maryportfuncity

Dead Pop Stars

On 25/04/2018 at 04:41, FixedBusiness said:

Nile Rodgers broke and fell his nose. I'll go start the sweepstakes thread :D

(Eh I made this post to make that little cheeky remark, but take this as a "how's Nile Rodgers doing now?" post.)

Nile Rodgers is doing just fine.

I caught 10 minutes of Jools Holland before Newsnight was on, and he was in great form for a pensioner. Chas and Dave, however, looked like they were about to drop dead on the spot (which is what anyone who bears witness to their snoozefests wishes they could do).

1 hour ago, maryportfuncity said:

On another tack entirely - there was a funny story in a press write up about Peter Stringfellow in which he talked about nearly getting seven shades kicked out of him back in the early eighties in New York by a coke dealer who wanted paying a few thousand dollars for gear supplied. Stringfellow pointed out he'd never met the dealer and eventually the pair of them realised it was genuine mistaken identity because Stringfellow and Peter FRAMPTON shared a similar trendy mullet/blonde tresses look at the time. Begging the question; if Frampton's fondness for marching powder was on that scale decades ago - what shape is his 68 year old heart in today?

Talking of mistaken identity, there was something on Twitter about Stringfellow bearing an uncanny resemblance to one of the figures in Joseph Wright's 1768 masterpiece An Experiment on a Bird in the Air Pump :huh:

An_Experiment_on_a_Bird_in_an_Air_Pump_by_Joseph_Wright_of_Derby,_1768.jpg

8 hours ago, Clorox Bleachman said:

Nile Rodgers is doing just fine.

I caught 10 minutes of Jools Holland before Newsnight was on, and he was in great form for a pensioner. Chas and Dave, however, looked like they were about to drop dead on the spot (which is what anyone who bears witness to their snoozefests wishes they could do).

Chas and Dave are booked for the Ramblin' Man Fair this summer - tbh I was planning on avoiding them and heading for the prog stage during their set...but that post has caused a rethink

• Haha 2

Demi Lovato has relapsed after 6 years of sobriety.

Her new song, "Sober," is currently #1 on the U.S. iTunes chart, in it, she apologizes to those she has disappointed.

On ‎20‎/‎03‎/‎2015 at 22:10, themaninblack said:

Michael Brown of 1960s "Baroque" popsters The Left Banke, has died aged 65.

Report of the death of original drummer/backing singer of The Left Banke, George Cameron, aged 70:

http://www.mchoulfuneralhome.com/book-of-memories/3541462/Cameron-Justo-George/obituary.php

One day into the Ramblin' Man festival - form spotters paradise re aged rock stars - I can tell yers that 79 year Ian Hunter of Mott the Hoople fame led the band through a full on hour and a half headling set last night and looked in way better shape than his younger compadres Ariel Bender and Morgan Fisher (the latter somewhat rotund and re-viving his old stage routine of being served sparkling wine during the show - tbh he looke more the old wino than a musician doing it for ironic effect and the fact he had one shoe sole flapping loose suggested a certain dishevelled aspect to his life). All of that trio highly obitable.

• Like 1

On 02/11/2010 at 22:52, maryportfuncity said:

Listening to a documentary about the Bay City Rollers tonight has reminded me.....former bassist Alan Longmuir suffered a heart attack and stroke in the mid-nineties. 62 years old, still alive and obit-worthy, mind.

And now dead.

• Sad 1

54 minutes ago, msc said:

And obit worthy 

Arguably the only one in the classic line-up (i.e.the mob pictured on the cover of the Rollin' album) who's musical skills you might want to defend.

Oh aye and...

Saw several aged stalwarts of rock over the weekend (none older than Ian Hunter of Mott), didn't spot anyone who's presence on stage convinced me imminent death awaited them. 

Bring on A New Day (ironically titled since you could pretty much deliver the performers to the stage in an Age Concern bus) - early August.

Sad news. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-44679446

I remember well cutting about Kings Park, at the height of their fame, in my first pair of platform soles and being given a tartan rosette by my folks.

Not their biggest hit, but in this heat it's worth posting their UK #3 Summerlove Sensation:

From Y-Dub's post above:  "Bay City Roller Alan Longmuir dies"

(Just so the name is searchable).  And yes, it is sad news.  Although.... that means he died on a M-O-N-D-A-Y morning. 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

From Y-Dub's post above:  "Bay City Roller Alan Longmuir dies"

(Just so the name is searchable).  And yes, it is sad news.  Although.... that means he died on a M-O-N-D-A-Y morning. 

Now he has a reason not to like Mondays.

Sad news! I will spend the night listening to my BCR collection

Sad news. I was just that little bit too young for the Bay City Rollers but they hold a place in my heart due to Shang-A-Lang being my first musical memory.

13 minutes ago, Vinegar Tits said:

Sad news. I was just that little bit too young for the Bay City Rollers but they hold a place in my heart due to Shang-A-Lang being my first musical memory.

Me: :wheelchair:

6 hours ago, Mad Hatter2 said:

Now he has a reason not to like Mondays.

Tell me why!

• Haha 3

57 minutes ago, FixedBusiness said:

Tell me why!

Its a reference to "I don't like mondays" a song the bay city rollers made.

• Confused 4
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Mad Hatter2 said:

Though they were sneaky and released it under the name 'The Boomtown Rats'

Here's the coverage in the local paper

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/our-region/edinburgh/alan-longmuir-of-the-bay-city-rollers-dies-aged-70-1-4762457?ff=

• Like 1

3 hours ago, FixedBusiness said:

Tell me why!

2 hours ago, Mad Hatter2 said:

Dont you mean the Boomtown Rats? 

• Like 1

tumblr_n1u16aQvqd1s7osn1o2_500.gif

• Like 3

Not complaining about the above post, everyone's entitled to post here because music binds you to people but....American Richard Swift's record for the record:

The Shins: Zero top 100 albums or singles in the UK.

The Arcs: Zero top 100 singles, 1 album reached number 40 in the UK.

Was a touring member of The Black Keys, so their 4 top 75 singles don't count.

Solo artist: Zero mark on the charts in the UK.

National Obits received in the UK so far: Mail; Mirror; The Sun, Daily Star.

Another Richard, British Richard Adland, drummer for The Piranhas (died early 2018):

Piranhas: 1 top 10 and 1 top 20 single and one top 75 album in the UK.

National Obits received in the UK so far: None.

Thank gawd for this forum.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

Not complaining about the above post, everyone's entitled to post here because music binds you to people but....American Richard Swift's record for the record:

The Shins: Zero top 100 albums or singles in the UK.

The Arcs: Zero top 100 singles, 1 album reached number 40 in the UK.

Was a touring member of The Black Keys, so their 4 top 75 singles don't count.

Solo artist: Zero mark on the charts in the UK.

National Obits received in the UK so far: Mail; Mirror; The Sun, Daily Star.

Another Richard, British Richard Adland, drummer for The Piranhas (died early 2018):

Piranhas: 1 top 10 and 1 top 20 single and one top 75 album in the UK.

National Obits received in the UK so far: None.

Thank gawd for this forum.

I'd have never heard of the damned indie Shins if it weren't for them being on an episode of Yo Gabba Gabba.  
(Note 1: The deceased wasn't a member of the Shits Shins when this was aired)
(Note 2: As shitty as they are, this should be my deadpooling theme song "Sometimes you win sometimes you lose but it's ok try again")

• Angry 1

The Shins most popular song (New Slang) has over 110 million plays on Spotify. That might be a clue...