Death Watch Beatle

Muhammad Ali

Aye aye. Things are looking up for Deathlisters, but down for Ali.

Ali not doing so well

He hasn't been universally well-received as a DL candidate this year, but don't give up on him just yet!

DWB :P

He's one of the more popular picks for "keep on the list" in that thread too. I'd say given that and some recent articles, he should definitely be included on next year's list.

Plus it doesn't hurt that he's, you know, not boring.

Aye aye. Things are looking up for Deathlisters, but down for Ali.

Ali not doing so well

He hasn't been universally well-received as a DL candidate this year, but don't give up on him just yet!

DWB :banghead:

Words heeded, young man, but I do want to point out to everyone that the article in the link is from The Daily Mail, who adhere religiously to the old paper mantra of "when the legend is more interesting than reality, print the legend"

To use an example, they said Elizabeth Taylor was weeks from death earlier this year. Next thing we know, she's swimming with sharks :banghead:

Ali vs Lamotta; if only we could persuade them to get a rumble on for our DL convention. I doubt there's enough money on the planet to stage that scrap now.

Surely, I say again,,,,,SURELY Mohammed Ali is on his way out. Saw him resently on tv and he looked like death warmed up!!

[Topics merged - ff]

Edited by football_fan

So he's the Joltin Joe Dimmagio, Bret The Hitman Heart, of boxing. But I swear this guy was hit to many times. He throws punches when ever on camera.

Ali turns 65 tomorrow. It's strange how the press have picked up on this (is there a retirement age of 65 in America?). It's as if they know he will not reach 70..... :blink:

Ali turns 65 tomorrow. It's strange how the press have picked up on this (is there a retirement age of 65 in America?). It's as if they know he will not reach 70..... :blink:

Depending on your year of birth, "normal retirement age" is defined as somewhere between 65 and 67 by the Social Security Administration. However, people routinely work later than that. There is no mandatory retirement age in the country, although some companies still enforce one privately.

Birthday piece, that smells like the writer did a find-replace with the past tense. I wonder if these same quotes will come out, tweeked, when the bells tolls for his last round?

Ali sings a reasonable rendition of "Stand By Me". I even bought the album

huh? wha?... why is everyone looking me like I've grown another nose :crossbone:

Whe when the nig nigh nighttt has come

And the la land is dark

And the moon is the only ligh ligh light we'll see

No I won't be afrai afrai afraid, no I won't be afraid

Just as long as you sta stand, sta sta stand by me

And darlin', dar darlin lin', stand by me, oh now now sta stand by me

Stand by me, sta stand by me

Whe when the nig nigh nighttt has come

And the la land is dark

And the moon is the only ligh ligh light we'll see

No I won't be afrai afrai afraid, no I won't be afraid

Just as long as you sta stand, sta sta stand by me

And darlin', dar darlin lin', stand by me, oh now now sta stand by me

Stand by me, sta stand by me

hahahahaha :P:):D:D:D

Ali still delights a crowd

I think the DL did well to drop him for this year, as he's still getting out & about (say more than Ray Kennedy) & still seems to have some wits about him. After all, Jeremy Thorpe's still going strong & has had the disease longer, and is, of course, older. What I'm saying is Ali doesn't seem to have anything wrong with him bar his Parkinson's.

Same report, but with a picture. Also, Ali certainly looks robust & healthy looking in the face, not gaunt etc.

The following from National Enquirer:FIGHT THROWN? In his new memoir, God in My Corner, grillmaster extraordinaire and ex-heavyweight champ George Foreman implies some funny business may have been going on during his famous 1974 "Rumble in the Jungle" matchup with Muhammad Ali. As noted by the New York Post, Foreman writes his trainer gave him some foul-tasting water just before the fight. "I almost spit it out," writes the ex-boxer. " 'Man, I know this water has medicine in it,' " Foreman claims he told his trainer, who denied there was anything in the water.

But Foreman says he's convinced. "I climbed into the ring ... and after the third round, I was as tired as if I had fought 15 rounds. ... Did someone slip a drug in my water?" Ali knocked out Foreman in the eighth round of the Zaire fight.

Matters here - I guess - because if Ali had lost the fight his future career would have been shorter and less successful. In fact, he might have retired at that point. Maybe, shipping less punishment and keeping more of his marbles.

Then again who's gonna find evidence to back Foreman now?

The following from National Enquirer:FIGHT THROWN? In his new memoir, God in My Corner, grillmaster extraordinaire and ex-heavyweight champ George Foreman implies some funny business may have been going on during his famous 1974 "Rumble in the Jungle" matchup with Muhammad Ali. As noted by the New York Post, Foreman writes his trainer gave him some foul-tasting water just before the fight. "I almost spit it out," writes the ex-boxer. " 'Man, I know this water has medicine in it,' " Foreman claims he told his trainer, who denied there was anything in the water.

But Foreman says he's convinced. "I climbed into the ring ... and after the third round, I was as tired as if I had fought 15 rounds. ... Did someone slip a drug in my water?" Ali knocked out Foreman in the eighth round of the Zaire fight.

Matters here - I guess - because if Ali had lost the fight his future career would have been shorter and less successful. In fact, he might have retired at that point. Maybe, shipping less punishment and keeping more of his marbles.

Foul tasting water in Zaire in 1974? Never. Must have been poisoned.

Wasn't Foreman injured in the build-up to the fight, delaying it by a few weeks? Seems that's a more plausible reason for him not being at his best than his trainer (who would have every reason to want Foreman to win) spiking his drink.

George Foreman - The big baby.

Foul tasting water in Zaire in 1974? Never. Must have been poisoned.

Wasn't Foreman injured in the build-up to the fight, delaying it by a few weeks? Seems that's a more plausible reason for him not being at his best than his trainer (who would have every reason to want Foreman to win) spiking his drink.

George Foreman - The big baby.

Yeah, injured his hand but they put back the fight and the injury wasn't that serious. It was one hell of an upset. Then again, the presence of foul tasting water in Africa isn't exactly news. The obvious fixer and reason for fixing would be Don - trust him as far as you can throw him - King with an eye for the cash generated by a rematch after the big upset. Only that fight never happened, and if King had anything to do with it, it would've.

The apprentice at work (bless him), when asked who George Foreman was, replied that he was the cook off the TV adverts.

I rest my case.

DWB :(

The apprentice at work (bless him), when asked who George Foreman was, replied that he was the cook off the TV adverts.

I rest my case.

'I stand up'

Bravo! 'Clapping hands' what style.

I rest my case.

At least he didn't say 'that man who played the ukelele'.

As a quick aside, the George Foreman Grill was first offered to Hulk Hogan, who rejected it as he thought there was no money to be made... :(

As a quick aside, the George Foreman Grill was first offered to Hulk Hogan, who rejected it as he thought there was no money to be made... :(

Swings and roundabouts, mind. Anyone who reckons Hulk Hogan is a sh*t actor should check out Foreman's brief and embarrassing acting career. In a word; desperate.

Swings and roundabouts, mind. Anyone who reckons Hulk Hogan is a sh*t actor should check out Foreman's brief and embarrassing acting career. In a word; desperate.

As boxing is losing it's touch in this modern world UFC tournaments have become the ultimate entertainment.

If personalities like Foreman stepped into the ring I'm sure ratings would sky rocket. Fighters who name all there sons George, claim to have hit around women, try to have come back fights years after there prime and who become priests are the most electrifying candidates that you would like to see get hit in the face. UFC has the attitude, boxing has to find one.

If more drama came to the sport, it would make more money. No matter if you love it or hate it, that's life. We live in a business orientated world.