Grim Reaper

George Melly

oh well hopefully he can last out the year as I forgot to put him on any list <_<

I think there was a news report/article saying the same thing early last year, somewhere on this thread.

Ah yes, from June 19th last year, on this thread, with the link again.

So no change really from that article to this new one.

Once again, the BBC last with the news, only about 9 months late. :banghead:

I thought Melly had been demented for years :D

Article that summarizes Melly's conditions, including his spreading lung cancer, which he has refused to treat for two years. Bonus: a recent picture is included.

Article that summarizes Melly's conditions, including his spreading lung cancer, which he has refused to treat for two years. Bonus: a recent picture is included.

According to that article, he is booked to open the 'Surreallism: Surrealism and design' exhibition at the Victoria & Albert Museum on Thursday 29th March (not sure what time the opening is, though - they are selling tickets by half-hour slots!). I'm busy that day - can anyone else get along to that?

Sad also to learn George is off the 'gentleman's relish'. Things must be bad.

According to that article, he is booked to open the 'Surreallism: Surrealism and design' exhibition at the Victoria & Albert Museum on Thursday 29th March (not sure what time the opening is, though - they are selling tickets by half-hour slots!). I'm busy that day - can anyone else get along to that?

No, but I'll send my pet lobster along.

The tumour has spread to the other lung, but he doesn't seem breathless and he's not in pain. He takes aspirin and statins every day, and anti-depressants for general wellbeing. And he still insists on smoking 60 cigarettes a day..."

Bloody hell! The man is on our side!

No, but I'll send my pet lobster along.

Good idea! Lobsters are probably not prohibited from taking photographs inside the V&A.

Sad also to learn George is off the 'gentleman's relish'. Things must be bad.

I saw an article in the Mail on Sunday this weekend which told of the time when he passed his wife Diane in the street and didn't even recognise her. When she explained who he was he became very vocal asking passes by to save him from being kidnapped.

It is all very sad. No one should have to go through this.

He's got "early dementia" and all sorts of other health problems. Sounds promising.

Is it dementia in it's early stages or are they saying that he's of a youngish age for dementia to have set in?

The early stages of dementia

My 87 year old Grandad's going down that route, it's tragic watching him drift from 2007 to 1951 and back again in his conversations. He thinks they're paying him for his dialysis and he's on shift patterns for it. I've had my first encounter with Social Services through this and I must say all the negativity they get is well deserved!

I saw an article in the Mail on Sunday this weekend which told of the time when he passed his wife Diane in the street and didn't even recognise her. When she explained who he was he became very vocal asking passes by to save him from being kidnapped.

So true, I passed George Melly in the street once and he din't recognise me either. Obviously I avoided the kidnapping charge but it was a close run thing.

No one should have to go through this.

Except Robert Mugabe; might be quite handy if his marbles dropped to the point that he started babbling about where the bodies were buried and where he salted all the money away.

Spreading cancer isn't good, refusing to treat it isn't good, 60 cigarettes per day (no wonder he looks like hell), and being fat certainly doesn't help is odds either. I think Melly will be a goner in 2007.

No one should have to go through this.

Except Robert Mugabe; might be quite handy if his marbles dropped to the point that he started babbling about where the bodies were buried and where he salted all the money away.

Well obviously there are going to be exceptions. I can think of a few myself. :D

So true, I passed George Melly in the street once and he din't recognise me either. Obviously I avoided the kidnapping charge but it was a close run thing.

Lol! Yes very droll. :D

Article also linked to the Wiki Sucks thread. Melly's son Tom appears approachable. Wonder if he'd post on this thread.

An article in today's Daily Mail about George Melly.

He says:

"Senility is very undignified. I don’t want to become an old vegetable leaking at both ends, but my doctor has told me lung cancer will kill me first."

His doctor says:

"He’s had a good two years. Although he is losing weight, he is eating well. He is still gigging, although I have suggested he doesn’t take any bookings after July"

The website that purports (dubiously) to be the "official" George Melly site has brightened (if not smartened) its act somewhat.

It is now advertising a Testimonial Concert for George and the 100 Club in Oxford Street, London on 10th June 2007.

The links lead to a dead end (!) but if you're keen to attend I suspect that tickets will be selling fast.

The bi - sexual blues man Melly seems to be a classic example of one who tries to make a joke of his cancer and doesn't take much to seriously. It could be a good plan considering his options 'Something like 'Art Buchwald' and as some might disagree I wouldn't be surprised if he went sometime this year.

Looks like its a race to the exit door for Melly and Tammy Faye!

Tammy is running ... she is running

To that door.

Tammy is running ... she is running

To that door.

My money (G Melly concert ticket money, that is) is on Tammy Faye getting there fastest. George is still making public appearances and apparently still enjoys performing despite an increasingly reclusive life.

His doctor has suggested that he stop taking engagements after July, as stated by DDT, but this guy is a not going to give up easily and could hang on beyond our expectations. He clearly is making the most of whatever is left to him - 40 ciggies each day and another 20 at night; surely an eminently practical approach to lung cancer!

Only a senior moment as he steps out into the road could get George to the door first. She's well down the finishing strait as he starts the last lap, or summat. Mixing a couple of metaphors,but you get the drift, eh?

Only a senior moment as he steps out into the road could get George to the door first. She's well down the finishing strait as he starts the last lap, or summat. Mixing a couple of metaphors,but you get the drift, eh?

George makes the turn and is running out of breath, Tammy is coughing, George falls - and breaks his leg.

Long far away short near by

A hand is to be raised'

George makes the turn and is running out of breath, Tammy is coughing, George falls - and breaks his leg.

Long far away short near by

A hand is to be raised'

From my reading of various recent articles, I don't think they let GM out alone these days - but he sleeps on the second floor - that's a lot of stairs!

I wonder if James is one of us?

He has provided an unsolicited health check on George and news of a BBC documentary.

Another Melly article, BBC this time.