maryportfuncity

Dead Pop Stars

Rob Hopcraft, a member of Black Lace during their "scraping the lower reaches of the Top 100 Singles Chart" era, apparently died back in May 2020:

While the above says COVID, Wiki has it as the result of a fall.

His most successful choon was the re-recording of Agadoo, which reached #64 in August 1998.

• Like 1

LD Beghtol, best known for collaborating with The Magnetic Fields on their seminal triple album 69 Love Songs, has died at the age of 55. A sad one for me, as I'd easily rank that album in my top 10 of all time, and I love his vocals on the album.

https://pitchfork.com/news/ld-beghtol-singer-songwriter-and-magnetic-fields-collaborator-dead-at-55/

On 17/02/2019 at 17:13, msc said:

It's been a while since there was a stupidly long list of aging folk. So here is an extended version of that music one, up to 1958, as musicians keep dying in their 60s of late. All genres, put here after Admin Advice. Every single name will QO as and when, and I expect a good... 50% at least to be deadpool fodder within the next 5 years or so.

(It ain't an all-encompassing list because duh, that'd be 20, 000 odd names!)

*snip*

-          1926: Duncan Campbell, Tony Bennett, Gyorgy Kurtag, Friedrich Cerha, Franco Cerri

*snip*

This guy I'm curious to know more about. He's 95 next year. Was a part of Ted Heath's orchestra, playing trumpet; and probably the only Scottish jazz musician born in the 1920s who's still with us?

He was also married to Elvis Presley's cousin(!), June. She died in 2010. Campbell then moved to Weymouth in 2011 to live with his daughter Karen. (I'm quoting his Wiki page here but I assume it's accurate).

Any trace of him since? Do we think he will obit or die off radar?

gettyimages-1069571922-594x594.jpg.47b080860306122da50ac13481869e0d.jpg

8 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

This guy I'm curious to know more about. He's 95 next year. Was a part of Ted Heath's orchestra, playing trumpet; and probably the only Scottish jazz musician born in the 1920s who's still with us?

He was also married to Elvis Presley's cousin(!), June. She died in 2010. Campbell then moved to Weymouth in 2011 to live with his daughter Karen. (I'm quoting his Wiki page here but I assume it's accurate).

Any trace of him since? Do we think he will obit or die off radar?

gettyimages-1069571922-594x594.jpg.47b080860306122da50ac13481869e0d.jpg

Duncan Campbell, born 1926 in Springburn (the only one to that area and age, there's another born 1928) but both have no middle name. Married June Noble Presley, who died in Pitlochry in 2010 aged 73. They got married in Fraserburgh (!) in 1958. Again, he's a middle name-less wonder. There are 2 options for him on the probates but... they seem too far away from Weymouth for my liking (Winchester/Brighton). No sign of death notices in the Scotlands Record, checking every Duncan Campbell since 2010.

Question - did Elvis actually have a Scottish born cousin called June? Because her surname is spelt differently and I'm not finding links to her bar this Wiki page at half past midnight.

The free version of 192 is also at a loss finding anyone of that age called Duncan Campbell in Weymouth.

And this is where I head to bed for now, having assumed this would be an open and shut case. Never assume, clearly...

• Thanks 1

Carl Mann has died at the age of 78

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Phantom said:

Carl Mann has died at the age of 78

Strangely I was listening to my Spotify's Discover Weekly yesterday and his version of "Mona Lisa" was among the playlist.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Death Impends said:

Strangely I was listening to my Spotify's Discover Weekly yesterday and his version of "Mona Lisa" was among the playlist.

If only someone had added it HERE when posting a musician’s obit.

Check out the live versions of the early 70s. Great fun.

24 minutes ago, redrumours said:

Another Woodstock legend bites the dust.

RIP.

Not at that time. Woodstock was only their third gig ever.

24 minutes ago, Whitehouse said:

I knew that it's probably why they were  cut from the orignal film.

40 minutes ago, Whitehouse said:

Veterans then, one more gig than CSNY had played before they did Woodstock

• Like 1

4 hours ago, redrumours said:

I knew that it's probably why they were  cut from the orignal film.

462bb5385dd6ffe7486bf22a45e96c72.gif

2 minutes ago, Spade_Cooley said:

I hate when you can just tell somebody edited/authored MOST of their own Wikipedia page. His is basically a sales pitch for his bloody books.

"Dignam recounted his story of drug addiction in his autobiography, This is Christy Dignam, co-written by journalist Neil Fetherstonhaugh and published by Merlin Publishing.[3] One reviewer said it "should be required reading for anyone hovering on the edges of the drug culture."

"He deals with the intersections of his personal and professional lives in the autobiography (with Damian Corless) 'My Crazy World' published worldwide by Simon And Schuster in September 2019"

• Like 1

Throwing him out there as a DDP possibility for 2021 as he will obit...

Bobby Angelo (real name Robert Hemmings) of 60s band Bobby Angelo and the Tuxedos suffered a big stroke in 2014 according to several posts from his brother on Facebook. He recovered but is turning 80 next year.

Pictured below in 2018 with Harry Redknapp.

BC769B71-8B8B-466C-852A-73DEE84784DA.jpeg