maryportfuncity

Dead Pop Stars

5 hours ago, msc said:

That's a shame. I know one of our admin is a huge fan.

Must be the one from New Jersey... :biggrin:

But yeah, love the doo-wop sound and the Four Seasons were its apex. Plus home state pride. The saddest covid celeb death for me on a personal level even if he was already quite old. :rip:

• Like 3

Reports on Twitternews that Steve Phillips, guitarist with The Rainmakers, has died of COVID:

As far as singles go, a UK one-hit wonder with Let My People Go Go which reached #18 in April 1987.

• Like 1

The Wurzels have announced that one-time member Tony Baylis has died. Tony joined the band in 1969, and appears on the band’s three top 40 singles including the chart-topper “Combine Harvester”. He left the band in 1983 and emigrated to Australia.

• Haha 1

Tears on some pillows no doubt, Johnny Nash dies aged 80.

• Like 3
  • Sad 4

5 hours ago, time said:

Tears on some pillows no doubt, Johnny Nash dies aged 80.

Well, definitely Iain’s for a start.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

He can’t see clearly now...

3 hours ago, harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy said:

Poor Johnny, destined to be overshadowed in death by a less talented songwriter/musician. The Henry Cooper to EVH's Bin Laden, the Farah to his Jacko. 

You’re a moron with a tin ear.  

• Confused 1

On 01/10/2020 at 19:56, TheKeysOfMarinus said:

The Wurzels have announced that one-time member Tony Baylis has died. Tony joined the band in 1969, and appears on the band’s three top 40 singles including the chart-topper “Combine Harvester”. He left the band in 1983 and emigrated to Australia.

Tony Baylis is on my DDP theme team of #1 hitmakers. He was 85, and apparently in poor health for a while  – dementia, prostate cancer, frail and prone to falls. Parkinson's to top it off. Poor bloke had well and truly been through the thresher.

He's not a scoring hit yet. He's one of the deepest cuts on my team, but there was a Wurzel who left before they'd even had a hit single (Reg Quantrill) who bagged several qualifying obits in 2016. Baylis was a member for 15 years, and one of only three members of their chart-topping lineup. He was also interviewed by BBC Somerset a few years ago. Top story on BBC Somerset last time I checked is a dog who swallowed a fishhook.

• Like 1

Not yet reported by the wider media but wikipedia and Twitter are saying former bassist for AC/DC  Paul Matters has died.

• Like 2

John Holbrook died last night.  Trying to get more info. Back soon. 

10 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

I've heard of hardly any of the people mentioned in that interview.  :wacko:

Makes me feel quite young for once :D

34 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Bizarrely, an English group and yet not one of their singles ever charted inside the top 75 in the UK!

Your Love is a tune. I must've heard it a million times from playing Grand Theft Auto: Vice City.

2 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Bizarrely, an English group and yet not one of their singles ever charted inside the top 75 in the UK!

Your Love is a tune. I must've heard it a million times from playing Grand Theft Auto: Vice City.

I thought they were Aussie.

I worked in the ‘record store’ when their debut album came out.

Reports on Twitter that James Broad of late-90s power popsters Silver Sun has died of bowel cancer:

• Like 1

Lot of people had them down as the nadir of the Virgin Radio drivetime end of Britpop, but I've got a soft spot for "I'll See You Around" ngl.