maryportfuncity

Dead Pop Stars

Somehow I thought he was dead for some time....

"Ain't no Sunshine" has some biographical meaning to me. I also like Use Me, mainly the Grace Jones version, but the original isn't bad either.

• Like 1

There’s a a Just The One Of Us joke in here somewhere.

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Lard Bazaar said:

There’s a a Just The One Of Us joke in here somewhere.

I genuinely lol'd at that.

Mind you, I am getting off my tits at the moment so it may not be as funny as I think.:D

• Haha 1

Christopher Cross, artist best known for Sailing has covid-19

6 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

Best known in the U.S. for Sailing. Better known around the world for Arthur's Theme. The former wasn't really a hit outside the States upon release.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

‘It is the night
My body's weak....’

If he was on the list it would be possibly the first time his actual name could be the headline- Bill Withers ! 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Best known in the U.S. for Sailing. Better known around the world for Arthur's Theme. The former wasn't really a hit outside the States upon release.

I'd say Ride Like the Wind is more famous in the UK than Sailing, too.

6 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

Report that family reporting that Bill Withers has died of heart complications: https://www.sfchronicle.com/news/us/article/Alert-Family-says-Lean-on-Me-15176618.php

It feels like we've almost reached the point of "he/she was ripped limb from limb by lions before falling into a vat of acid, but phew, at least it wasn't covid-19"

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Author of the best anti-Vietnam song I ever heard. I was blown away the first time I heard "Cant write left handed", a song that had nothing to do with the politics of war but the raw reality of those who came out scarred out of that bloody conflict. Those who are maimed forever. The story about how someone who never meant any harm to his fellow man could not write a letter to his mom.

The full text.
"We recorded this song on October the 6th. Since then the war's been declared over. If you're like me you'll remember it like anybody remembers any war: one big drag. Lot of people write songs about wars and government... Very social things. But I think about young guys who were like I was when I was young. I had no more idea about any government, or political things or anything. And I think about those kind of young guys now who all of a sudden somebody comes up, and they're very law-abiding, so if somebody says go they don't ask any questions they just go. And I can remember not too long ago seeing a young guy with his right arm gone. Just got back. And I asked him how he was doing. He said he was doing all right now but he had thought he was gonna die. He said getting shot at didn't bother him, it was getting shot that shook him up. And I tried to put myself in his position. Maybe he cried, maybe he said..."

I can't write left handed
Would you please write a letter to my mother
Tell her to tell the family lawyer
Try to get a deferment for my younger brother

Tell the Reverend Harris to pray for me, lord, lord, lord
I ain't gonna live, I don't believe I'm going to live to get much older
Strange little man over here in Vietnam, I ain't never seen
Bless his heart I ain't never done nothin' to, he done shot me in my shoulder

Boot camp we had classes
You know we talked about fightin', fightin' everyday
And lookin' through rosy, rosy colored glasses
I must admit it seemed exciting anyway
But something that day overlooked to tell me
Bullet look better I must say
Rather when they comin' at you.
But go without the other way

And please call up the Reverend Harris
And tell him to ask the lord to do some good things for me
Tell him, I ain't gonna live, I ain't gonna live, I ain't gonna live to get much older
Strange little man over here in Vietnam, I ain't never seen, bless his heart I
Ain't never done nothing to, he done shot me in my shoulder

3 hours ago, harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy said:

It feels like we've almost reached the point of "he/she was ripped limb from limb by lions before falling into a vat of acid, but phew, at least it wasn't covid-19"

Few posters on here who could do with being ripped limb from limb by lions before falling into a vat of acid tbf. 

Report of the death of Carl Dobkins Jr, more successful Stateside with My Heart Is An Open Book by the late Lee Pockriss, but hey as it turns out he had a UK#44 in April 1960 with Lucky Devil:

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Report of the death of Carl Dobkins Jr, more successful Stateside with My Heart Is An Open Book by the late Lee Pockriss, but hey as it turns out he had a UK#44 in April 1960 with Lucky Devil:

Just added him to "D" on the UK Hit Singles thread. Turns out I missed him, d'oh! His section was so small in the book I'm using I must have skimmed over it accidentally.

Now I wonder if he'll obit...

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Just added him to "D" on the UK Hit Singles thread. Turns out I missed him, d'oh! His section was so small in the book I'm using I must have skimmed over it accidentally.

Now I wonder if he'll obit...

He'll obit somewhere, unlikely in the UK press who have ignored #1 selling popsters. :banghead:

Only a week in the UK chart.

10 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

He'll obit somewhere, unlikely in the UK press who have ignored #1 selling popsters. :banghead:

Only a week in the UK chart.

Yeah, I was just saying to maryportfuncity, Evans of Zager and Evans and Les Chadwick of Gerry and the Pacemakers are prime examples. To this date, still no mention in the UK press (discounting the Liverpool Echo for the latter).

I sent news of Diana Decker's death (UK #2) to two publications, probably the Guardian and the Telegraph. I think the Guardian responded saying her death was "too long ago now for us to cover", and the Telegraph just ignored me completely [note, this is why I don't really take part in the DDP, I would just end up cheating].

She got a mention on the Oscars In Memoriam website later in the year too. I'm still grumpy about the whole thing.

Steve Farmer, guitarist for the Amboy Dukes (which was also the band that kicked off the career of very unpleasant twat 70s rock star Ted Nugent) is dead at 71

On 11/04/2020 at 13:34, Ulitzer95 said:

Yeah, I was just saying to maryportfuncity, Evans of Zager and Evans and Les Chadwick of Gerry and the Pacemakers are prime examples. To this date, still no mention in the UK press (discounting the Liverpool Echo for the latter).

I sent news of Diana Decker's death (UK #2) to two publications, probably the Guardian and the Telegraph. I think the Guardian responded saying her death was "too long ago now for us to cover", and the Telegraph just ignored me completely [note, this is why I don't really take part in the DDP, I would just end up cheating].

She got a mention on the Oscars In Memoriam website later in the year too. I'm still grumpy about the whole thing.

Nearly a decade ago, a historian I knew who was regarded as *the* expert on the history of British ports died and in the end I offered an obit to 3 or 4 newspapers, all of whom turned it down on notability. And that guy was in Who's Who, but clearly not as notable as some mum from Birmingham with cancer.

• Like 1

On 12/04/2020 at 14:16, msc said:

Nearly a decade ago, a historian I knew who was regarded as *the* expert on the history of British ports died and in the end I offered an obit to 3 or 4 newspapers, all of whom turned it down on notability. And that guy was in Who's Who, but clearly not as notable as some mum from Birmingham with cancer.

I sent a letter to the journalist who authored the original piece on Hilda Hansen, Britain’s 6th generation GGGGGrandmother.  The article was reposted in 3-4 publications.  (I have since lost or deleted the response or would repost).  She wrote me back saying she was no longer working for [the QO source that Published it] but that I could send it to [a writer who’s name she gave me] and that the news was sad to hear.  I passed the info to said writer and that was the last I heard.

SC

Carol Decker is reporting that Scott Taylor, original guitarist with Then Jerico, is dead from a brain tumour:

Awaiting the usual.

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, YoungWillz said:

Carol Decker is reporting that Scott Taylor, original guitarist with Then Jerico, is dead from a brain tumour:

Awaiting the usual.

Shame. Then Jerico had some great choons.

Look at Decker being all me-me-me:  "I wrote 2 fabulous songs with him"

Piss off, dear.

• Like 1

On 01/12/2015 at 02:31, YoungWillz said:

Ronnie Bright, US singer who sang bass in such groups as The Coasters and The Valentines, has died at the age of 77. http://www.vintagevinylnews.com/2015/11/passings-ronnie-bright-of-cadillacs.html

He is however best known as the Bass Man on Johnny Cymbal's hit, Mr Bass Man: https://youtu.be/nZr8iReEqMQ

Another of The Coasters has died. Young Jessie, real name Obediah "Obie" Jessie, died on 27th April aged 83.

His stint with the group was brief. However, he also had a successful career as a solo R&B artist and was a member of The Flairs.

Young_Jessie1.jpg.3469efa24fc2c1cfee555a42540d7d83.jpg

• Sad 1

Judy Collins is 81 today. :party:

Still very active from what I can tell and looking good. Wouldn't be surprised if she lived into her 90s.

--------------------------------------------------

Also, Rita Coolidge turns 75.

One of those singers that the Americans make a big fuss over and bestow lots of awards on, but for anyone across the Pond we just know her for singing a mediocre Bond theme.