maryportfuncity

Dead Pop Stars

Sharon Jones

Probably not well know enough to get a UK Obit, but Sharon Jones of Sharon Jones & the Dap-Kings has postponed the release of her next album and tour to undergo surgery for early stage Bile Duct Cancer.

Could well get the obit through the Amy Winehouse connection. However, isn't that the cancer that saw off Ray Manzarek ? I gather he had it for several years so it could take a while ....

Just had the press release through for The Dap Kings (much-delayed) new album. Says that Sharon is undergoing "ongoing treatment" after "successful surgery". No tour dates announced and the video for the lead single doesn't feature her at all...

Guest Guest

never heard of him

never heard of him

Please can you list all the people you have heard of so that we know only to post their deaths?

• Like 6

Noel Harrison, at 79. Son of Rex 'Dr Dolittle' Harrison. Of a heart attack following a gig at the Black Dog Village Hall - that's DDT's neck of the woods, I believe.

I nearly put him in the Brel Jelly Jewellery thread. Or the winter Olympics thread.

I love that "Windmills" song! Fuck. RIP

• Like 1

Latest on Anastacia's battle against cancer

With her and TheBig Yin claiming successfull treatment who are going to be 2014's Bernie Nolan and Hugo Chavez?

Michael York and Casey Kasem both look like promising prospects (though not from their doctors' point of view - unless they happen to be closet Deadpoolers)

With her and TheBig Yin claiming successfull treatment who are going to be 2014's Bernie Nolan and Hugo Chavez?

Michael York and Casey Kasem both look like promising prospects (though not from their doctors' point of view - unless they happen to be closet Deadpoolers)

Hmm, makes me wonder: are there any real life medical doctors on this forum? I'm not aware of one, but I wouldn't be surprised to learn that one or two wander by, among the guests. Or would a Real Doctor be much too busy keeping death away to be much interested in our ghoulish little game?

regards,

Hein

Maybe not Michael York

Colin Cooper, the lead singer of the hit UK band Climax Blues Band has died of cancer at the age of 68.

http://www.thisisthesentinel.co.uk/display...;pNodeId=158324

Not familar with the singer's name, but I have actually listened to some of the band's songs. They're a great group--a blast from the past.

The mighty Staffordshire Newsletter, with some slightly dodgy spelling, informs us that founder/guitarist/vocalist Pete Haycock has also reached a climax (sorry, best I could think of at short notice).

Let's have a bit of 70s honky funk, shall we?

Iranian indie rock act The Yellow Dogs would no doubt be delighted at the international attention their band is currently getting, sadly three of them won't be around to share in the royalties their increased Spotify plays will bring in.

http://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/20131111/east-williamsburg/enraged-musician-kills-bandmates-williamsburg-police-reports-say

I don't know where to post, so because he was also a (Schlager-) singer, I'll post it here:

The most famous Englishman on German television has died: Chris Howland, singer, actor, TV host/presenter.

http://westernboothill.blogspot.de/2013/12/rip-chris-howland.html

He never was that famous in his home country, but in Germany he was a TV personality and he had 10 Top 40 hits including 3 Top10 hits:

1958 "Fraulein" No.3

1959 "Das hab' ich in Paris gelernt" No.3

1961 "Hämmerchen-Polka" No.4

http://www.independe...64-8978615.html

Reggae Legend Junior Murvin has passed his last dutchie

John "Jay" Trayner, the first singer of Jay & the Americans, died yesterday of liver cancer at age 70.

In 1962 the group hit the Billboard charts at No.5 with "She cried". Trayner left the band after two less successful singles, but the greatest time for the band was still to come with the new singer David "Jay" Black...

http://wnyt.com/article/stories/S3267379.shtml?cat=300

I am genuinely quite sad to hear this news, one half of the most perfect harmonies ever, is no more,

RIP Phil Everly.

One of the greatest pure vocal groups of all time...

Freddie Lee @ 76 http://www.thenorthe...ewis/?ref=var_0

keyboardist for Lord Sutch amongst other shtick.

Give the man his due respect, everyone knew him as Freddie "Fingers" Lee; utter legend where musicians of a certain vintage met and discussed their craft.