maryportfuncity

Dead Pop Stars

3 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

Reports on Twitter that James Broad of late-90s power popsters Silver Sun has died of bowel cancer:

I think I would have died by suicide if I'd ever had to watch these fuckers "perform".

That's a shame. I really liked the s/t debut album, breezy powerpop. They were 10 years ahead of their time for hitting the motherlode as The Feeling, and rivalled Dodgy as the least hip UK indie-ish band of the 90s. I'll go for:

There's something very poignant (not ghoulish) about reading someone's last few tweets, the ordinary banalities of a life about to be extinguished...

On ‎17‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 17:13, msc said:

It's been a while since there was a stupidly long list of aging folk. So here is an extended version of that music one, up to 1958, as musicians keep dying in their 60s of late. All genres, put here after Admin Advice. Every single name will QO as and when, and I expect a good... 50% at least to be deadpool fodder within the next 5 years or so.

(It ain't an all-encompassing list because duh, that'd be 20, 000 odd names!)

-         

-          1945: Rod Stewart, Dave Walker (Fleetwood Mac), Eric Clapton, Elkie Brooks, Ritchie Blackmore, Pete Townshend, Gary Brooker (Procul Harum), Colin Blunstone (Zombies), Labi Siffre, David Knights (Procol Harum), Ian Gillan, Max Boyce, Al Stewart, Bryan Ferry, Wayne Fontana, Stephen Stills, Rod Evans (Deep Purple), Robert Wyatt, Ashley Hutchings, Micky Dolenz, John Barbata (Jefferson), Bjorn Ulvaeus, Rita Coolidge, Bob Seger, John Fogerty, Gary Brooker, Rod Argent,  Carly Simon, Debbie Harry, Danny McCullock (Animals), Kim Carnes, Ken Hensley, Van Morrison, Don McLean, Kevin Godley, Neil Young, Anni-Frid Lyngstad, John McVie, Bette Midler, Peter Criss (KISS)

Ken Hensley of Uriah Heep reported dead: https://www.loudersound.com/news/ken-hensley-ex-uriah-heep-dead-at-75

• Like 3

I don't care what other thread it's been mentioned in, the POP STAR (and songwriter, record producer and novelist) Len '1-2-3' Barry has died. It's a pity he got sued by Motown's writers over his biggest hit, but probably fair enough.

I suppose they called it blue-eyed soul because white-skinned soul didn't quite have the same cachet.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy said:

I suppose they called it blue-eyed soul because white-skinned soul didn't quite have the same cachet.

Funny, I was musing over that epithet while I was making dinner yesterday.

And certainly he belongs in here.  I don't think he's been posted anywhere else, except for Ulitzer's chart encyclopedia which is a standalone topic.

Bristol Stomp a catchy little tune too from Len's doo-wop days:

Big US hit but doesn't seem to have made any UK chart splash outside of a 1979 cover.

• Like 1

as you were.

*Crossposting*

As pointed out by @redrumours in the UK Singles Chart thread, Derek Quinn, guitarist on the hits of beat group Freddie and the Dreamers (wiki) died back in October.

Wiki suggests he died from COVID-19 on the morning of the 22nd. Must've been quick because he was promoting gigs the week prior.

His timeline makes for some pretty uncomfortable reading.

6AAFBA71-FBCF-442D-BB59-972996CAA75C.jpeg

A096558F-792F-419A-A9C5-AEA4762AE93F.jpeg

243A48F3-AB09-40C8-9508-091EF8C9E288.jpeg

9E39AEC0-6376-486A-9DB2-D1CFF07FCA3B.jpeg

• Sad 1
  • Shocked 2

Anybody else in that photo obitable?  :evil2:

1 hour ago, Toast said:

Anybody else in that photo obitable?  :evil2:

Good point, I hadn’t even thought of that. The one on the edge of the photo (on Quinn’s right) is Gerald “Ged” Ford. No idea who he is. All the others are members of Brotherhood of Man!

Derek Quinn went out on top - of a list of absolute cunts.  Bye cunto.  

1 hour ago, ajlposh said:

R&B singer Jeremih is currently in the ICU with COVID-19.  It’s not looking good

Def In A Jam.....

4 hours ago, ajlposh said:

R&B singer Jeremih is currently in the ICU with COVID-19.  It’s not looking good

If Jeremih dies of COVID-19, he would be the biggest name (at least in America) to have died of this disease so far.  

2 minutes ago, BCAlum2000 said:

If Jeremih dies of COVID-19, he would be the biggest name (at least in America) to have died of this disease so far.  

I’m under 20 and I live in the US, and I have never heard of this person until today. No offense, but he seems very much a has been. 

1 hour ago, Joey Russ said:

I’m under 20 and I live in the US, and I have never heard of this person until today. No offense, but he seems very much a has been. 

Pretty much.  He hasn’t had a hit in a while

13 hours ago, Joey Russ said:

Im in my 20's and live in the UK and have never heard of him either.

On 14/11/2020 at 22:04, ajlposh said:

Improving.

Ascension Parish (LA) musical legend Van ‘The Man’ Broussard has died at the age of 83.

“It’s with a very heavy heart that I post the passing of a true Ascension Parish legend,” a family friend posted on Facebook Tuesday morning. “Mr. Van Broussard, the King of Swamp Pop, passed away this morning.

The obit contains a lengthy biography.

• Like 1

Music engineer Bruce Swedien, who is best known for his work with Michael Jackson but helped with other artists as well is dead at 86

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

Ascension Parish (LA) musical legend Van ‘The Man’ Broussard has died at the age of 83.

“It’s with a very heavy heart that I post the passing of a true Ascension Parish legend,” a family friend posted on Facebook Tuesday morning. “Mr. Van Broussard, the King of Swamp Pop, passed away this morning.

The obit contains a lengthy biography.

Another “swamp pop” performer gone after Rod Bernard in July.