maryportfuncity

Dead Pop Stars

I keep notes on everyone who's had a #1 hit for my #1 Hits DDP team, but didn't spend much time on Chicory Tip due to their flimsy obitability. My only note on Barry was "bloated racist, poss heart attack?". Anyway R.I.P.

Essential early 2000s "student cocktail bar DJ wants to show everyone how deep his crate-digging knowledge" core. Up there with the extended version of "You Make Me Feel" and anything from the Blue Note New Orleans funk compilation. 

Julian Lennon has a touch of the old malignant skin cancer, with test results yet to come to see how malignant it is after surgery.

Guitarist/composer/filmmaker Ivan Kral died yesterday aged 71. He worked extensively with Patti Smith, but also with Iggy Pop, Mick Ronson, John Cale amongst others.

• Sad 1

On 02/02/2020 at 16:31, msc said:

Julian Lennon has a touch of the old malignant skin cancer, with test results yet to come to see how malignant it is after surgery.

Update: the surgery went well and was able to remove all the cancer before it spread.

• Like 1

On 02/02/2020 at 10:31, msc said:

Nobody told him there'd be days like these.

• Like 2

Former Funkadelic guitarist Harold Beane has died aged 73. Played guitar, wrote chunks of the songs, and even sang on America Eats Its Young.

• Sad 1

At least she lived long enough to hear one of her songs turned into an actual banger.

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

Lynn Evans (Mand) singer with The Chordettes who had a smattering of UK hits in the 1950s, dead at 95: https://chroniclet.com/news/201619/lynn-evans-mand/?fbclid=IwAR0sbWNzfuZas4Q_glDf5Dw0lKlnmkUg7PlKACBPPbynJKSI3m5MsFEPnaA

Here's Lollipop and Mr Sandman (Lynn gets a quick word individually).

Incredibly there are two of them still alive.

So can anyone supply the following info:

Oldest living artist to have a UK No1?

Oldest No1 song by an artist/band with a still living member?

7 minutes ago, Arsewipe said:

Pretty sure Vera Lynn is your answer to question  one.

And possibly question two, too.

10 minutes ago, Arsewipe said:

I would imagine it's Vera Lynn to both

5 minutes ago, Octopus of Odstock said:

I would imagine it's Vera Lynn to both

Yeah, and when she dies - it'll be Elvis!

• Haha 1

On 07/02/2020 at 01:09, msc said:

Former Funkadelic guitarist Harold Beane has died aged 73. Played guitar, wrote chunks of the songs, and even sang on America Eats Its Young.

Aye, so - our list of the lost radio show (first one of 2021 featuring the talent lost in 2020) has a bit of a dilemma here. My best guess is that a fitting tribute is to play a section including the guitar solo on Walk on By from Hot Buttered Soul by Isaac Hayes - but not play the whole 12 minute track. 

59 minutes ago, Arsewipe said:

To answer both the best I can...

1) Nobody knows, many bands in the 50s/60s simply had one or two hits then faded into obscurity so the bios of all members including DOB isn't known. Of those that are known, Vera Lynn b. March 1917, is the obvious go to answer.

2) Of whom we're certain to be alive: Vera Lynn (24th UK No.1), then Tony Bennett (32nd UK No. 1), and then Joey Ambrose (39th UK No. 1, as part of Billy Haley & his Comets). 

Though there is one group who has members that are thus far unaccounted for...

The Stargazers (7th & 17th UK No. 1) had a female member called Marie Benson (born 30 April 1926 in Australia) who I can't locate a death date for. It is possible she is still alive aged 93. I can't find any details on another member, David Carey. Of the others who sang on their UK No. 1 singles: Dick James died in 1986, Cliff Adams in 2001, Fred Datchler in 2001, and Ronnie Milne, as recently as 2014 aged 92.

• Like 1

Dave Carey died in 2015:

https://www.theargus.co.uk/announcements/deaths/deaths/13982435.Dave_Carey/

I found a forum thread about Marie Benson while researching for my #1 Hits DDP team, which included a post saying this:

"I came across your post today regarding Marie Benson. She is my Great Aunt. All you information on her is great. Aunty Marie taught me how to sing jazz in my 20s and we became very close. She unfortunatley passed away in 2003."

(Another two posters also claim to be relatives after that, neither of whom contradict that account.)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, machotrouts said:

Dave Carey died in 2015:

https://www.theargus.co.uk/announcements/deaths/deaths/13982435.Dave_Carey/

I found a forum thread about Marie Benson while researching for my #1 Hits DDP team, which included a post saying this:

"I came across your post today regarding Marie Benson. She is my Great Aunt. All you information on her is great. Aunty Marie taught me how to sing jazz in my 20s and we became very close. She unfortunatley passed away in 2003."

(Another two posters also claim to be relatives after that, neither of whom contradict that account.)

Amazing finds! Danke

There are 6 living people who had a hit when there were only 12 songs on the UK charts:

• Vera Lynn b.1917 (a bunch of dreary waltzes, no offence to our Vera)
  • Ray Anthony b.1922 (Dragnet, #7 in Dec '53)
  • Teddie Chinery b.1927 (I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus, #6 in Dec '53)
  • Ronnie Harris b.1928? (The Story of Tina, debuted at #12 in final week of this chart, Sep '54)
  • Joni James b.1930 (Why Don't You Believe Me?, #11 in Mar '53)
  • Petula Clark b.1932 (The Little Shoemaker, #7 in Jul '54)

Doris Day was the the most recent loss from this cohort.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1