maryportfuncity

Dead Pop Stars

On 23/02/2018 at 20:35, msc said:

Eddy Amoo of The Real Thing dead aged 73, getting obits everywhere. BBC.

Did a search, nowt came up.

Really nice guy - met him (and the rest of his band) once over

Liam O'Flynn at 72.

Was the uilleann piper for Planxty, Christy Moore's long standing group.

Played on a shit load of things for other folk too.

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2018/0314/947337-liam-oflynn/

9 hours ago, charon said:

Rim Banna at 51.

Palestinian singer who was part of the excellent https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lullabies_from_the_Axis_of_Evil

For those who can't be bothered following the link that album was exactly what you might think - lullabies sung by women from so called Axis of Evil countries

51mQ3nf-9IL._SX355_PJautoripBadge,Bottom

transparent-pixel._CB384789948_.giftransparent-pixel._CB384789948_.gif

• Like 1

Including Norway....

Actually I went to the link and read the reviews I could find, cuz it sounded like a great concept.  

K Pop singer Seo Min-Woo dead from a heart attack in Gangnam of all places.

http://entertain.naver.com/now/read?oid=109&aid=0003745147

Wonder if he let out a "Woop....... Woop, Woop" as he hit the deck? Now that would've been style.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Norwegian musician Frode Viken of the group D.D.E. Passed away yesterday, the Saturday before Easter from cancer. He had just turned 63 years old the day before. Best know for writing and performing funny songs like: «Rompa mi» (My Ass). R.I.P. A Nation is grieving this weekend.

Barry Maguire, 83 this year and his website hasn't been updated for a while.    Just thought I'd mention him, because I've heard a rumour is quite unwell at the moment, perhaps even on the eve of destruction...

• Like 2

Steve Howe of YES turns 71 today! :birthday:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FixedBusiness said:

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Youwanticewiththat said:

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, FixedBusiness said:

The recently reissued Fly From Here (not exactly their best album) now includes a bonus track with Howe on lead vocals.

Let's just say they've been a smart band to make sure they included other singers in their ranks

• Like 1

16 hours ago, maryportfuncity said:

The recently reissued Fly From Here (not exactly their best album) now includes a bonus track with Howe on lead vocals.

Let's just say they've been a smart band to make sure they included other singers in their ranks

Yes.

18 hours ago, maryportfuncity said:

"Surprised his son isn't playing on the album with him."
-- Peter Falk

• Like 1

FTR, this Steve Howe chat should be in a goddamn prog rock thread -- and for reasons unknown we have two to choose from -- but not goddamn Dead Pop Stars.  Goddamit.  Where are the Goddamn moderators?

SC

Doesn't really matter, YES was quite poppy in the 80s. I guess as long as I'm not putting a member of Cannibal Corpse in this thread it's alright.

4 hours ago, gcreptile said:

Greg Gilbert has now hopped onto the "cancer poetry" train:

https://andotherpoems.com/2018/04/06/a-sequence-by-greg-gilbert/

He also started another cycle of chemo in late March, so he's still fighting for more time.

Starting to wonder if Gilbert is becoming more of a long term case than a in two years fatality type...

3 hours ago, Joey Russ said:

Starting to wonder if Gilbert is becoming more of a long term case than a in two years fatality type...

Well if he’s starting a cycle of chemo his doctors suspect or at least hope it keeps C from advancing, so there’s all that time plus even if it fails then there may still be alternatives and even if not there is still the time the body succumbs and that’s usually many months (say 4 minimum 12 max).  Two years is quite likely rather than iffy, and chalk up myself and whoever else wants to admit now that Gilbert appears a shoddy pick in 2018.

SC

14 hours ago, FixedBusiness said:

Doesn't really matter, YES was quite poppy in the 80s. I guess as long as I'm not putting a member of Cannibal Corpse in this thread it's alright.

Good looking lads, mind

Cannibal+Corpse.jpg

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Joey Russ said:

16 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

Well if he’s starting a cycle of chemo his doctors suspect or at least hope it keeps C from advancing, so there’s all that time plus even if it fails then there may still be alternatives and even if not there is still the time the body succumbs and that’s usually many months (say 4 minimum 12 max).  Two years is quite likely rather than iffy, and chalk up myself and whoever else wants to admit now that Gilbert appears a shoddy pick in 2018.

SC

Yeah, you two are right. I fucked up big time jokering him.

Seemed like a cert in December - 'too ill' to attend Christmas lighting, and everybody thought it plausible for him to die that month and give DQSP another late win.

But even though more tumors are popping up, everything seems under control for now. I guess there's a chance treatment stops working and he dies later this year, but at the moment it seems he's actually one of the worst picks on my team. Not something you'd want to say about your joker. :unsure:

I originally considered him to be a 2017 Errol Christie - unexpectedly survived the previous year, so a decent bet he won't hang on much longer. But now I realize he's more of a 2017 Leah Bracknell - prognosis seems grim on paper, but they're defying the odds and not declining as fast as expected.

So, yeah, that means I'm pretty much out of the run for the title this year. But punts like Goodwin and Rios Montt being successful means I still have a decent shot at the top 10. And, who knows, if Vervoort continues to stall the euthanasia...