maryportfuncity

Dead Pop Stars

2 minutes ago, Whitehouse said:

Another singer who should have retired long ago. This performance is pathetic...

He did pretty much - worked as a lab tech, performing 'from time to time'. Source. That Music City Roots recording was why I chose to post the original single!

I see he went out on Bonfire  night as well.

I believe the Knight version of this shite song came out a few months before the Love Affair version of this shite song.

embarrassed-smiley51.gif

I like 'Everlasting Love' 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Paul Bearer said:

Wasn't it originally done in the 60s by the love affair? 

5/ "How did you come to record ‘Everlasting Love’ and ‘Rainbow Valley’, who found the original versions" 

WE had two managers David Wedgebury (house photographer) & John Cokell who both worked at Decca,this is around 1966/7 they had access to all the imports on The Monument label.We rehearsed in a factory in Walthamstow & one night they turned up with "Everlasting Love " by Robert Knight an american southern soul singer.I loved it & so we set about putting it down on tape.

Source.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Whitehouse said:

Another singer who should have retired long ago. This performance is pathetic...

I used to love Love on a Mountaintop - solo 70's hit

That video is fucking terrible; wish I'd never seen it

3 hours ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Greg Gilbert will be turning on Southampton's Christmas lights on November 25th. If he makes the appearance and seems well enough, that effectively means a King Michael of Romania death rules me out of being a five-time champion. I mean he could electrocute himself but it's doubtful.

Rayya may still surprise us / you. You snatched it on Christmas Day once - you never know.......

11 minutes ago, Dead Wait said:

Rayya may still surprise us / you. You snatched it on Christmas Day once - you never know.......

The issue would be TJS in that scenario, they both have her. With Michael likely on the way out, Greg Gilbert has to die in order for him to win...

3 hours ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Greg Gilbert will be turning on Southampton's Christmas lights on November 25th. If he makes the appearance and seems well enough, that effectively means a King Michael of Romania death rules me out of being a five-time champion. I mean he could electrocute himself but it's doubtful.

Speaking of important DDP picks going out in public, Patrick Cryne will be appearing at a Q&A on November 15th.

If both Cryne and Gilbert look good in their public appearances, it's very likely TJS will win the DDP (unless, of course, something unexpected happens like Elias survives, Fujimori/Spiridonov croak, Cryne/Gilbert get hit by a car, etc).

16 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

The issue would be TJS in that scenario, they both have her. With Michael likely on the way out, Greg Gilbert has to die in order for him to win...

Oh yes, I see. Can’t quite believe that Greg has lasted this long and with his Christmas lights switch on seems to be going nowhere any time soon....!

I think Gilbert was diagnosed less than a year ago? I'm a bit annoyed I picked him. At his age he was more likely to survive the year than not.

Not the worst gamble, but one I want to avoid the next time.

October 2016 to be specific.

Ah ok. Then Devin (?) Lima is even more the Greg Gilbert of 2018 than I thought.

19 minutes ago, msc said:

October 2016 to be specific.

That was Stefansson I believe. Gilbert got diagnosed the exact same day that Donald Trump elected according to a guardian article iirc. 

• Like 1

Going by his Go Fund Me, he went into hospital for scans for it in October, and had been misdiagnosed for some months before hand, oh Joey of little faith.

24 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

That was Stefansson I believe. Gilbert got diagnosed the exact same day that Donald Trump elected according to a guardian article iirc. 

According to reports he was initially diagnosed on 3rd November 2016 but was told it had spread  and was terminal 5 days later.

Can't see Gilbert making 2019 but  can see him lasting another several months.I think he will make 2018.His cancer progressed a little which although ominous it does not make me think he has weeks.

• Like 1

He is  up and about and more chemo is available.Would be stunned if he didn't make the drop 40 this year.

37 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

Ah ok. Then Devin (?) Lima is even more the Greg Gilbert of 2018 than I thought.

Limas cancer is rarer so treatment options are  probanly lesser than Gilbert's 

Dutch producer and frontman of Sandy Coast Hans Vermeulen dead at the age of 70. Bit of a shock to me.

Am I reading Wikipedia right: he was the guy who did the fake Paul McCartney vocals on "Stars On 45" by Stars On 45?

1 hour ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Am I reading Wikipedia right: he was the guy who did the fake Paul McCartney vocals on "Stars On 45" by Stars On 45?

Seems to be...in which case he is my first miss of the year for my 1981 Hits theme team. (Doubt he'll obit though).

In fact, the only other person so far this year to have died from my 1981 long list was Saxa, who scored. And it was a bloody long list...