maryportfuncity

Dead Pop Stars

2 hours ago, ObakeFilter said:

John Mayer was admitted into the hospital for emergency appendectomy.

http://variety.com/2017/music/news/john-mayer-hospitalized-for-emergency-appendectomy-1202631000/

I bet 1000 people in the U.S. alone are.  Was this supposed to seriously be of interest on this site?   I was admitted to a hospital in 2000 for the same.  Managed to survive, apparently the Gods wanted me to come here 17 years later and chastise your posts, so I appease them today.

SC

• Haha 1

Think the death of Bonnie Flower (half of Wendy and Bonnie and almost an original Bangle at one point) has been missed hereabouts.

Highest profile in the UK oddly might be the opening seconds of Super Furry Animals' Phanton Power which samples the pair.

Wendy and Bonnie wiki page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wendy_and_Bonnie

1 hour ago, Sir Creep said:

I bet 1000 people in the U.S. alone are.  Was this supposed to seriously be of interest on this site?   I was admitted to a hospital in 2000 for the same.  Managed to survive, apparently the Gods wanted me to come here 17 years later and chastise your posts, so I appease them today.

SC

Sorry, I'll consult with you next time before posting! ^_^

1 minute ago, Vinegar Tits said:

Nile Rodgers had cancerous growth on his kidney removed earlier this year. He says the prognosis is "100% recovery" but you never know...

That is his second bout of cancer now.

2 minutes ago, Vinegar Tits said:

Nile Rodgers had cancerous growth on his kidney removed earlier this year. He says the prognosis is "100% recovery" but you never know...

Saw it but didn't get around to post it. I think the cancer is getting ready to attack him with a full army so to say. A gamble for next year, but he's gone within the next 5 years.

2 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

Saw it but didn't get around to post it. I think the cancer is getting ready to attack him with a full army so to say. A gamble for next year, but he's gone within the next 5 years.

The kidney they removed contained two types of cancer.Wasnt his prostate cancer very serious a few years ago too?

7 hours ago, Sean said:

Wasnt his prostate cancer very serious a few years ago too?

Yes, it was a particularly aggressive form.

I read Nile's autobiography a while back and unfortunately didn't really warm to him, though I guess as he's got his demons behind him he's a different guy  now as he comes across as awesome a person as Dave Grohl these days. Still, he'd have been nothing without Bernard Edwards imho and it's a shame Edwards contribution seems to be being diminished somewhat.

1 hour ago, Vinegar Tits said:

Yes, it was a particularly aggressive form.

I read Nile's autobiography a while back and unfortunately didn't really warm to him, though I guess as he's got his demons behind him he's a different guy  now as he comes across as awesome a person as Dave Grohl these days. Still, he'd have been nothing without Bernard Edwards imho and it's a shame Edwards contribution seems to be being diminished somewhat.

Aye

S'funny that...I feel the same way about the late great Mike Leander; a record producer with a sense of how the primal and pig simple could become hypnotic. Tragically he honed his winning formula and then hired a jobless wannabe who'd done the rounds for years; how the hell could he know what Gary Glitter was really like?

32 minutes ago, DevonDeathTrip said:

Keyboard maestro Richard Tandy, the member of the Electric Light Orchestra who isn't Jeff Lynne, was absent from the band's last tour due to an unspecified illness, which provoked some speculation on fan sites.    

Oh dear, if he goes next year, he's a miss for my theme team...

This is what happens when you submit early...

Dave Christenson, lead singer of 80s band The Stabilizers, has died aged 54. Their single One Simple Thing reached #93 on the Billboard Hot 100 in 1987. 

On 11/2/2017 at 13:42, DevonDeathTrip said:

Pop/Jazz singer Keely Smith in failing health according to this.

Dead

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/keely-smith-dead-jazz-pop-singer-frequent-louis-prima-collaborator-was-89-1068774

one huge loss for me I grew up listening to Louis Prima & Keely Smith.

SC

(Edit-ok I did a search and it took me to DDT’s post not Thatchers, but I’d have posted regardless, as for me it’s a tremendous loss.  One of the fondest memories Sir Creep has of his dad (and there are precious few) was listening to Prima-Smith albums.  RIP

• Like 2

On 11/9/2017 at 08:24, Spade_Cooley said:

Greg Gilbert will be turning on Southampton's Christmas lights on November 25th. If he makes the appearance and seems well enough, that effectively means a King Michael of Romania death rules me out of being a five-time champion. I mean he could electrocute himself but it's doubtful.

Looking forward to the new year

Jason Browning, founder/CEO of The Browning Group, and Matchbox Twenty’s longtime tour manager, died suddenly Dec. 26. The cause of death is unknown. He was 46.

Browning, who hailed from Columbus, Ohio, started out in the music industry working security for Hanson and Marilyn Manson, according to an emotional Facebook post from Matchbox Twenty early Friday morning (Dec. 29). 

SC

1 hour ago, Sir Creep said:

Jason Browning, founder/CEO of The Browning Group, and Matchbox Twenty’s longtime tour manager, died suddenly Dec. 26. The cause of death is unknown. He was 46.

Browning, who hailed from Columbus, Ohio, started out in the music industry working security for Hanson and Marilyn Manson, according to an emotional Facebook post from Matchbox Twenty early Friday morning (Dec. 29). 

SC

Ah shit, I wonder if he died at 3AM?

-grabs the coat-

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just browsing Art Garfunkel's 2018 tour dates (as you do when you're wondering if he's as ill as some people claim)

In May the tour ends in Boston with two dates on consecutive days, one in the City Winery and one - apparently - in the City WINDery. Typo or life-threatening digestive issues? A tough one to call!

Link: http://artgarfunkel.com/concerts2018.html

Greg Gilbert in appropriately contemplative mood:

Speaking of Gilbert, his bro last month mentioned "alternative medicines" in a tweet:

I surely would've gone for him anyway, but that marked the "definitely on the team" moment.