maryportfuncity

Dead Pop Stars

So many suicides this year... I guess world is becoming more depressive with each year.

1 hour ago, Tower1 said:

So many suicides this year... I guess world is becoming more depressive with each year.

Let's hope so

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

Aw man, saw them and actually met them backstage - REALLY nice guys and in it for all the right reasons

• Like 2

22 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

I'm not on DeathList much now but that's yet another musical legend gone

Just one of those nice songs that gives you a nice feeling every time you hear it

They were clearly not musical megastars, just honest guys who could write a good song with melody, emotion and feeling

Given all the recent deaths this past couple days, would be easy to overlook Iain Sutherland's death so worth remembering anyway

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Weebl said:

I'm not on DeathList much now but that's yet another musical legend gone

Just one of those nice songs that gives you a nice feeling every time you hear it

They were clearly not musical megastars, just honest guys who could write a good song with melody, emotion and feeling

Given all the recent deaths this past couple days, would be easy to overlook Iain Sutherland's death so worth remembering anyway

Indeed - his brother Gavin remains alive and might well get more coverage as and when if only because Gavin wrote Sailing (i.e. the Rod Stewart hit).

Oddly, Stewart's version - widely taken as being about a guy sailing back to his lover - probably completely misunderstands Gavin Sutherland's original idea that the song is about life's spiritual journey and the whole sailing over the sea thing is metaphorical. I get his cosmic intentions but he's obviously pragmatic enough to have accepted the ensuing avalanche of cash when it arrived

• Like 1

On 03/01/2019 at 10:00, DevonDeathTrip said:
On 11/12/2017 at 23:11, DevonDeathTrip said:

Keyboard maestro Richard Tandy, the member of the Electric Light Orchestra who isn't Jeff Lynne, was absent from the band's last tour due to an unspecified illness, which provoked some speculation on fan sites.    

TANDYmorganfirmando.jpg

A rare recent photo of Richard Tandy (L) from November...

Jeff Lynne's ELO is on BBC4 at 10.35 this evening. It was recorded about three weeks ago. Radio Times has a promo pic.

https://www.radiotimes.com/tv-programme/e/jtcnv2/radio-2-in-concert--episode-1-jeff-lynnes-elo-radio-2-in-concert/

ELO.jpg

Form spotting guide for Richard Tandy

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, alt obits guy said:

Andrew 'Greedy' Smith, founding member of the Australian pop/rock group Mental as Anything, has died.  He was 63.

https://www.smh.com.au/culture/music/mental-as-anything-s-greedy-smith-dies-aged-63-20191203-p53gbn.html

1987/2023 list updated.

Bit of a shock, wrote their biggest UK hit.

On 22/03/2019 at 15:14, Joey Russ said:

Herb Cox of The Cleftones has entered a memory care residence, and a Gofundme page has been set up for him...

Facebook seems to have Herb Cox as dead...

21 minutes ago, TomTomTelekom said:

I'm deeply saddened by this. I've first heard her music in a Russian mobile network provider commercial and then in an old Efes Pilsner beer ad. Rest in peace.

7 minutes ago, Spade_Cooley said:

We lost her somehow.

We're living without.

4 minutes ago, redrumours said:

We're living without.

'Til the time had run out.

Seriously, this sucks.  They were big when I was growing up in the early 90's.  RIP.  

4 minutes ago, MrWonderful said:

Seriously, this sucks.  They were big when I was growing up in the early 90's.  RIP.  

Same here. Late 80s childhood memories, first parties, shouting out "And she goes Nanananana... she's got the look!" outside the windows!

I'm a little sad now :(

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Book said:

Same here. Childhood memories, first parties, shouting out "And she goes Nanananana... she's got the look!" outside the windows!

So much to mention, but you can't find the words...

This one's a shock - think Pointless at the weekend had a pop duos picture board and Roxette were on it and I couldn't remember her name - now she's dead.

I don't know where you're going and I don't know why, RIP

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Book said:

Same here. Late 80s childhood memories, first parties, shouting out "And she goes Nanananana... she's got the look!" outside the windows!

yes, big loss and terrible news :( Roxette succeeded when I was starting to get into music (12-15 years old) and for a while it was my favourite band beside Phil Collins. I moved on to other things, but sometimes I listen to them for the memories. Now, as their song said, "things will never be the same".

• Like 3

Very sad news.

It must have been life, but it's over now ....  :(

So I'm searching DL cuz I KNOW I heard her name recently and couldn't place it.  Nope, nothing here.
Then I get a response from my Facebook post saying her death was unexpected.  The guy who was in 3rd place in my wee deadpool I admin says 'NOT unexpected check the lists'..... 
HE HAD HER on his list, and catapulted into first place by a few points with 20 days to go.  I'm going to pick his brain cuz he clearly found some info and ran with it.  And to him I say well done!  Just a fantastic hit in the world of deadpooling. :bow:   Only one I've had better in my DP is some guy who had Robin WIlliams.  

Oh - for fuxsake - ok, *hangs head :( sulking to appease everyone here* aye REAL sad news. *looks up to make sure everyone is buying it*

21 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

So I'm searching DL cuz I KNOW I heard her name recently and couldn't place it.  Nope, nothing here.
Then I get a response from my Facebook post saying her death was unexpected.  The guy who was in 3rd place in my wee deadpool I admin says 'NOT unexpected check the lists'..... 
HE HAD HER on his list, and catapulted into first place by a few points with 20 days to go.  I'm going to pick his brain cuz he clearly found some info and ran with it.  And to him I say well done!  Just a fantastic hit in the world of deadpooling. :bow:   Only one I've had better in my DP is some guy who had Robin WIlliams.  

Oh - for fuxsake - ok, *hangs head :( sulking to appease everyone here* aye REAL sad news. *looks up to make sure everyone is buying it*

Not exactly a shot in the dark.  She'd been ill on and off for years, and her last tour was cancelled because of her poor health.