maryportfuncity

Dead Pop Stars

6 hours ago, Torva Messor said:

Robert Smith? Shaun Cassidy? Annie Lennox? Celine Dion? Bono?

Who tf is Shaun Cassidy?  Certainly not a household name in this household.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Toast said:

Apart from Bono possibly, none of those names listed are in the same league as my premonition. 

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

Brendan Bowyer, Irish showband "legend" and the first Irishman to top his country's charts, dead at 81. Also had a small band called "The Beatles" open for him in 1962.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Toast said:

Initially an American teen actor and singer of the late 1970s/early 1980s. Played Joe Hardy in the Hardy Boys TV series. Later became a writer/producer, with credits for the past 25 years, including the cult series American Gothic and the current series New Amsterdam.

37 minutes ago, alt obits guy said:

Initially an American teen actor and singer of the late 1970s/early 1980s. Played Joe Hardy in the Hardy Boys TV series. Later became a writer/producer, with credits for the past 25 years, including the cult series American Gothic and the current series New Amsterdam.

Somewhat far from the same league as Bowie, Prince et al then.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Toast said:

Somewhat far from the same league as Bowie, Prince et al then.

He's definitely in the same league.  If Bowie and Prince were like elite soccer/football players, he'd be one of those 9 year old kids they encircle the perimeter of the field with to shag errant balls.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Hmm, debated whether to put this here but I will.

Bob Kulick, who played guitar on several KISS albums and a couple of WASP albums, dead at 70: https://ultimateclassicrock.com/bob-kulick-dead/

Brother of Bruce Kulik who did become a member of KISS.

Now to the "meat" of the matter. Played guitar on Meat Loaf's Bad Attitude album, so therefore in turn played guitar on Meat's 1984 UK hit, Modern Girl. He wouldn't qualify for my TOTP theme team as he's effectively a backing session man for Meat Loaf. However, any excuse to put up this classic underrated piece of pure power from the (formerly) fat man.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

Hmm, debated whether to put this here but I will.

Bob Kulick, who played guitar on several KISS albums and a couple of WASP albums, dead at 70: https://ultimateclassicrock.com/bob-kulick-dead/

Brother of Bruce Kulik who did become a member of KISS.

Now to the "meat" of the matter. Played guitar on Meat Loaf's Bad Attitude album, so therefore in turn played guitar on Meat's 1984 UK hit, Modern Girl. He wouldn't qualify for my TOTP theme team as he's effectively a backing session man for Meat Loaf. However, any excuse to put up this classic underrated piece of pure power from the (formerly) fat man.

He also wrote "Sweet victory"  from the SpongeBob series:

https://nypost.com/2020/05/29/bob-kulick-kiss-guitarist-and-sweet-victory-writer-dead-at-70/?utm_source=reddit.com

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 28/05/2020 at 21:33, Miracle Aligner said:

I recently had a strong premonition we're going to get a massive pop star death in the next 14 days, likely from Covid but possibly undisclosed cancer. In the league of a Michael Jackson, David Bowie. Prince or Aretha Franklin or Whitney Houston and in there 50s or 60s. 

Sounds like Madonna

14 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Steve Priest of The Sweet being reported blitzed out of the ballroom - dead:

And Willz this is why I leave off my Poker team till the last day or two!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Steve Priest of The Sweet being reported blitzed out of the ballroom - dead:

I’m kind of stunned but seeing this recent picture of him, I’m not sure I ought to be. 

A9F6CB27-09F4-4458-BA0C-B73B81DFEB03.jpeg

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

I’m kind of stunned but seeing this recent picture of him, I’m not sure I ought to be. 

A9F6CB27-09F4-4458-BA0C-B73B81DFEB03.jpeg

Too many sweets!

• Like 2

The dam is broken: https://louderthanwar.com/steve-priest-the-sweet-guitarist-dies-aged-72/

Seen a statement from the family that he died 8:25am Pacific Time today, and that the family confirm his death.

100% to QO.

Edit: Mirror for the DDP: https://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/breaking-steve-priest-dead-sweet-22140353

I love that group.

As much as I do, however, I was always a tad appalled when I saw Steve on TV.

He was walking around like he did 40 years ago, complete with a 1973 style shit haircut.

You really cannot dress like that when you hit a ripe old age, it just looks wank, pop star or no pop star.

Just sayin, like.

That picture of Steve Priest above isn't very recent - it's around 10 years old. He lost a shedload of weight about two years ago.

Such sad news, especially as there'd been recent news that he was recovering from (certainly at the time non--Covid-related) pneumonia and was doing better.

Though I'm just slightly too young to remember The Sweet in their glam heyday, though do remember and liked at the time 'Love Is Like Oxygen', they were always my favourites of that era. In fact, I think I'd go as far as to say they were the best band not only of glam but of the early/mid 70s.  Superb, and their records still sound fantastic to this day (apart from Call Me, which was always shit). 

RIP Steve 

• Like 4

The Sweet was my favourite band and Desolation Boulevard (US version) was the first album I ever owned.  I was 12 or 13 and didn’t know shite about ‘glam’ or anything.  I just knew I loved them and the Chinn/Chapman writing and production.  But I was also proud of them for writing and producing Fox On The Run, proving they could do it on their own.  Them being glam was lagniappe.  
RIP - your biggest fan who never saw you live.  
Sir Creep

• Like 3

Suicide Watch Candidate Azelia Bank's wiki page everyone.... 

Banks has developed a reputation for disputes with public figures on social media,[5] particularly Twitter, with Complex noting that "she gets more attention for her public feuds than she does for her music".[4] Banks has had feuds with people including Pabllo Vittar, Grimes, Elon Musk,[100] Remy Ma,[101] Cardi B, Kim Kardashian, Kanye West, Lorde, Lana Del Rey, Charli XCX, Lady Gaga, T.I., Iggy Azalea, Action Bronson, Lil' Kim, Skai Jackson, Rita Ora, Kendrick Lamar, Pharrell Williams, Erykah Badu, Kreayshawn, Rihanna, ASAP Rocky, Baauer, Nicki Minaj, Sia, Dominique Young Unique, Jim Jones, Beyoncé, Angel Haze, Lily Allen, RZA, SZA, Rico Nasty, Lupe Fiasco, Eminem, RuPaul, Perez Hilton, Nick Cannon, Diplo, Shea Coulee, Funkmaster Flex, The Stone Roses, K. Michelle, Shystie, Amanda Brunker, Troy Carter, Cupcakke, Mariah Lynn, DC Young Fly,[102] Disclosure, Lizzo, Kim Petras, Slayyyter, Adrian Grenier, Busta Rhymes, Anthony Fantano, Dave Chappelle and Wendy Williams, among others.[103][104]

On September 22, 2015, Banks became involved in a confrontation with a fellow passenger and the flight crew while attempting to exit a Delta Air Lines flight that had just landed in Los Angeles. According to witnesses, Banks was attempting to squeeze past other passengers to disembark the plane more quickly, when a French man blocked her path. Banks reacted by spitting in the man's face, punching him, and clawing at his shirt. Subsequently, a flight attendant stepped in and demanded that Banks calm down. This resulted in Banks forcefully arguing with the flight attendant, in which she at one point called the Delta employee a "fucking faggot".[105] On November 10, 2015, it was reported Banks was under investigation by the Los Angeles Police Department following an altercation involving the rapper and a security guard at L.A. club Break Room 86.[106] Later that year, Banks was arrested in New York after attacking a female security guard.[107]

In March 2016, Sarah Palin threatened a lawsuit against Banks in response to a series of tweets where she attacked the politician, calling for "the biggest burliest blackest negroes" to "run a train on her", and for someone to "film it and put it on worldstar."[108] Banks later apologized and said that her outburst was a result of her mistaking a fictional interview with Palin as a real event.[109] In the satirical article, Palin is quoted as saying "Negroes loved being slaves."[110]

Hated that song then and I fucking hate it now.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2