maryportfuncity

Dead Pop Stars

4 hours ago, Bentrovato said:

4th best selling song in the UK ever. Gold in Germany and elsewhere. Horrendous but true. Don't you just love the general public and popular taste.

50 years of artistic decline can't end well – perhaps there's some truth in that "Paul is dead" rumour

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Sean said:

I did wonder that given the sudden nature her age and talk of bi polar.

"All those who have become eminent in philosophy ... or poetry or the arts are clearly melancholics" – Aristotle, 350 BC

"I live as I choose Or I will not live at all ... I'm free to decide And I'm not so suicidal after all" – Dolores

Yesterday I was going through my record collection. I found a cranberries CD. I said to myself: "Hey, after all these years I forgot that I have this, must listen to it someday".

Three hours later it's in the news.

5 hours ago, Youth in Asia said:

I think it was more likely to have been a Prince-style painkiller overdose due to sever back pain.

The rumour about the "severe back pain" that caused the cancellation of last year's European dates is that it was a suicide attempt. Certainly that's the rumour that went round France at the time.

8 hours ago, Bentrovato said:

Wings - Mull of f#*@ing Kintyre. 1977. Goodbye Mr P McCartney.  Or Denny Laine I should add.

I've always liked Mull Of Kintyre. There's nothing wrong with it. Well, until the f&@#ing bagpipes kick in anyway... I do remember when it spent an eternity at no.1 though - and it knocked Abba's The Name Of The Game off the top spot too :evil: Thank goodness for Althia & Donna in their khaki suits and ting.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

21 minutes ago, Vinegar Tits said:

I've always liked Mull Of Kintyre. There's nothing wrong with it. Well, until the f&@#ing bagpipes kick in anyway... I do remember when it spent an eternity at no.1 though - and it knocked Abba's The Name Of The Game off the top spot too :evil: Thank goodness for Althia & Donna in their khaki suits and ting.

To me Mull Of Kintyre and ABBA are something between miley cyrus in the mtv music awards 2013 and Chinese water torture – no wait, I choose the torture by water

• Haha 2

18 hours ago, Vinegar Tits said:

To be honest, suicide was the first thing that crossed my mind too. We'll find out soon enough I suppose.

One possibility that we can exclude already is murder:

Dolores O'Riordan death not treated as suspicious.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2018/jan/16/dolores-oriordan-cranberries-death-not-suspicious-say-police

2 hours ago, Vinegar Tits said:

Abba's The Name Of The Game

Thank goodness for Althia & Donna in their khaki suits and ting.

Both :bow:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Vinegar Tits said:

I was in P5 next to the Mull when it was no 1, cunts farm was nowhere near it.

We hated it although some boys were in the video with the Pipe band.

** video was even further away than his farm, up near Skipness from memory.

Hans van Hemert's hypnotic pop song "Trojan Horse", also from 1978, and with bagpipes, is much more interesting than "Mull Of Kintyre".

Paul is indeed dead.

• Like 2

I love Luv'!

Trojan Horse was No. 3 in Germany, a few weeks after the band hit No.1 with You're the greatest lover! Absolutely lovely! :wub:

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, charon said:

I was in P5 next to the Mull when it was no 1, cunts farm was nowhere near it.

We hated it although some boys were in the video with the Pipe band.

** video was even further away than his farm, up near Skipness from memory.

So, basically, it was one big fucking lie? :)

12 minutes ago, Book said:

I love Luv'!

Trojan Horse was No. 3 in Germany, a few weeks after the band hit No.1 with You're the greatest lover! Absolutely lovely! :wub:

Luv' makes me happy! Another masterpiece. Chicks are now old

• Like 2

Yes, Luv' are happy sound and a little kitschy, but I love them as well!

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

So, basically, it was one big fucking lie? :)

Yup :)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Vinegar Tits said:

I've always liked Mull Of Kintyre. There's nothing wrong with it. Well, until Linda McCartney kicks in anyway... I do remember when it spent an eternity at no.1 though - and it knocked Abba's The Name Of The Game off the top spot too :evil: Thank goodness for Althia & Donna in their khaki suits and ting.

Sorry, the edit makes more sense. :D

This was so fabulous. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Toast said:

This was so fabulous. 

One of the best #1 singles of the 1970s...

• Like 2

It won't come as a surprise to anyone that I also love Luv'. How 'Trojan Horse' wasn't a hit over here I'll never know.

22 minutes ago, Vinegar Tits said:

It won't come as a surprise to anyone that I also love Luv'. How 'Trojan Horse' wasn't a hit over here I'll never know.

José's (Luv's lead singer) husband died a few years ago and now she has posted that her best female friend (a producer) has died.

But here's Trojan Horse revisited, isn't it great

LUV - Trojan Horse ( Maxi Mix von DJ Trancemann 2016

The Argent sing was the one I always thought should have been Alex Harveys.

• Like 1

On 16-1-2018 at 16:30, Vinegar Tits said:

Shudder to reveal this but this actually this was the first single I bought.....  

I think I am a bit redeemed by the fact that the B-side of the single is still pretty good...