maryportfuncity

Dead Pop Stars

3 hours ago, time said:

I admit it was a song I only remembered after reading The Captain's obit.

Horrified to discover America also released it as a single. Every bit as terrible as you'd imagine.

Us Americans allowed these two talent-less schmucks to have a TELEVISION variety show!  Lasted two seasons or so.  Dragon had zero and I mean ZERO personality so how this was supposed to work I don't recall (I was 13 maybe).  Sonny & Cher it was NOT.
SC

6 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

Hey time, do you and Fixed Business have the same person in your avatar?  pretty close, clones perhaps....

I don't think so, I'm not sure who FBs avatar is, but I don't think it's Leela from the Tom Baker era Doctor Who (which mine is).

On 11/12/2017 at 23:11, DevonDeathTrip said:

Keyboard maestro Richard Tandy, the member of the Electric Light Orchestra who isn't Jeff Lynne, was absent from the band's last tour due to an unspecified illness, which provoked some speculation on fan sites.    

TANDYmorganfirmando.jpg

A rare recent photo of Richard Tandy (L) from November...

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, DevonDeathTrip said:
  On 11/12/2017 at 17:11, DevonDeathTrip said:

Keyboard maestro Richard Tandy, the member of the Electric Light Orchestra who isn't Jeff Lynne, was absent from the band's last tour due to an unspecified illness, which provoked some speculation on fan sites.    

And there's team Gris Gris with Bev Bevan this year.  Right band, wrong member lol.  

7 hours ago, charon said:

Ice Nine Kills former bassist Shane Bisnett dead.

https://www.rocksound.tv/news/read/former-ice-nine-kills-bassist-shane-bisnett-has-died

I read this like 5 times before it struck me 'kills' isn't a verb in this context.  Truly the worst name of a band ever.  
Like anything that involves two or more people, there had to be one person suggest something and the other(s) agree it's a great idea.
Boggles the mind.

15 minutes ago, Death Impends said:

Fellow McGuire Sister Christine McGuire follows suit, aged 92.

On 03/01/2019 at 03:45, time said:

I don't think so, I'm not sure who FBs avatar is, but I don't think it's Leela from the Tom Baker era Doctor Who (which mine is).

Nope, mine is Alissa White-Gluz, the Canadian vegan activist-lead singer and screamer of death metal band Arch Enemy and formerly, The Agonist. Has also worked with Alex Skolnick from Testament, Chris Jericho from Fozzy (and he's a wrestler too) and more.

Kris Kelmi dies like a trooper, drinks himself to death on the first of January aged 63.

Was part of Autograph, the only Eastern band to be in Live Aid.

* vaguely remember there was maybe a Live Aid thread, but could only find the Band Aid one.

https://www.rferl.org/a/soviet-era-russian-rock-musician-kris-kelmi-dies-at-63/29689639.html

• Like 1

"Other music that isn't pop music other than as per local culture and isn't rock or jazz or jamaican or new wave or prog or metal" thread.

Music fans are in mourning on Saturday after news broke that musician and producer Dan Tshanda passed away in Johannesburg after suffering heart failure at age 54.

He was reportedly certified dead on arrival at Sandton Mediclinic after suffering a heart attack.

News sites from African countries, particularly Zimbabwe and Botswana, where he was very popular, have also been reporting the news.
SC

(**Totally random Youtube selection -- the author Sir Creep does not suggest this is representative of Tshanda's overall sound**).

Eric Haydock, original bass player for The Hollies has died at the age of 75

• Sad 2

37 minutes ago, Phantom said:

Long Cool Man in a Black Coat...

14 hours ago, Phantom said:

Link

How maudlin that their biggest hit during his tenure was I'm Alive. Also, Haydock looks the least pleased to be there:

2 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

How maudlin that their biggest hit during his tenure was I'm Alive. Also, Haydock looks the least pleased to be there:

Guess it depends where one is from.  Look Through Any Window was decisively their biggest "Pre-Bus Stop" song in the States.  Not quite as maudlin.

There's a programme on the telly tomorrow at 10.15 am with the Hollies originals (Graham Nash, Allan Clarke, Tony Hicks and Bobby Elliott) on sky arts. Channel 122 in the UK. (Was on earlier today too) 

Backing singer Clydie King dead.

Impressive career, and another on Sweet Home Alabama to die of late.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/clydie-king-ray-charles-bob-dylan-singer-dead-777417/

On 18/01/2016 at 22:26, Paul Bearer said:

Not sure if this is a hoax or not. Glen Frey dead? Will try to find a real link. http://ktla.com/2016/01/18/eagles-founding-member-glenn-frey-dead-at-67/

And the doctor getting sued for $12M by the widow says "prove he would've earned it".

http://laoldies.com/home/engagement/?id=1119&title=Doctor+blamed+for+Glenn+Frey's+death+wants+proof+he+would've+have+earned+millions+had+he+lived&type=article

2 hours ago, charon said:

Backing singer Clydie King dead.

Impressive career, and another on Sweet Home Alabama to die of late.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/clydie-king-ray-charles-bob-dylan-singer-dead-777417/

Did they just say 'unsung backup singer'. Cmon Rolling Stone.....really? 

51 minutes ago, charon said:

And the doctor getting sued for $12M by the widow says "prove he would've earned it".

"She wants $12 million, which she says represents the money Frey would have earned if he had lived past the age of 67."

So he himself was worth nothing to her, only the money he brought in.  That doesn't shock me, but making it so blatantly clear does.

• Like 1

Report of the death of Glen Dale of The Fortunes:

Sad news indeed if true as that would leave only drummer Andy Brown from the classic and most successful line-up.