Grim Reaper

George Melly

Is anyone else going to the George Melly concert in London tonight?

Says: This may be his last concert on the poster, I'm guessing there's no tickets left now.

Guest Mellywatch
Is anyone else going to the George Melly concert in London tonight?

So was gorgeous George in fine form, Captain?

Our very own, Captain in disguise at concert.

So did you, notice anything out of the blue?

George performed splendidly! He sang three numbers seated in his wheel-chair, surrounded by carers, documentary-makers and Digby Fairweather's band. He's still a great blues singer.

img2028adu7.jpg

img2019apt6.jpg

img2069azq9.jpg

He looked frail but sounded in great spirits and talked to the audience between the numbers with a bit of prompting from his carers.

It was announced from the stage that it would, indeed, be his last concert. They may not have mentioned that to George, though.

This last pic, taken just as he left the stage, shows George with a woman (Edit: not Diana, as I had thought at first - she was wearing trousers) bending over him and a person whom I supposed to be a medical carer watching him anxiously.

I caught sight of him as he left the building about 30 minutes later, transported on what looked more like a bed than a chair, but looking fine, all things considered!

img2082agl7.jpg

It was quite plain that his caring team were very anxious to have the show run without any stress on George. They were prompting him as he talked, urging him not to ramble on. Before he appeared, Diana (his wife) even sold off all the raffle prizes for a single reasonable offer in order to hurry along the proceedings and not keep George waiting in the wings, lest he become tired.

A wonderful happy sad occasion.

And Paul Jones, who acted as compere for the evening, was fantastic on the harmonica!

Guest Mellywatch

Great stuff George, and a great bit of reportage from Captain Oates. Best post I've seen in ages.

Bravo.

Couple of years at the most I think.... ;)

Well done CO - fine spy work. ;)

But he looks awful - I only think it's the inside strength keeping him going because in the last picture especially he looks nothing like the George Melly we've come to know & love. But give him credit, still smoking, drinking & jazzing away.

I'd be suprised if he's alive in a couple of years myself, perhaps much less, MIB....

Indeed, an early contender for post of the year if only because - no insult intended to George on wheels - CO is walking the walk where most of us just talk. Incidentally, I'm promised phone contact this week with someone able to give me the inside track on Dickie O's will he/won't he come back and do a radio play. Doubt I'll get any up close photographs, mind.

My goodness he is barely recognisable.

What a shame as he used to be a larger than life character. And I agree with a previous poster, much less than two years. Will be surprised if he makes it to Christmas.

My goodness he is barely recognisable.

What a shame as he used to be a larger than life character. And I agree with a previous poster, much less than two years. Will be surprised if he makes it to Christmas.

Don't rule out Christmas, if his dementure speeds up his smoking and drinking will slow down, allowing them to intervene with more medication to stabilise him. I expect he could take the Lou Rawles position on DL 08, and probably a tonnage of points to put Ms Messner to shame in deadpools next year, or summat.

Thank you for your kind comments.

For me, the most noticeable indicator for DLers is the apparent weight-loss since this picture was taken in March of this year (link from CP). The accompanying article mentions how little George wants to eat.

If he loses a similar amount of weight in the next three months there won't be much of him left!

The documentary that was being made is planned to be shown in the autumn. I wonder if he'll live to see it?

...And I hope that I'm not in it! :)

I too was at Melly and Friends for Dementia at the 100 Club last Sunday. I've been going to see George for the past 35 yrs, and have recently read George and Diana's books which were both published last year so I was a bit prepared.

I went because although George's website optimistically says he's on a sellout tour this year he collapsed during a concert in February and from what Diana said on the radio a couple of Saturdays ago - it was probably going to be one of the last opportunities to witness George in action.

I was standing right at the front all night and was absolutely stunned when he was brought to the stage, he is tiny! His whisky suit, which Alan Yentob auctioned before he arrived, well the shoulders would have reached his elbows. Diana says that since the dementia has set in she finds it hard to get George to eat. "Last month he would eat a fish cake, this month it's a fish finger" and "Have you ever tried to scramble one egg!"

During the draw Diana was obviously concerned that things were dragging on, she wanted George to come to the stage because he wasn't too well, he has vascular dementia sometimes his condition is worse than others. George tried to talk to the audience but his voice is very weak and he began to ramble, Diana said to him, "George don't talk, sing".....but he wasn't really strong enough. I caught his eye a couple of times and they still have the twinkle in them, I hope he never loses that.

I thought Digby Fairweather and his half dozen were brilliant during George's time on stage, well they have been playing with George for many years, but it can't have been easy, after George had left the stage, I really needed the release of DF and the guys when Paul Jones joined them for a few numbers.

What an emotional night, I felt honoured to be amongst his family and friends, I'm wearing the T-shirt now! Goodtime George!

George Melly's son has claimed that his father is likely to die within the next two days.

As I'm sure you are aware, Melly's son actively writes about his father online. I was sent this link by a friend. If you scroll to the very bottom, you will see Tomandlu making this claim.

So it would appear that we are likely to have number three in as many days.

George Melly's son has claimed that his father is likely to die within the next two days.

As I'm sure you are aware, Melly's son actively writes about his father online. I was sent this link by a friend. If you scroll to the very bottom, you will see Tomandlu making this claim.

Looks as if it could be a WDP hit for me then! :)

That's really sad news.

I'm not doubting any of these claims but until an official statement comes out proving this claim, I'm not going to take it seriously. We'll see what happens.

Although it will be a DDP hit (and maybe some other hits too) for me, I echo Gwynhafyr's comments, and saying that I find this so immensely sad.

But his decline, his final decline that is, has been so rapid, I don't think we can be surprised. The George Melly who is ill now is not really the larger-than-life George Melly of yesteryear and for that his death can only be a blessing of sorts for the family.

Although it will be a DDP hit (and maybe some other hits too) for me, I echo Gwynhafyr's comments, and saying that I find this so immensely sad.

But his decline, his final decline that is, has been so rapid, I don't think we can be surprised. The George Melly who is ill now is not really the larger-than-life George Melly of yesteryear and for that his death can only be a blessing of sorts for the family.

I agree. Looking down the Festive Fifty, I'd rate George the top fella amongst 'em and the person I'd least like to see go, Dunn apart.

Plenty of other dislikable characters to cheer on, however.

George has probably only a couple of days to live, so please get some f*****g perspective. Tomandlu 21:58, 25 June 2007

Has the ring of sincerity I'd say. He's gonna beat Tammy Faye, not summat I'd have bet on.

I agree completely, and also note that he'll be a CPDP hit for you OoO, and several others, but only a DDP hit for myself.

As we've noted before though, the act of choosing or not choosing him has no effect on his death, especially one like George Melly whom I believe would have laughed.

So if his son was bang on the money, George is no more and tomorrow's news will tell us all. Anyone - like - heard owt?

So - roll on the drums - will he make July?