Godot

Mollie Sugden et al

Lynne Perrie, sister of Duggie Brown. Now whatever happened to him?

Whatever happened to Lynne Perrie for that matter? Haven't seen her around for a while.

• Like 1

As a former Leeds MP Merlyn-Rees is quite likely to have known Mollie Sugden. The only web-based links I can find between her and Ariel Sharon are various death pools. No surprises there then.

Just noticed that Mollie Sugden once played opposite Cyril Smith (but probably not the MP)

http://www.phill.co.uk/comedy/hugh/

I would like to bet if you subjected Mollie Sugden to the six degrees of separation test she would feature quite highly. Rod Steiger used to be the best connected and Donald Pleasance the next best among Hollywood actors before they died. Don't know who it is today.

In fact have just put Mollie through the Kevin Bacon process and I see she comes up with a Bacon number of 3 which isn't bad.

Oracle of Bacon

Hey Dildo, since you clearly have an interest in old sitcoms I have been rummiging among the drawers and dragged out this Mollie Sugden thread just for you. Lots of stuff here about Grace brothers etc.

The Idea of uniting Mollie Sugden with Mother Teresa's Dildo is strangely appealing.

I don't suppose you have any news on her by any chance?

This is so weird Frodo....you just mentioned this thread somewhere else. and now heeere it is. Whats the oddittys of that happening?

This is so weird Frodo....you just mentioned this thread somewhere else. and now heeere it is. Whats the oddittys of that happening?

No coincidence, Dildo was showing interest in Inman etc so that was all the excuse I needed. Mollie's been a nice little sleeper. I know she's there just waiting to be resurrected now and then, like the real Mollie I suppose.

Meanwhile Mollie's uncontroversial little thread is snugly tucked away in obscurity where I can happily muse away to myself and wonder what's been happening in the 24-hours since I've been away. A Wickipedia entry has come and gone and Richard O'Sullivan has become a non-person for reasons that are not yet entirely clear to me. I note there is still confusion over the non-status of moderaters whose name really should be adjusted to Oompaloompas for the sake of accuracy and clarification.

I cannot read the mind of a moderator but I would trace back concerns possibly to MPFC's request that the thread be sustained artificially to maintain RO near the top with any old banter. Maybe the joke wore a bit thin, particularly if posts were getting near the knuckle. Was it a legal concern? My guess is that it had something to do with taste, a modertor's demand for, well, some moderation.

I hope, however, some leeway might be extended to BHB and Hackenslash whose posts on the whole I find most amusing, often spiky, sometimes a bit vulgar but usually spiced with originality (little hack phrase that). Maybe the old Dicky O thread could be published in paperback.

If only I had something new to say about Mollie, except that she's alive and sitting by the telephone.

Guest Himler

What?

Meanwhile Mollie's uncontroversial little thread is snugly tucked away in obscurity where I can happily muse away to myself and wonder what's been happening in the 24-hours since I've been away. A Wickipedia entry has come and gone and Richard O'Sullivan has become a non-person for reasons that are not yet entirely clear to me. I note there is still confusion over the non-status of moderaters whose name really should be adjusted to Oompahloompahs for the sake of accuracy and clarification.

I cannot read the mind of a moderator but I would trace back concerns possibly to MPFC's request that the thread be sustained artificially to maintain RO near the top with any old banter. Maybe the joke wore a bit thin, particularly if posts were getting near the knuckle. Was it a legal concern? My guess is that it had something to do with taste, a modertor's demand for, well, some moderation.

I hope, however, some leeway might be extended to BHB and Hackenslash whose posts on the whole I find most amusing, often spiky, sometimes a bit vulgar but usually spiced with originality (little hack phrase that). Maybe the old Dicky O thread could be published in paperback.

If only I had something new to say about Mollie, except that she's alive and sitting by the telephone.

Why, thank you, sir... your praise makes me blush, but feel wanted & that is all a man can want these days.

Apart from those tuna sandwiches.

Oh, and the Dicky O thread reopened!

Well done, just had a catch up and thought that while there was much locker room humour it wasn't too bad; thought the hairy back pic was quite good and that of the Mills sisters interesting. I wish I'd seen one so recent of Mollie.

This is the internet after all and nothing worse than might appear any fortnight in Private Eye. Nothing wrong with deathlisters having fun at everyone else's expense, I say.

Well done, just had a catch up and thought that while there was much locker room humour it wasn't too bad; thought the hairy back pic was quite good and that of the Mills sisters interesting. I wish I'd seen one so recent of Mollie.

This is the internet after all and nothing worse than might appear any fortnight in Private Eye. Nothing wrong with deathlisters having fun at everyone else's expense, I say.

We thank you for your continued support...

Hear, hear.

And I hope no-one has failed to notice the irony of complaints about bawdy humour from people who administrate a site full of people waiting for other people to die...

Also irony among some of the complainers, a lot of pot calling kettle there. This is a different level of behaviour than that of Toke whatsitsname. A bit of barrack room banter, no more. On the other hand, I didn't set up this site so I guess it's a bit like being in a pub when the landlord threatens to chuck you out for being a bit rowdy. In fact that's just what it was like in the old Fleet Street days when you could sit in the Golf Club until something happened.

I wish it was a real pub. In which case, it's not my round.

Also irony among some of the complainers, a lot of pot calling kettle there. This is a different level of behaviour than that of Toke whatsitsname. A bit of barrack room banter, no more. On the other hand, I didn't set up this site so I guess it's a bit like being in a pub when the landlord threatens to chuck you out for being a bit rowdy. In fact that's just what it was like in the old Fleet Street days when you could sit in the Golf Club until something happened.

I wish it was a real pub. In which case, it's not my round.

Ah for the old Fleet Street days.

The Vine Press isn't what is was.

And El Vino's is full of lawyers.

I think I've asked this before but wasn't Mollie once mistakenly reported as dead in the media? Anyone know?

I think I've asked this before but wasn't Mollie once mistakenly reported as dead in the media? Anyone know?

It mentions that rumour here:

http://dpsinfo.com/dps/rumors.html

My biggest saddness is that I cannot find a single mention anywhere of Mollie Sugden that would enable me to resurrect her thread. So Mollie is adrift someowere in the sea of barely remembered souls.

Who needs a reason to revive Mollie.

At least her work on "Are you being served?" is still funny,

Review

"It's a wonder I'm here at all. My pussy got soaking wet. I had to dry it out in front of the fire before I left." - Mollie Sugden as Mrs. Slocombe, TV gold IMO.

Unlike Dickie O's mediocre "Man About the House", shite,

review

TF, you're a gent. A prolific-posting oompahloompa gent, but a gent nonetheless. I thank you.

My biggest saddness is that I cannot find a single mention anywhere of Mollie Sugden that would enable me to resurrect her thread. So Mollie is adrift someowere in the sea of barely remembered souls.

Who needs a reason to revive Mollie.

At least her work on "Are you being served?" is still funny,

Review

"It's a wonder I'm here at all. My pussy got soaking wet. I had to dry it out in front of the fire before I left." - Mollie Sugden as Mrs. Slocombe, TV gold IMO.

Unlike Dickie O's mediocre "Man About the House", shite,

review

No, Dicky never had to resort to smut in order to get a laugh.

Quite possibly the last gentleman comic, lol.

Talking of Are You Being Served, got the film version DVD with the Sun last week & am looking forward to watching it. As I am Till Death Us Do Part, which they gave away yesterday. Ah, Alf Garnett, a true comedy legend.

I suspect that Are You Being Served is funnier now than it was at the time since gay humour has gone mainstream and most of today's sitcoms are crap. At the time it was up against much better stuff such as Dad's Army and 'Till Death. I think Warren Mitchell could be a dark horse for the deathlist. I have been hoping an Oz-based deathlister might have some gen on him. Hugh Lloyd must be doddering around there somewhere, maybe in Brinsworth House, who knows?

I suspect that Are You Being Served is funnier now than it was at the time since gay humour has gone mainstream and most of today's sitcoms are crap. At the time it was up against much better stuff such as Dad's Army and 'Till Death. I think Warren Mitchell could be a dark horse for the deathlist. I have been hoping an Oz-based deathlister might have some gen on him. Hugh Lloyd must be doddering around there somewhere, maybe in Brinsworth House, who knows?

Hugh Lloyd was in the last series of Doc Marten (he was the old codger with the dead bird in his handbag...gripping plot...)

He didn't look to bad to me for a man of his age.

Missed that. This place is about the nearest thing I get to TV these days apart from watching boxed sets of West Wing. I met Davina McColl last year, had never heard of her but loads of people were sucking up to her, can't stand that sort of thing. Now I see she's been given a chat show. I wish the deathlist would pander less to celebrity, but what can you do? At least the Deathlist does have some breadth. Sugden and Sallis are real people not like the nonces you see shimmying in and out of the gossip columns. I regret that Alan Bennett never chose Mollie for one of his monologues. I think she is as good as Thora Hird.

Ground floor: perfumery

stationery and leather goods

wigs and haberdashery

kitchenware and food. Going up!

First floor: telephones

gents ready-made suits

shirts, socks, ties, hats

underwear and shoes. Going up!

Second floor: carpets

travel goods and bedding

material, soft furnishings,

restaurant and teas. Going down!

First floor: telephones

gents ready-made suits

shirts, socks, ties, hats

underwear and shoes. Going down!

I never realised before doing a trawl of the web that this cash-register theme tune of Are You being Served pre-dated Pink Floyd's Money by two years. Did PF plagiarise it I wonder?

nonononononono.... are you being served has lost its humour now that graham norton is everywhere! what made it funny was that it was completely under the arm. now it just looks desperate. mind you, that's taste for you. i like MATH more now than when i was a kid because it doesn't rely on camp so much. (and because i have strange yearnings for yootha joyce that may be about me hitting 40)

camp WAS wonderful, and now it's just everywher and so becomes devalued and dull - i mean, when is the aforementioned graham norton (who was good guesting in father ted) going to get a joke OTHER than 'hello i'm gay'? matt lucas' daffydd works because it has the layers of a)daffydd ISN'T gay, and b)lucas IS.

having said that, mollie is one of those actors who get under-rated because they spend so much of their careers in shite to pay the rent. it's a bit like peter cushing - i like crappy old horror movies, but in truth he always shines above the level of the material and, unlike christopher lee, never gives the impression of slumming it.

truth of the matter is that when it comes to old sit-com actors, all you have to do is keep an eye on the soaps and last of the summer wine. if they turn up there then they're still going. if they leave, order the wreath...

still, saw graham stark and hugh lloyd on a hancock doc a little while back, made last year, and they looked pretty spry for their ages.

• Like 1