maryportfuncity

Dead Pop Stars

11 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

Hmm

A lot of their records were played by session musicians. There's an infamous story in which a DJ tries to entrap a BCR by asking him apparently off-mic what he thinks of their latest single. When he frankly admits it isn't that great he's asked why he didn't say anything as it was being recorded at which point the BCR points out the first time he heard the record was when he heard it on the radio.

Given Marr was recruited by Tam Paton from another band, given that Marr was by all accounts a talented keyboardist and given Marr was on their first record and toured with the band, I doubt very much his part was done by a session muso.

14 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

Given Marr was recruited by Tam Paton from another band, given that Marr was by all accounts a talented keyboardist and given Marr was on their first record and toured with the band, I doubt very much his part was done by a session muso.

Fair point - and he might well have done the parts of others.

Guitarist Rob Davies of Mud played quite a few other parts on their records - which saved the record company a few quid in session fees

• Like 1

Greg Gilbert scan results (preliminary):

No change, should rule him out for this year, but keeps everyone guessing for 2019.

• Like 2

I’m probably going to drop him next year tbh. While he’s probably going to be a goner in a few years time, I’d rather not keep guessing on how long the treatment can last him...

On 21/09/2016 at 12:11, Whitehouse said:

AC/DC bassist Cliff Williams calls it quits. That only leaves Angus Young as the one founding member. So, I expect the death of the band after the tour ends.

Bon Scott - Dead.

Malcolm Young - dementia.

Brian Johnson - Hearing problems.

Phil Rudd - Breaking the law....

Hell, if Angus leaves, means Axl Rose is left! :sherlock:

Brian Johnson and Phil Rudd reportedly both returning to AC/DC.

http://loudwire.com/looks-like-brian-johnson-phil-rudd-back-acdc/

G.G. Shinn has died at the age of 78

• Sad 1

On 13/06/2018 at 07:45, maryportfuncity said:

Chas and Dave are booked for the Ramblin' Man Fair this summer - tbh I was planning on avoiding them and heading for the prog stage during their set...but that post has caused a rethink

Cancelled the rest of the years tours.

Doctors orders as the recovery not going so well.....

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

According to this, Don Cherry died on April 4th, 2018 aged 94: https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=2174998692729514&id=1530062100556513

UK #6 (1956) Band Of Gold

Not the DDP pick. But perhaps a Su Wukong one.

Wiki page needs updating (Roey Juss, STAT)

I don't mind pop music from the pre-Elvis 50s.... but this isn't very good imho.  Thank God that Don Cherry of hockey fame came around and resurrected the name from it's lows of 1955.

10 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

According to this, Don Cherry died on April 4th, 2018 aged 94: https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=2174998692729514&id=1530062100556513

UK #6 (1956) Band Of Gold

Not the DDP pick. But perhaps a Su Wukong one.

Another beneficiary of the "hey, the Sun Wukong technically has no obit standards" loophole... :D

Only person to have some sort of professional success as a singer and a golfer, apparently.

10 minutes ago, Death Impends said:

Another beneficiary of the "hey, the Sun Wukong technically has no obit standards" loophole... :D

Only person to have some sort of professional success as a singer and a golfer, apparently.

• Like 1

Dame Joan Hammond was a leading female amateur golfer before taking to opera full-time.

Bing Crosby's son, Nathaniel Crosby, turned pro in the early 1980s and played on the European tour. He featured on a number of his father's records.

Anthony Armstrong Jones (not the ex royal husband) was a former professional golfer who became a low-level country star in the late 60s/early 70s.

And Althea Gibson, the first black person to win a tennis grand slam (1955 French Open), later turned to careers in both professional golf and music after racism curtailed her time on the court. Because if you want to avoid racism, you go to a golf course.

• Thanks 1

I actually found an update on Devin Lima, but it's from February, and wanted to share:

https://do617.com/events/2018/2/2/vs-cancer-to-benefit-harold-devin-lima

His tumour was removed in its entirety (at some point), and then he went through chemo and radiation. Result unknown...

His real name is Harold Lima, ok...

21 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

I actually found an update on Devin Lima, but it's from February, and wanted to share:

https://do617.com/events/2018/2/2/vs-cancer-to-benefit-harold-devin-lima

His tumour was removed in its entirety (at some point), and then he went through chemo and radiation. Result unknown...

His real name is Harold Lima, ok...

He also has a gofundme page, but it basically repeats what’s already said in that update. Not doing too hot in terms of fundraising though...

On 31/07/2018 at 13:41, gcreptile said:

I'd really like to get a hit with Lindsay Kemp, but he's fine, apparently.

The Curse Of The Deathlist Forums strikes again!

• Like 2

Thought Chester Bennington has his own thread, but can't find one. 

• Like 1

Sad news. I thought he was doing much better tbh. 

4 hours ago, Joey Russ said:

Sad news. I thought he was doing much better tbh. 

Indeed - he's on most of the stuff that really matters in the Bad Seeds' history. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, gcreptile said:

Guardian obit for all purposes, or well, my purposes:

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2018/sep/03/conway-savage-nick-cave-and-the-bad-seeds-pianist-dies-age-58

Maybe the theme team threepeat is now on again.

Maybe. But then again, you also have a joker that I’m very skeptical on their obit chances at this point, so who knows...