Godot

Mollie Sugden et al

Graham Stark, forgotten him, thought he was good in the Pink Panther films. This Youtha Joyce thing is odd. I think she has a certain sexiness too, a bit like Allison Janney in West Wing, although Janney is the real thing. I would love to have seen Sugden in a serious part but she was too type cast as the snooty comedy foil.

• Like 1

The thing about camp humour going mainstream in the UK is also true. I haven't seen an AYBS for a long time but can see why it went down well in the US where American audiences get so involved in their sitcoms. I hate the way they begin to relate to story themes and applaud certain situations rather than laugh at them.

[

Hugh Lloyd was in the last series of Doc Martin (he was the old codger with the dead bird in his handbag...gripping plot...)

He didn't look to bad to me for a man of his age.

He was on "My Family" again tonight. Apart from being quite a fat chap, he looks robust enough. But compared to co-stars Rosemary Leach (80) & Trevor Baxter (73), he looked a lot older, and I don't think that was simply as he was supposed to be playing an older person than the other two.

[

Hugh Lloyd was in the last series of Doc Martin (he was the old codger with the dead bird in his handbag...gripping plot...)

He didn't look to bad to me for a man of his age.

He was on "My Family" again tonight. Apart from being quite a fat chap, he looks robust enough. But compared to co-stars Rosemary Leach (80) & Trevor Baxter (73), he looked a lot older, and I don't think that was simply as he was supposed to be playing an older person than the other two.

I have a lot of affection for Hugh Lloyd.

Just last night I was playing one of my Hancock DVD's and there he was, as insipid as ever.

I can't help it, I just have this great fondness for actors who are famous and recognisable, but have never themselves starred in any telly series or films. I'm talking head billing here. The likes of John Le Mesurier...known by most, but never the main star (unchecked and I await correction).

Irene Handl was another one...a jobbing actress familiar to millions for her 'middle aged' lady parts.

Lady parts as in roles played by a lady, as against her 'naughty hedge.'*

*Copyright TLC...once he has defeated claims of plagiarism, Dan Brown style, by Viz's Roger's Profanisaurus.

Oh, there is no point in this post whatsoever, other than the announcement that I have a great affection for Hugh Lloyd.

Or did I already mention that?

Shame he's ended up in the BBC's Friday night lame comedy slot that only features comedies with titles prefixed by 'My' though.

Why did those italics not work? :banghead:

Fixed, the [/i] was before the . Should have been then [fwd slash i]

Edited by heaven can wait

Lady parts as in roles played by a lady, as against her 'naughty hedge.'*

*Copyright TLC...once he has defeated claims of plagiarism, Dan Brown style, by Viz's Roger's Profanisaurus.

I don't think I made the above phrase up, but I don't recall it in Viz or the Profanisaurus either.*

Then again, I have read Viz on and off for about 20 years (less as time goes on, not as funny as it used to be etc.), so who knows?

*I'll update this in the highly unlikely event that I ever bother to check it out...

I've been thinking a lot about Mollie lately since Fred Trueman died. She too is secreted away in the Isle of Man, yet another for our Isle of Man correspondent. It's not much of a place. A discreet ad in the Isle of Man Examiner might flush her out: Are You Being Served Reunion seeks former cast members etc etc.

I've been thinking a lot about Mollie lately...

What kind of thoughts might these be?

The kind that Mrs Godot would disapprove of?

I've been thinking a lot about Mollie lately...

What kind of thoughts might these be?

The kind that Mrs Godot would disapprove of?

I've been imagining the circumstances of Mollie's life, what kind of curtains she has, whether she lives alone. Is there a hubby on hand? Does she have a help? Does she go to the women's insititute or does she play online poker? What would she make of "Only fools on horses"? I looked at the paper and thought it was re-runs of the sitcom until Mrs G corrected me. Does Mollie get offers (TV I mean)? Or is she fading in to that nether world to which so many of these people retreat, where only the DL really bothers to retain some interest. I sometimes think the DL is like a forum version of Meals and Wheels.

I sometimes think the DL is like a forum version of Meals and Wheels.

You mean they feed our desire for old, ill and dying celebrities?

Or we are the only ones who 'care' about them?

I've been imagining the circumstances of Mollie's life, what kind of curtains she has, whether she lives alone. Is there a hubby on hand? Does she have a help? Does she go to the women's insititute or does she play online poker? What would she make of "Only fools on horses"? I looked at the paper and thought it was re-runs of the sitcom until Mrs G corrected me. Does Mollie get offers (TV I mean)? Or is she fading in to that nether world to which so many of these people retreat, where only the DL really bothers to retain some interest. I sometimes think the DL is like a forum version of Meals and Wheels.

You sound a tad fixated Godot, you could always contact Mollie via her agent, I'm sure she'd pass on your enquiries,

JOAN REDDIN

Hazel Cottage, Frogg's Island, Wheeler End, Bucks HP14 3NL

Telephone: 01494 882729

Like a lot of elderly ladies, Mollie may well enjoy stroking and playing with her pussy, it's probably a great comfort to her.

I sometimes think the DL is like a forum version of Meals and Wheels.

we are the only ones who 'care' about them?

Yes, that. Also have been doing some searching under her married name - Mollie Moore - and find her listed under the Isle of Man Anti-cancer Association.

Additionally I found this excellent recipe, which I would get Mrs G to make on Mollie's 84th birthday - July 21 - except I might not be around that day.

RECIPE FROM THE KITCHEN OF MOLLIE SUGDEN

Lemon Meringue Pie

Mollie says her late husband William Moore married her for this pie!

Ingredients

10 oz. caster sugar (superfine)

Pinch of salt

3 eggs

½ lb. butter

1½ oz. cornflour (cornstarch)

Juice and rind of one lemon

½ pint boiling water

Preparation

Line two 8-inch flan tins with shortcrust pastry. Prick all over with a fork and bake blind*.

Beat the yolks of the eggs with cornflour, salt, 6 oz. of the sugar and the rind and juice of the lemon and mix thoroughly.

Pour on the boiling water, stirring all the time, then put into a saucepan and cook gently for a few minutes. Stir in the butter until it is melted and combined, then pour into

the pastry cases.

For the meringue, beat the whites of eggs with 4 oz. of the sugar and spread over the top of the lemon pies leaving it in fairly rough peaks. Then bake in a moderate oven (350º)

until slightly brown.

*Bake blind: baking an unfilled pastry crust by weighting it with rice, beans, baking beads, etc., to keep the crust from shrinking.

I've only recently discovered she lives on the Isle of Man. I've never seen her and nor has anyone I know which is odd as normally at least one person. Makes me think either she doesn't live here or she's housebound. I'll see what I can find out

Since it's Yorkshire day I thought it would be worthwhile reminding fellow deathlister's that Mollie is from Keighley.

I wonder who will be the next Yorkshire notable to "catch thy death o' cold" on Ilkley Moor without a hat:

Arthur Scargill? Dickie Bird? Harvey Smith? Geoff Boycott? Mike Parkinson? Jeremy Clarksoff? Stan Bairstow? Brian Blessed? Keith Waterhouse? Betty Boothroyd? Denis Healey? Don Mosey? Jimmy Saville? Brian Close? Roy Hattersley? Norman Collier?

I've only recently discovered she lives on the Isle of Man. I've never seen her and nor has anyone I know which is odd as normally at least one person. Makes me think either she doesn't live here or she's housebound. I'll see what I can find out

Since I'm very bored I've looked up to discover that Mollie doesn't live on the Isle of Man

The Indy, 11 March 2000

Today the Bay Queen is boarded up. The tourists have stopped coming. Even actress Mollie Sugden, who used to visit Port Saint Mary every summer, hasn't been seen for a good few years. A scheme to turn the Bay Queen into retirement flats has been stalled by the island's extremely tight planning regulations, aimed at protecting a stunning natural landscape that has provided a backdrop for countless films from The Wicker Man to Waking Ned.

She appears to live in Pudsey, West Yorkshire [unless this is another Mollie Sugden (and I've got it with the middle initial E, which doesn't make sense... (Mollie was born Mary I Sugden))]. As ever, I may well be wrong.

She appears to live in Pudsey, West Yorkshire [unless this is another Mollie Sugden (and I've got it with the middle initial E, which doesn't make sense... (Mollie was born Mary I Sugden))]. As ever, I may well be wrong.

But then there's a Mollie Moore and William Moore noted together in Solihull for 23 years (7 of which with a Stephen Moore -- does that make sense?). So maybe that's that.

Anyway, I'll stop post-whoring for today before my warning thing shoots up. :blink:

And I should have better things -- like sniffing glue -- to do than try to find old ladies online :unsure:

Now here's a teaser, since this is the 'forgotten sitcoms thread' is there any sitcom we've all forgotten, and, if so, how would we know since no-one would remember?

Two I remember existed and can't recall anything much about:

The Train Now Standing

The Dustbinmen (though I do remember this was such shite even the - erm - progress class at school thought it brainless.

Now here's a teaser, since this is the 'forgotten sitcoms thread' is there any sitcom we've all forgotten, and, if so, how would we know since no-one would remember?

Two I remember existed and can't recall anything much about:

The Train Now Standing

The Dustbinmen (though I do remember this was such shite even the - erm - progress class at school thought it brainless.

All I remember of the latter is a character called 'Cheese and Egg'. It wasn't funny.

Who remembers 'All Gas and Gaiters'? A clerical comedy with William Mervyn and Robertson Hare (plus points) and Derek Nimmo (minus point). I was rather fond of that.

The dear departed Jon Barron - 'I didn't get where I am today... - Barron was in All Gas and Gaiters, not that I remember it. What a stupid idea, a sitcom based around the church, it'll never catch on.

The dear departed Jon Barron - 'I didn't get where I am today... - Barron was in All Gas and Gaiters, not that I remember it. What a stupid idea, a sitcom based around the church, it'll never catch on.

I didn't reemember that he was in it and didn't know he was dead. Two snippts for the price of one MPFC. A bargain.

John Barrons dead? :dead:

indeed he is dead, he passed away on July 3rd 2004

What about the Clitheroe kid? James Casey who produced and co-wrote it may still be alive.

• Like 1

indeed he is dead, he passed away on July 3rd 2004

I really thought he was still alive. Phew, just as well I never included him in my dead pool, how embarrassing that would have been, mind you, I have a disclaimer in my rules :)