maryportfuncity

Dead Pop Stars

Patrick Hernandez was born, born, born on this day 70 years ago! :birthday:

Still performing the one fucking song after 40 years.

4 minutes ago, Clorox Bleachman said:

Patrick Hernandez was born, born, born on this day 70 years ago! :birthday:

Still performing the one fucking song after 40 years.

It's good to be alive (to be alive)! ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪

Shawn Smith, vocalist with a number of Seattle-area bands, dead at 55. A bunch of his solo tracks popped up on The Sopranos OST, but his most famous work was as the frontman of Pigeonhed, who had a global hit (via a Lo Fidelity Allstars remix) in 1999 with "Battleflag":

Not dead, but as far as I know, not hospitalized. Freddy Cannon who was scheduled to replace Wanda Jackson at this year's Viva Las Vegas, has had to cancel due to ill health. 
He appears to be in good spirits and his illness doesn't appear to be too serious, but he is under doctor's orders to take it easy. 

6 hours ago, Phantom said:

Not dead, but as far as I know, not hospitalized. Freddy Cannon who was scheduled to replace Wanda Jackson at this year's Viva Las Vegas, has had to cancel due to ill health. 
He appears to be in good spirits and his illness doesn't appear to be too serious, but he is under doctor's orders to take it easy. 

Totally forgotten that 82 year old obitable rocker was still with us

Thanks!

3 hours ago, maryportfuncity said:

Totally forgotten that 82 year old obitable rocker was still with us

Thanks!

I emailed him yesterday, got a reply back within a couple of hours. While he is expected to fully recover, I suspect he may decide to retire and perhaps do the occasional festival from time to time.

It's a shame that he had to cancel, as I know Eddie Angel was going to try to get him to sing Palisades Park while standing next to the fountain.

27 minutes ago, Phantom said:

I emailed him yesterday, got a reply back within a couple of hours. While he is expected to fully recover, I suspect he may decide to retire and perhaps do the occasional festival from time to time.

It's a shame that he had to cancel, as I know Eddie Angel was going to try to get him to sing Palisades Park while standing next to the fountain.

First encountered him when Matchbox had a hit with Buzz Buzz A-Diddle-it and -whilst thinking them shite - I thought the song a corker and decided to find out where they'd nicked it. Bit under-rated our Freddy but he'll doubtless get some recognition - as did Pinetop Perkins - by living long enough to oblige people to mark his passing as one of the last to go.

1 hour ago, maryportfuncity said:

First encountered him when Matchbox had a hit with Buzz Buzz A-Diddle-it and -whilst thinking them shite - I thought the song a corker and decided to find out where they'd nicked it. Bit under-rated our Freddy but he'll doubtless get some recognition - as did Pinetop Perkins - by living long enough to oblige people to mark his passing as one of the last to go.

I got to know him a few years ago when he recorded a couple of songs with Los Straitjackets. The project was almost shelved as the a-side was a song called "When The Sox are Rockin" about the Boston Red Sox (Freddy's favourite baseball team) so we weren't sure how many would be interested. So I spent time talking to radio stations in Massachusetts, and the gift shop at Fenway Park to generate interest.

The single was eventually released for Record Store Day 2013 which coincided with the 101st anniversary of Fenway Park. Freddy was under the impression that it would be a major Billboard hit. But we only pressed 1,000 copies. 6 years on, we still have copies available. 

Nonetheless, Freddy was grateful and he sent me a signed photo, CD and a t-shirt. 

Thinking of the NOW albums which have got to the point where there are more than 100. I got to thinking about the original NOW album (released in 1983) and created a list of 20 potential Deathlist picks.  This is not comprehensive as I have omitted members of groups outside of recognisable lead singers.

The only dead solo artist from NOW ONE is Malcolm McLaran.

1.       Phil Collins (b.1951)

2.       Simon Le Bon (b.1958)

3.       Limahl (b.1958)

4.       Glenn Gregory (b.1958)

5.       Harry Wayne Casey (b.1951)

6.       Bonnie Tyler (b.1951)

7.       Boy George (b.1961)

8.       Mike Oldfield (b.1953)

9.       Rod Stewart (b.1945)

10.   Paul Young (b.1956)

11.   Tina Turner (b.1939)

12.   Phil Oakey (b.1955)

13.   Howard Jones (b.1955)

14.   Peabo Bryson (b.1951)

15.   Roberta Flack (b.1937)

16.   Tracey Ullman (b.1959)

17.   Lynn Goldsmith (Will Powers) (b.1948)

18.   Robert Smith (b.1959)

19.   Jim Kerr (b.1959)

20.   Suggs (b.1961)

If we don't get some action soon I might have to look at some of the other NOW albums

• Like 2

On 17/04/2019 at 12:03, Bibliogryphon said:

Thinking of the NOW albums which have got to the point where there are more than 100. I got to thinking about the original NOW album (released in 1983) and created a list of 20 potential Deathlist picks.  This is not comprehensive as I have omitted members of groups outside of recognisable lead singers.

The only dead solo artist from NOW ONE is Malcolm McLaran.

1.       Phil Collins (b.1951)

2.       Simon Le Bon (b.1958)

3.       Limahl (b.1958)

4.       Glenn Gregory (b.1958)

5.       Harry Wayne Casey (b.1951)

6.       Bonnie Tyler (b.1951)

7.       Boy George (b.1961)

8.       Mike Oldfield (b.1953)

9.       Rod Stewart (b.1945)

10.   Paul Young (b.1956)

11.   Tina Turner (b.1939)

12.   Phil Oakey (b.1955)

13.   Howard Jones (b.1955)

14.   Peabo Bryson (b.1951)

15.   Roberta Flack (b.1937)

16.   Tracey Ullman (b.1959)

17.   Lynn Goldsmith (Will Powers) (b.1948)

18.   Robert Smith (b.1959)

19.   Jim Kerr (b.1959)

20.   Suggs (b.1961)

If we don't get some action soon I might have to look at some of the other NOW albums

Roberta Flack probably will be the first of that lot to go followed by Tina Turner.

• Like 1

Freddy "Boom Boom" Cannon has announced his retirement

20190422_201456-1.jpg

Well despite the flurry of excitement on the exit of two lingering crowdsourced picks it has not occupied me enough to prevent a list of 20 from NOW 2.

I have avoided artists on NOW 1 which means this will get more difficult. I have also included group members if I used the lead singer on Now One. 

NOW TWO

1. Brian May (b.1947)
  2. Nik Kershaw (b.1958)
  3. Nena (b.1960)
  4. Cyndi Lauper (b.1953)
  5. Matthew Wilder (b.1953)
  6. Joe Fagin (b.1940)
  7. Snowy White (b.1948)
  8. Holly Johnson (b.1960)
  9. Annie Lennox (b.1954)
  10. Morrissey (b.1959)
  11. Thomas Dolby (b.1958)
  12. Mick Jagger (b.1943)
  13. Noddy Holder (b.1946)
  14. Paul McCartney (b.1942)
  15. Carmel McCourt (b.1958)
  16. Tom Bailey (b.1956)
  17. Bruce Watson (b.1961)
  18. Jon Moss (b.1957)
  19. Nick Rhodes (b.1962)
  20. Dave Stewart (b.1952)

The three noticeable departed are David Bowie, Freddie Mercury and Stuart Adamson. 

5 hours ago, Bibliogryphon said:

Well despite the flurry of excitement on the exit of two lingering crowdsourced picks it has not occupied me enough to prevent a list of 20 from NOW 2.

I have avoided artists on NOW 1 which means this will get more difficult. I have also included group members if I used the lead singer on Now One. 

NOW TWO

1. Brian May (b.1947)
  2. Nik Kershaw (b.1958)
  3. Nena (b.1960)
  4. Cyndi Lauper (b.1953)
  5. Matthew Wilder (b.1953)
  6. Joe Fagin (b.1940)
  7. Snowy White (b.1948)
  8. Holly Johnson (b.1960)
  9. Annie Lennox (b.1954)
  10. Morrissey (b.1959)
  11. Thomas Dolby (b.1958)
  12. Mick Jagger (b.1943)
  13. Noddy Holder (b.1946)
  14. Paul McCartney (b.1942)
  15. Carmel McCourt (b.1958)
  16. Tom Bailey (b.1956)
  17. Bruce Watson (b.1961)
  18. Jon Moss (b.1957)
  19. Nick Rhodes (b.1962)
  20. Dave Stewart (b.1952)

The three noticeable departed are David Bowie, Freddie Mercury and Stuart Adamson. 

Joe Fagin - totally forgotten him, fond of a snack and a chaser as I understand.

Anyone had sight of him lately?

49 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

Joe Fagin - totally forgotten him, fond of a snack and a chaser as I understand.

Anyone had sight of him lately?

According to Wiki he now trains drivers for the armed forces

2 hours ago, Bibliogryphon said:

According to Wiki he now trains drivers for the armed forces

That's makin' a livin' alright!

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

Thomas Dolby tweeting from hospital

Looks a picture of health.

• Like 1

On 29/10/2018 at 17:12, Sir Creep said:

That's 3 members of Molly Hatchet in about 18 months.  Drugs much?
Edit: Noting that I saw MH in I believe Summer of 1982, so Farrar may well have been the vocalist at that time.  Also noting I will now be labeled, so please note that I went to see Rainbow/Blackmore and MH was tagging along.
SC

Another Molly Hatchet member has gone in the form of Phil McCormack.

1 hour ago, Joey Russ said:

Another Molly Hatchet member has gone in the form of Phil McCormack.

"In recent years, fans have mourned the loss of several former bandmembers, including frontman Danny Joe Brown, who died in 2005; original guitarist Duane Roland in 2006; original drummer Bruce Crump in 2015; bassist Banner Thomas in April 2017, original guitarist Dave Hlubek in 2017; and frontman Jimmy Farrar in October 2018."

Jeesh.

Sylvain Sylvain from New York Dolls is receiving treatment for cancer. There is a GoFundMe page which offers very little information as to where on his body, or even how minor or severe it is.

On 27/04/2019 at 23:56, Phantom said:

Sylvain Sylvain from New York Dolls is receiving treatment for cancer. There is a GoFundMe page which offers very little information as to where on his body, or even how minor or severe it is.

The news is getting out:

http://www.brooklynvegan.com/new-york-dolls-sylvain-sylvain-diagnosed-with-cancer-gofundme-launched/

I like how they say that it's going well, but the gofundme says that he's been fighting it for a year and that the upcoming surgery "may" do the trick...