maryportfuncity

Dead Pop Stars

Bobbie Smith (aka Bobby Smith)

One of the founding members of the (Detroit) Spinners has died aged 76.

Damn!

Motown stars dying in rapid succession.

Could have sworn I posted about Jason Molina, of early 00s buzzband Songs: Ohia, and his medical problems on this thread last year. Maybe I kept quiet because I wanted him as a pick. Doesn't matter anyway, because he's dead.

That's a sad one for me, buzzband or no, up there with Linkous and Jay Bennett - I know the booze was hardly forced down his neck but it's still a sad indictment of the US medical insurance situation. Saw him/them a few times and had a chat at a particularly good gig at Bush Hall. Maryport, please bump those losers Winterset from your next excellent playlist and make room for a Molina track if you would, perhaps something from the best Neil Young album not made by Neil Young...

Eddie Bond has died at the age of 79

Floyd 'Buddy McRea, last surviving original member of The Chords, of
fame, died Tuesday aged 'about 80'.

Larry Robinson former guitarist for The Things To Come died of his injuries sustained during a robbery at the guitar shop where he worked. He was 64.

Pete Banks

Guitarist and founding member of "Yes" dead at 65. Also credited with coming up with the band's name, having up until then been called "Mabel Greer's Toyshop". Q: "Can anyone think of a better name?" A: "Yes".

In a similar vein, The High Numbers underwent a rebranding after they struggled to find fame and got sick of promoters asking 'The Who?' on hearing the unfamiliar name...

(Wikipedia has a different story, but i'm sure i read this version in a Townshend interview or in the sleeve notes to '30 years maximum RnB', so i'm sticking with it...)

Rockabilly star Eddie Bond dead from Altzheimer's desease.

Beat you to it by 4 days :)

shyte...

Might be suffering from Altzheimer myself.

Motown song-writer Deke Richards becomes the latest victim of the Motown curse...

http://www.billboard...e-richards-dies

I'm beginning to think a thread dedicated purely to Motown acts may be appropriate... You Don't Keep Me Hanging On perhaps?

I'll second that. Or maybe soul music.

Trivia bonus, he died on Diana Ross' birthday.

Gordon Stoker, one of the members of the Jordanaires, died at the are of 88. Surely one of the oldest alumni of this thread. The Jordanaires began as a Gospel group but were also know as the backing vocals of that other King, Elvis Presley.

I don't recall this at the time, & have searched for it on here |& on the DDP site...Hot Gossip singer/dancer Trudy Beth Watson topped herself last September.

http://www.thisistotalessex.co.uk/Hot-Gossip-girl-hanged-self-court-rules/story-18543344-detail/story.html#axzz2Osi1eW9M

Some smart Alec will go & find this now...

Guess she never got over losing her heart to a starship trooper...

Gordon Stoker, one of the members of the Jordanaires, died at the are of 88. Surely one of the oldest alumni of this thread. The Jordanaires began as a Gospel group but were also know as the backing vocals of that other King, Elvis Presley.

Already posted in the Elvis Presley thread 3 days ago

I don't recall this at the time, & have searched for it on here |& on the DDP site...Hot Gossip singer/dancer Trudy Beth Watson topped herself last September.

http://www.thisistot...l#axzz2Osi1eW9M

Some smart Alec will go & find this now...

Guess she never got over losing her heart to a starship trooper...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wwilCs4Jqg

In happier times. Not sure which one she is but they're dancing with torches. Torches.

I don't think this will count as a dead pop star but many of the pop, rock and metal stars owe him a lot. His name will ring a name with a lot of you. He's Robert Zildjian, son of the founder of Zildjian cymbals and a founder of his own company Sabian Symbals, the second biggest name in this field after the company his father founded.

I don't think this will count as a dead pop star but many of the pop, rock and metal stars owe him a lot. His name will ring a name with a lot of you. He's Robert Zildjian, son of the founder of Zildjian cymbals and a founder of his own company Sabian Symbals, the second biggest name in this field after the company his father founded.

Pretty sure he's already been mentioned...

Mentioned here 4 days ago. News really travels slowly in your neck of the woods, eh?

Tom Lehrer (satirical singer and likely to appeal to some hereabouts), was celebrated on Radio Four this morning on the occasion of his 85th birthday. Recently interviewed and he sounded in fine form. Thought I'd share it with the group anyway.

Tom Lehrer (satirical singer and likely to appeal to some hereabouts), was celebrated on Radio Four this morning on the occasion of his 85th birthday. Recently interviewed and he sounded in fine form. Thought I'd share it with the group anyway.

We'll all go together when he goes.

We'll all go together when he goes.

I had no idea it was his birthday next week, but something compelled me to put a cd of his music in the car to play some time in the next few days. Also have an album of Lord Buckley to play too, but he's long since left us.