maryportfuncity

Dead Pop Stars

15 hours ago, maryportfuncity said:

Aye, so - our list of the lost radio show 

?????????????

On 18/02/2020 at 10:00, Sir Creep said:

?????????????

The first radio show of every year is a List of the Lost special where we mark the death of our kind of artists in the previous year. So this year the script already has a Rush track and we'll likely edit the final three or four minutes of Isaac Hayes' Walk on By to get that Harold Beane guitar solo. 

On the other hand, Maria Carey can do what she likes up to and including a spectacular death and we'll continue to ignore her entire output - unless she does something like adding guest vocals to the next album by Scrotum Squasher!

• Haha 1

Set the questions for a pub quiz at the end of last year, the music round was "artists who died in 2019". None of the teams (comprised of people aged 25-40) recognised The Cars.

2 hours ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Set the questions for a pub quiz at the end of last year, the music round was "artists who died in 2019". None of the teams (comprised of people aged 25-40) recognised The Cars.

My car died - briefly - in 2019, a squirt of good old WD-40 sorted the problem (maybe they should've tried that on Rick Ocasek) 

3 hours ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Did everyone just ignore The Cars and their music as time passed on - and Ric passed away.

3 hours ago, Genfærd said:

Did everyone just ignore The Cars and their music as time passed on - and Ric passed away.

You Might Think. 

• Like 1

Crazy Cavan passed away at the weekend at the age of 70. Just a few days shy of his birthday

Greg Gilbert had some long-awaited scan results, some spread, but no vital organs affected. Could be worse after 9 months off treatment, but oh, he's going to be watched by us some more. 

• Sad 2

Since when were the lungs not an organ?

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Toast said:

Since when were the lungs not an organ?

Or a vital one for that matter? 

1 hour ago, ObakeFilter said:

Mazzy Star’s co-founder David Roback has died aged 61.
https://pitchfork.com/news/mazzy-stars-david-roback-dead-at-61

Sad.  I'd go as far as to say that Fade Into You might have been the greatest five minutes of the mid 90s.

• Like 4

Fucking awful.  Gutted.  

I remember buying The Rain Parade's debut while on  a school trip to Bristol in 1983. I loved trying to copy the guitar style and sound, and Winterset even covered You Are My Friend once. RIP David, I really hope it's not another suicide, a thought that has plagued me for the past two years. 

Been pretty bored as of late and I fancy a challenge.

I'm considering pulling up information on all 50s/60s (may eventually extend to the 70s too) artists who had top 75 hit singles in the UK and researching their fate. Nobody online has sufficiently "covered this" and Guinness/Virgin have long since stopped publishing their reference books (the last one, from about a decade ago, is outdated and full of clumsy errors).

I may create a new thread for this as it'll be extensive, and I'll work my way through the alphabet. There is little to no information on some acts (primarily domestic ones e.g. Liverpudlian groups that had one minor hit) but I think that's where others may be able to help. Is this something people would find interesting and wish to help collaborate on? If so I'll get started this evening.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I may be able to help regarding some of the minor acts.

• Like 1

I'll chip in if I can, got a lot of crap swimming around on lists and in my head, in my head, zombie, zombie.....eh eh eh eh.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Been pretty bored as of late and I fancy a challenge.

I'm considering pulling up information on all 50s/60s (may eventually extend to the 70s too) artists who had top 75 hit singles in the UK and researching their fate. Nobody online has sufficiently "covered this" and Guinness/Virgin have long since stopped publishing their reference books (the last one, from about a decade ago, is outdated and full of clumsy errors).

I may create a new thread for this as it'll be extensive, and I'll work my way through the alphabet. There is little to no information on some acts (primarily domestic ones e.g. Liverpudlian groups that had one minor hit) but I think that's where others may be able to help. Is this something people would find interesting and wish to help collaborate on? If so I'll get started this evening.

I've been listening to every song in the UK charts for about 4 months. The main reason was insanity just to listen to a wider variety of music, but I have been recording the known death dates of everyone so far (about 150 people). I've only done 1952-55 though and am not in any rush.

• Like 2

Original Supreme Barbara Martin reported dead aged 76

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

23 minutes ago, time said:

Original Supreme Barbara Martin reported dead aged 76

Gawd bless her, appeared on early non-hits and the first album Meet The Supremes, which she never even got on the cover as she had left to have her family.

Might have appeared on some backing tracks for other artists though.

Jonty SkruFFF, a dance music producer/DJ, music journalist and radio presenter, died March 6th.  His death appears to have been first reported March 20th.  Born Jonathan Adderley, his death was reported by his longtime partner, Fidelity Kastrow (I'm sure there's a joke in there, somewhere).

https://www.billboard.com/articles/news/dance/9338640/jonty-skrufff-influential-dj-journalist-and-dance-world-figure-dies