to post mindlessly? Split infinitive? :)

Canadian Paul may be speaking about a concept I once told him. About passing through the doors of mindless reality.

Guest iain
We have a hit! A hit!

I'll be damned! Iain must be sooooo excited. :P

regards,

Hein

look slike I wont be resigning from the deathlist after all then!

We have a hit! A hit!

I'll be damned! Iain must be sooooo excited. :)

regards,

Hein

Not even if we pay you? :P

:)

We have a hit! A hit!

I'll be damned! Iain must be sooooo excited. :P

regards,

Hein

Not even if we pay you? :P

:)

He might hire somebody to retire you beyond your will. :)

Look. I hate to be the only one at a party not enjoying myself..... but Kunitz has NO UK obit yet. Not even one measly mention. So he's not a hit, yet then, surely? Or is Deathlist moving the goalposts as it sees fit?

Will he get one? I mean, honestly. Who the F**k is he? To me, Kunitz is as obscure as Rukeyser - and Rukeyser ain't going to get any DDP points. Kunitz hasn't had any coverage over here, some 24 hours after his death and why should he - he's an obscure US poet. Not even Monsters & Critics has reported it yet!!

Of course, if he doesn't end up getting a UK obit, and it means it's not a hit, then Iain will have to resign from deathlist after all.

Once there's a UK obit, great, fa la la la!

Just seems all of you are slapping yourselves on the back & awarding points, when the goal might be offside, as it were.

The same might go for Astor & Gallo in time to come...

We have a hit! A hit!

<sarcasm>

How truly palpable.

</sarcasm>

I was mocking a little known work of Fantasy, where a character, mindless and driven by the need to constantly be in battle, would yell out "A fray! A fray!" whenever he would enter a battle.

uh, CP, I think you'll find your character is yelling "Affray! Affray!"

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=affray

Chill, we'll get some good broadsheet obits over here. He's not that bloody obscure. Hell, I've got Robert Pirsig in my DDP and you don't hear conversations on buses about him very often. Still got a Wikipedia entry and likely to get the Guardian/Times/Telegraph treatment as and when he parks the zen motorbike for the last time though.