maryportfuncity

Dead Pop Stars

Hello BS, you came back then? Oh, but of course, you never really went away <_<

Fritz Fryer guitarist with "The Four Pennies" has died aged 63.

"They found their greatest success with ballads like "Juliet," which Fritz co-wrote with Mike Wilsh, and knocked the Searchers from the top of the charts in the spring of 1964"

Even the most obscure deserve a little mention of their passing on the DL, two weeks late or not. Guys n gals, I give you Clive Scott, member of 70s band Jigsaw and co-writer of two MOR monsters - Sky High, with its positively Wagnerian intro, and the Saint Etienne-covered

If the keyboard player from Sherbet or Pilot's bassist should kick the bucket I'll be sure to let you know.

And now, Bachman Turner Overdrive...

I apologise in advance if there's a rap music thread, but this fella Dolla's been shot dead in a mall in LA.

Pity, he was twice as good as 50cent.

Bigger pity, I saw 'Dollar' at first and thought it meant David Van Day!

Bret Michaels is still very much alive, but I thought I'd share with you what happened to him at the Tony awards recently, as it's quite amusing! Check out the video on the page:

Bret Michaels doesn't quite time his exit

This is one my musical knowledge can't quite pin down. Way back when - 70s or 80s I think - there was a story that a German rock guitarist, playing heavy metal or similar, had dived off stage into the sparse crowd only to hit the floor, writh in agony and die, mainly because nobody had even tried to catch him. I know I read it in a book somewhere but I've just scoured Dave Thompson's excellent 'Better to Burn Out' without finding the story.

Can anyone put a name or date to the story so I can Google it?

This is one my musical knowledge can't quite pin down. Way back when - 70s or 80s I think - there was a story that a German rock guitarist, playing heavy metal or similar, had dived off stage into the sparse crowd only to hit the floor, writh in agony and die, mainly because nobody had even tried to catch him. I know I read it in a book somewhere but I've just scoured Dave Thompson's excellent 'Better to Burn Out' without finding the story.

Don't know about any German but there was this guy from the NME tour.

His dad was my sister's history teacher at our upper school.

WOW! Bet you're still dining out on that one!

And now his son is history, arf!

I don't know about any German, but it seems Wilco's Jay Bennet (see above) died from an overdose of painkillers he was taking as a result of a stage-diving accident.

Drake Levin, lead guitarist of the improbably-attired Paul Revere & the Raiders, has died of cancer at 62.

I remember how pleased I was at learning how to play

on the old Ricky 360 in my yoof. It reminds me of a very drunken evening in Eau Claire, Wisconsin ... but we won't go into that right now.

* In no way do I endorse the sentiments espoused in this number.

Renato of 'Rene and Renato' and also 'Just One Cornetto' fame has died at the age of 66.

Billy Lee Riley, 75 and apparently still active. Gigs page for 2009 won't load though.

Suffering from stage 4 bone cancer. You'd have to check with Dr DDT, but I'm guessing that's not good.

Brit obit? Doubtful, I'd imagine.

Don't bet against the Brit obit, a seminal and mucho under-rated figure, therefore highly popular with anorak music journalists. He had the right mates at the right time, recorded for Sun in the fifties and his band were an unofficial house band for some Sun acts.

The Sun has set on Billy. Let's see if he gets that obit, not that it really matters.

Renato of 'Rene and Renato' and also 'Just One Cornetto' fame has died at the age of 66.

A sad day indeed. He was the Prince of Pop.

A sad day indeed. He was the Prince of Pop/ a Fat Brummie chancer.

A sad day indeed. He was the Prince of Pop/ a Fat Brummie Villa chancer.

Told yers it could happen.....

Guardian did Billy Lee on Monday