maryportfuncity

Dead Pop Stars

Not unexpected but very sad news. Great singer, and Roxette were surprisingly excellent live. A big loss. RIP Marie. 

• Like 2

Sad news, a great part of the late 80s/early 90s music scene and she was certainly a looker back in the day.

Wow, I can’t believe she’s gone :(. I listened to a lot of her songs back when I was young. RIP.

Quite sad. I thought she had recovered for good as she did a little touring here and there.

6 hours ago, gcreptile said:

Quite sad. I thought she had recovered for good as she did a little touring here and there.

My sister saw Roxette on the last tour they did in Australia a few years back. She said Marie was in great voice but was *incredibly* frail, needing help getting on and off stage, and also had (known) memory problems - as well as the brain tumour/cancer affecting her sight and hearing, she was also unable to read afterwards so a teleprompter couldn't be used.  Still a fantastic gig though, and there was a lot of love for Marie for being such a trouper in spite of her obvious fragile health.

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

4 hours ago, Toast said:

Not exactly a shot in the dark.  She'd been ill on and off for years, and her last tour was cancelled because of her poor health.

It was probably only reported on the BBC, so easily missed.

• Like 1

Jerry Naylor, former lead vocalist for The Crickets from 1961-65 has died at the age of 80

• Sad 2

7 hours ago, Vinegar Tits said:

Not unexpected but very sad news. Great singer, and Roxette were surprisingly excellent live. A big loss. RIP Marie. 

What is the name for the phenomenon where a band is called by a girl's name or nickname which is not in fact her name or nickname, but everyone assumes it is?
I''m thinking of Roxette, Blondie, and there must be others.

8 hours ago, Phantom said:

Jerry Naylor, former lead vocalist for The Crickets from 1961-65 has died at the age of 80

According to Wiki.
And THAT is according to... ?  Whoever the unknown Jase19348 is (see below).   I was unaware that 'personal knowledge' is a basis for editing Wiki.  
So far Google says it's bullshit.  Sir Creep isn't saying one way or another, he's just saying nothing on Google three days hence, and some person says 'personal knowledge' to do a Wiki edit.  SirC waiting for something more, is all.

Latest instagram post by Greg Gilbert, confirming that because of a genetic mutation his current treatment is his only chance, but well, if it works, it works!

Jack Scott has died at the age of 83

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Roy Loney, former lead vocalist and guitarist for The Flamin' Groovies has died

On 17/02/2019 at 18:56, drol said:

Gershon Kingsley?

Legendary electronic pioneer of Popcorn fame Gershon Kingsley has died at 97.

• Sad 2

56 minutes ago, drol said:

The morning is fresh where I am but this news has killed my good Moog.

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, drol said:

Lived long enough to see the likes of BBC Six Music celebrating his impact on the industry. Much of his work once considered novelty is now respected and sampled

The reclusive Rollo Armstrong of Faithless casually mention in this article that he's fully recovered from a bout of lung cancer.   

On 25/03/2019 at 21:59, msc said:

Brian Travers of UB40 has brain cancer.

About to jump ship to ESA1?

Brian Travers had two brain tumours removed surgically, and is now about to go on his 2nd bout of double chemo to deal with his cancer.

Nothing UK based here but report of the death of Marty Grebb, US Musician who was a keyboardist of The Buckinghams during their most successful period and later toured with Bonnie Raitt as a member of her band: https://slippedisc.com/2020/01/musicians-mourn-marty-74/

Kind Of A Drag (US Billboard #1 - 1967) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hq1fpN1qWv8

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, YoungWillz said:

Ah, The Shadows SHADOWS.

• Like 1