maryportfuncity

Dead Pop Stars

Michael Bolton has to cancel concerts in doctor's orders and needs to get treatment:

https://www.smoothradio.com/news/music/michael-bolton-gig-cancel-illness-doctor-treatment/

Also, band Alabama has had to cancel a string of concerts in July and now in August again, because of the health issues of lead singer Randy Owen:

https://www.wideopencountry.com/alabama-cancels-tour-dates-randy-owen/

Re Michael Bolton, not only that but he was supposed to be headlining Rewind Festival in Henley today. (One of the many reasons why I didn't go this year!)

They only announced this morning that he wouldn't be appearing, despite assuring festival goers (who have been asking since Thursday) that he would.

Been replaced by Mike Scott aka The Waterboys, who would be more to my taste, but frankly not a headline act. 

The whole line-up is poor, not to say there aren't some decent acts but too much repetition. 

The Saturday headliner was the Four Tops (or if we are being honest, the One Top), not exactly a name that springs to mind for an 80s music festival. :rolleyes:

• Like 2

One of the middling bands signed to Factory Records and part of the Madchester scene were Northside.

Timmy Walsh, guitarist with the band, reported dead:

They reached #32 in the UK charts in November 1990 with My Rising Star:

Katreese Barnes, two-time Emmy Winner as the music director for Saturday Night Live died earlier this month at the age of 56. Posting here as not only did she co-write some of The Lonely Island's early stuff (most notably "Dick In A Box"), but she was one-half of 80s R&B duo Juicy, who were of course sampled by The Notorious BIG for the song of the same name:

10 minutes ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Katreese Barnes, two-time Emmy Winner as the music director for Saturday Night Live died earlier this month at the age of 56. Posting here as not only did she co-write some of The Lonely Island's early stuff (most notably "Dick In A Box"), but she was one-half of 80s R&B duo Juicy, who were of course sampled by The Notorious BIG for the song of the same name:

#45 not a bad showing for that 1980s generica.

Passed me by, generally if they didn't make Top 40, I'd not have paid attention.

• Like 1

French dance producer and right-hand man of David Guetta, Fred Rister, dead. Multiple DDP pick, should QO considering his discography (produced "I Gotta Feeling" for Black Eyed Peas among other stuff).

34 minutes ago, Spade_Cooley said:

French dance producer and right-hand man of David Guetta, Fred Rister, dead. Multiple DDP pick, should QO considering his discography (produced "I Gotta Feeling" for Black Eyed Peas among other stuff).

I thought he was an obit risk when I removed him from the shortlist for the DDP, though I thought he’d last longer after I found out it was kidney cancer after the New Years, and it seemed like he quit treatment for it being to debilitating rather than being near the end of his life!

4 hours ago, Spade_Cooley said:

I believe msc and I have a friendly wager kicking in on this one.   Imperative Rister died for me to have a DDP top 10 chance.  Obit forthcoming.

SC

Son of a...

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, msc said:

Son of a...

Go out and smash it. Like OH MY GOD.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, msc said:

Son of a...

While I admit I DO feel badly for your theme team, I do believe you owe me 5 pounds of coffee or sumptin

Hah, feels nice to finally have a DDP hit who isn't a Drop 40 and/or a contender consensus pick. I now actually moved up on the scoreboard! :lol:

Never really doubted he'd QO. Certainly more of a 'behind the scenes' name, but he helped produce so many hit pop songs and was David Guetta's BFF, so I knew his death would get picked up somewhere.

Not sure how it works @RadGuy but last I looked I was 17th.  Add a Rister QO and I see I’m 21st.  :wacko:

40 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

Not sure how it works @RadGuy but last I looked I was 17th.  Add a Rister QO and I see I’m 21st.  :wacko:

Believe you were in 21st after Blanco died. You’re in 16th place now. Congrats 

Apparently I’m starting a new lazy trend here, taking pic of newscast lol.  It’s 5am so pound sand!   GL searching it.

D1FB71B8-CA38-455A-B397-CF8D1B885FB6.jpeg

On 22/09/2018 at 14:10, alt obits guy said:

Couldn't find any corroborating information but, according to a single Facebook post from earlier this month, Rick Evans, of the one-hit wonder duo Zager and Evans, died earlier this year.

Nearly a year after I posted this, a second reference to the death of Rick Evans can be added.  According to this article, published July 22nd of this year, Evans died in February 2018 near Santa Fe, New Mexico .

https://journalstar.com/entertainment/music/remembering-rick-evans-and-in-the-year/article_ecc6ae95-7a9e-5fcc-b3a2-54a3eccc6796.html

• Thanks 1

Dude, why do you never say their name? 

• Like 1

Reports coming in of the death of Les Adams, who as L.A. Mix had several singles out in the late 80s, early 90s.

UK #6 Check This Out (1988)

7 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

UK #6 Check This Out (1988)

I've checked it out, and it's just a cacophony of irritating noises.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

3 minutes ago, Toast said:

I've checked it out, and it's just a cacophany of irritating noises.

I guess when you listened you weren't off your head on acid in a big barn full of flashing lights, wearing your roller skates and a Smiley badge. :lol:

I'm afraid that's how most mixes of that era went over my head, because I never did that. Never said it was a classic, and can't imagine the kids from that time ever finding themselves later humming them while waiting to pick the kids up from school.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

46 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

I guess when you listened you weren't off your head on acid in a big barn full of flashing lights, wearing your roller skates and a Smiley badge. :lol:

I'm afraid that's how most mixes of that era went over my head, because I never did that. Never said it was a classic, and can't imagine the kids from that time ever finding themselves later humming them while waiting to pick the kids up from school.

I still play old rave music sometimes when I'm doing the housework, although I no longer take the drugs to go with it, so somehow I struggle to capture that euphoric rush of the old days when I'm emptying the dishwasher.:)

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, DevonDeathTrip said:

I still play old rave music sometimes when I'm doing the housework, although I no longer take the drugs to go with it, so somehow I struggle to capture that euphoric rush of the old days when I'm emptying the dishwasher.:)

Like this you mean? :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 28/02/2013 at 21:56, Vinegar Tits said:

Daniel Darc, singer of 80s French synth band Taxi Girl (they toured over here with the Stranglers) est mort. Drink and drugs suspected.

Laurent Sinclair, founding member and keyboardist of Taxi Girl, est aussi mort aged 58.