maryportfuncity

Dead Pop Stars

11 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Report of the death of Glen Dale of The Fortunes:

Sad news indeed if true as that would leave only drummer Andy Brown from the classic and most successful line-up.

Glen Dale has his troubles, I got mine.

From Feb 2018:

"The highlight of the evening however, was Rod & Barry’s colleague of yesteryear, Glen Dale singing ‘You’ve Got Your Troubles’ with us. Glen unfortunately lost a leg through illness and was wheelchair bound, but that did not stop his fabulous voice from soaring through the air! It was an absolute pleasure for me to perform onstage with Glen again."

He had lost a leg to (diabetes?), he should have been on our radar.  We all dropped the ball.
SC

• Like 1

On 11/01/2019 at 15:03, charon said:

Backing singer Clydie King dead.

Impressive career, and another on Sweet Home Alabama to die of late.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/clydie-king-ray-charles-bob-dylan-singer-dead-777417/

That article only covers a small number of the significant sessions she made. Clydie King, usually together Venetta Fields and Sherlie Matthews, were the go-to backing for many Los Angeles recording sessions for the majority of the 1970s. They were not always credited, or simply credited as The Blackberries.

Other acts she definitely worked with include Captain Beefheart (on 'Clear Spot'), Tim Buckley (on 'Greetings From LA'), Gene Clark (on 'No Other'), and possibly Stevie Wonder (on 'Music Of Of Mind' - uncredited). There's also some other less worthy acts she backed up - she's on Leo Sayer's 'Endless Flight' (available from a charity shop near you) and possibly also a James Last album (he recorded 'Best Kept Secret' in LA with the usual LA session crew, and Venetta Fields is pictured on the back cover).

2 hours ago, JQW said:

That article only covers a small number of the significant sessions she made. Clydie King, usually together Venetta Fields and Sherlie Matthews, were the go-to backing for many Los Angeles recording sessions for the majority of the 1970s. They were not always credited, or simply credited as The Blackberries.

Other acts she definitely worked with include Captain Beefheart (on 'Clear Spot'), Tim Buckley (on 'Greetings From LA'), Gene Clark (on 'No Other'), and possibly Stevie Wonder (on 'Music Of Of Mind' - uncredited). There's also some other less worthy acts she backed up - she's on Leo Sayer's 'Endless Flight' (available from a charity shop near you) and possibly also a James Last album (he recorded 'Best Kept Secret' in LA with the usual LA session crew, and Venetta Fields is pictured on the back cover).

That's just shy of nine minutes of the two hour end of year show accounted for, then - obvious but awesome; we'll actually play Sweet Home Alabama

Traditional South African singer Thabo Seremi dead aged 49.

https://www.sowetanlive.co.za/news/south-africa/2019-01-14-traditional-sepedi-music-singer-thabo-seremi-has-died/

He had a fucking axe toooo.

-4MhDtuHSpHB6H9GxQl1Ip8qyxcFrEyEP_F1-PPp

:axe:

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, alt obits guy said:

Greg Gilbert provides an update on his condition.

Just beat me to it. Feel hes a bit of overdramatic but it's understandable, still glad to hear hes alright

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, FixedBusiness said:

Just beat me to it. Feel hes a bit of overdramatic but it's understandable, still glad to hear hes alright

"alright"

Tara Simmons, Australian musician who was on my 2018 longlist due to battling Stage IV breast cancer, dead aged 34 from said cancer.

Forgot all about her tbh.

James Ingram is dead according to Twitter...

• Like 1

Good. Spray and pray sub-machine guns are an abomination.

22 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

James Ingram is my first miss for my 1983 ToTP theme team. Not even on my long list!

#11 UK Baby Come To Me

"Yah Mo B There" has to be considered one of the 100 best songs of all time, imho.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Joey Russ said:

James Ingram is dead according to Twitter...

Knew him from the abomination of a charity single We Are The World. Checked out his other stuff and its pretty alright. R.I.P

Btw anyone wondering Cause of death was Brain cancer..

Just now, FixedBusiness said:

Knew him from the abomination of a charity single We Are The World. Checked out his other stuff and its pretty alright. R.I.P

Btw anyone wondering Cause of death was Brain cancer..

Kept it damn quiet then, as nothing on my researches last year showed anything like that.

Off my 1985 and 1987 lists now....gawd rest his soul.

On ‎03‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 20:02, DevonDeathTrip said:

Point of order!

Johnny Ray and The Four Lads had a number seven hit in 1952. Frank Busseri, one of the original Lads, breathes and still fronts the group.

Frank Busseri has died according to his nephew, now leaving (I believe) Doris Day and Vera Lynn as the only survivors who had a 1952 UK top ten hit:

Here's that #7 UK hit from 1952, Faith Can Move Mountains:

• Like 2

On 16/01/2019 at 23:35, alt obits guy said:

Greg Gilbert provides an update on his condition.

Greg Gilbert Guardian interview/feature.

12 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

Probably one for the US readers and @Phantom only.

Randy Nauert of surf beat combo The Challengers died 7 February, 9 years and a day after Richard Delvy: https://www.gofundme.com/randy-nauert

Heard about it from a few friends who are performing at the Rockin' Race Festival in Spain. They did a short set of Challengers tunes as a tribute.

• Like 1

On 30/01/2019 at 03:19, YoungWillz said:

Frank Busseri has died according to his nephew, now leaving (I believe) Doris Day and Vera Lynn as the only survivors who had a 1952 UK top ten hit:

Here's that #7 UK hit from 1952, Faith Can Move Mountains:

An obit comes finally...

11 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Aye, he was alive online in a couple of reputable places until the weekend.

Faith Can Move Mountains may well make the cut for our List of the Lost radio show for 2019 deaths, already clocked up about half an hour of tracks - including Sensational Alex Harvey Band's Faith Healer

Greg Gilbert now needs morphine for his treatment:

I think the time is not that far away when he quits treatment for good.